X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining NG SF from Navy after age 35

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding whether or not I can attend SFRE to be considered for SF in NG if I join Navy reserve at age 35. Any advice or perspective on my situation is greatly appreciated. My plan would be to join the Navy (since age cut-off is 39 and I just turned 35) as a Corpsman or an Intelligence MOS. I would then serve until I reached an E-4 grade and then look for the first available SFRE date. I have enough college credits to begin my initial enlistment as an E-3. I live in Southern California and this is what I gathered from Company A 5/19th Special Forces Group: "Must be male, minimum age of 20. No maximum age, based on military qualifications and individual evaluation." My current situation is I've actually been in the process with ANG for almost a year already. But the long process of a medical waiver finally cleared 6 days past my 35th birthday. This has put my enlistment on hold for 3 months now. Even a letter from a Congressman hasn't yielded any results. My background is I'm a Fireman in South Central Los Angeles and have been so now for 13 years. The area I work in has long been known for it's gang activities. Shootings along with other violent crimes have become common place there since long before I was assigned to that station. Because of my experience/training, I feel that 18D or 18E is where I would like to eventually serve. 18E because effective emergency fireground communications with radios is also a big part of my duties. If given the opportunity, I would like the Army to teach me how to do this job at their capacity. So again my question is: Can a path to Special Forces be accomplished through the Navy after 35 y/o? I apologize ahead of time for the long post but like I said earlier, I've been in this process for over a year now and I have a hard time taking no for an answer. Thank you in advance. Truck33

Is it possible to apply for Special Forces as a Navy Reservist? Yes

Would you be allowed to attend the SFRE while in the Navy? Maybe, that will be a unit call.
    But even if you could attend and you passed; you are still going to be required to attend Army Basic training (BCT) and most likely Army MOS training. Especially, if you’re Navy rating/MOS doesn’t transfer over.

Here is also a caveat. By the time you would be able to apply for SF, you would be at least age 36. At that age you will need to bring your “A” Game and be in top physical shape, to the point of making 20-30 year old look pathetic and have a higher knowledge of combat tactics than what you would typically get from the Navy. One reason is that Airborne School has an age cut-off of 36. Can the age be waivered? Yes, but is the unit "going" to waiver?

So basically, why do you think you would be an asset to Special Forces and what are you bringing to the table?
    Last edited by SF Hunter; January 31st, 2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I would hope that my job experience and understanding patient care could be an asset. I know what to do without hesitation if a person has a gunshot wound or heat stroke to diabetic emergency. My experience has already taught me how to handle emergencies in other than ideal environments such as the side of a road or on a hiking trail up a mountain. Furthermore I was born here in the US and am of Thai descent. I can communicate Thai with someone who speaks little to no English although it's not perfect. I believe Thai is a Special Forces language in need right now. I'm not sure how much of an asset that brings. Most importantly I truly in my heart, believe in the Special Forces mission. I understand Special Forces are not just experts but they are also teachers and coaches. My station is known as one of the busiest and most reputable in the country. Because of this, we are a training firehouse. I have been teaching rookies for over 10 years on how to do their job. I believe there will be a place I can apply this experience. By no means am I comparing SF with being a Fireman, I'm just saying I have learned over the years how to effectively teach and get someone to understand what works and what doesn't. I love my country. I know everyone in the military has done their part in this war on terror. I do believe Special Forces has the biggest piece of the pie in that regard. I just want the opportunity to put my hand in and pull my weight. 2 questions for SF Hunter: 1) Is there anything to your knowledge that would get me a shot at SFRE better than the path I've stated given my situation? 2) If I am allowed to participate in SFRE I would obviously be willing to go to Airborne School. Is it possible to be selected from the "tryouts" and THEN be sent to Airborne School? Thank you again in advance. Truck33

Comment

Question 1: I would recommend you look at the Air National Guard (ANG) instead of the Navy Reserve. See if you could qualify and enlist for any of their Special Operations Forces (SOF). Then at least you would not be required to attend Army BCT and you would get Airborne School through the Air Force.

Question 2: You would not be sent to Airborne School until after you are successfully selected at SFAS. Which of course first requires passing the SFRE, enlistment, possible BCT/AIT, then SFAS.

Comment

OP the 129th Rescue Wing out of California has a Pararescue section, they are Air National Guard. That will probably be your best bet unless somewhere else close to you has Combat Control or maybe TACP. TACP is not SOF, at least the majority of them are not but some do get the opportunity to attend Airborne and I think SERE is also part of their pipeline. They deploy with conventional Army ground forces to provide close air support. Not sure if TACP would have to attend Army basic if they crossed over. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
            OP the 129th Rescue Wing out of California has a Pararescue section, they are Air National Guard. That will probably be your best bet unless somewhere else close to you has Combat Control or maybe TACP. TACP is not SOF, at least the majority of them are not but some do get the opportunity to attend Airborne and I think SERE is also part of their pipeline. They deploy with conventional Army ground forces to provide close air support. Not sure if TACP would have to attend Army basic if they crossed over. Good luck.
            Actually TACP are considered SOF, according to the Air Force and also in regards to Army BCT.

Comment

Thank you for your help

Comment

Working...
              X