X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can GNPS enlist in SF?

I was separated from the Air Force back in 2011 for dropping from the special ops selection course with entry level separation 2C. Since then I have been trying to join active duty, but with the business rules, I am only able to join reserves or NG. I have had mixed feeling about joining the guard until recently. A buddy of mine, who was separated from the navy for medical reasons joined the guard as an 18x candidate. I know we have two different scenarios of why we were separated, but if I am given the opportunity for a second chance to prove myself after doing plenty of maturing, I will dive in head first. So if anyone has any knowledge if I would be eligible, a response would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to contact the MD NG but have not received a response yet.

Your first and biggest hurdle is even getting a waiver approved for reenlistment, much less qualifying for a Special Forces candidate contract (REP 63). I can let you know that the unit in MD (B/2/20th SFG) is very overstrengthed at this point in time and very difficult to get in...period.

Have you applied for SF through the specialforces.nationalguard.com website?

Comment

• Khappersett
      Khappersett commented
      Editing a comment
      I already know I am able to get a waiver. But that is what I am wondering. Active duty doesn't let waivers into SF, so is it the same for the NG?

Okay first of all, yes your discharge "is" waiverable. But, that does not mean you are guaranteed to have a waiver approved or whether the state will even consider it. The requirements for SF are the same, whether Guard or active duty.

You will most likely not qualify for a REP 63 and will be required to enlist, complete Army BCT and MOS training before you could apply/try-out for SF.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; November 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Khappersett
      Khappersett commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's what I thought. It just confuses me how my buddy got a contract when he is GNPS as well though. He lives in Florida now and I only talked to him a little before he left for basic. So we never went into much detail.

Which state/NG SF unit did your buddy enlist with and how long ago?

Comment

• Khappersett
      Khappersett commented
      Editing a comment
      The unit in Florida, so I think it's the 19th? But I'm not sure how long. I know he went through a long process to get the contract, but he got it.

Have you been in contact with the SF recruiter in Maryland? If not, I recommend you submit your application through the above SF website link.

Comment

• Khappersett
      Khappersett commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't received any replies yet. I emailed 5 different addresses, so I'll instead make a phone call tomorrow. But thank you for your help. If you happen to hear anything that is relevant to this subject please post back. And also, if I receive an answer I will let you know.

• Khappersett
      Khappersett commented
      Editing a comment
      I have spoken to the SF recruiter and have a meeting on Tuesday
Working...
X