Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor wanting to go National Guard SF

To whomever this may apply to,
    I'm currently a resident doctor in my last year of residency in Texas. I spent 4 years on active duty right after high school. I was a medic. Currently I am in the NG and would like to pursue the SF route via the NG way. I have no interest in wanting to become an officer(not that I don't respect them) . I love being enlisted and would like to stay enlisted. My question is, would I be able to pursue an SF background, while i'm still a doctor on the civilian side? I've asked around and have never really got a straight answer back, due to no one else really being in my position. Another question that I have is, if i were able to go through the pipe line would I have to be an SF medic? because to be quite honest, I really don't want to. I have a Doctorate in medicine and was a Combat Medic( with a tour in Afghanistan ). I don't want to seem asinine but I would really like to learn another trade( not because I don't like the medical field but because I want to learn something else for my own personal goals and dreams). but to be honest, id go anywhere if it were with a Tab. even if it were to become an SF medic. Any intel would suffice. thank you very much for you consideration.

Re: Doctor wanting to go National Guard SF

You don't have to be an officer if you don't want to nor are you required to be a medic.

The gist of it is that they will asses you and assign you a position (Demo, Medic, Weapons, etc) during your training. SF Hunter will chime in to give a more detailed answer.

Now, you have to realize that being a doctor and a SF operator could cause some time conflicts. Especially on the doctor side. Will you be able to take off 3-5 weeks at the drop of a hat for a mission? Can your medical career afford the 2 years off that is required for SF training?

Comment

Re: Doctor wanting to go National Guard SF

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
      To whomever this may apply to,
      I'm currently a resident doctor in my last year of residency in Texas. I spent 4 years on active duty right after high school. I was a medic. Currently I am in the NG and would like to pursue the SF route via the NG way. I have no interest in wanting to become an officer(not that I don't respect them) . I love being enlisted and would like to stay enlisted. My question is, would I be able to pursue an SF background, while i'm still a doctor on the civilian side? I've asked around and have never really got a straight answer back, due to no one else really being in my position. Another question that I have is, if i were able to go through the pipe line would I have to be an SF medic? because to be quite honest, I really don't want to. I have a Doctorate in medicine and was a Combat Medic( with a tour in Afghanistan ). I don't want to seem asinine but I would really like to learn another trade( not because I don't like the medical field but because I want to learn something else for my own personal goals and dreams). but to be honest, id go anywhere if it were with a Tab. even if it were to become an SF medic. Any intel would suffice. thank you very much for you consideration.
      To get straight to the point. Your civilian background has some bearing on your evaluation, but it will not dictate what you do in Special Forces. We prefer guys to be cross-trained as much as possible. So, the opportunity to become an SF Weapons Sgt (18B). for example, is a probability. Basically, at the start of the SFRE, you will create a wish list to prioritize your preferred SF MOS. Ultimately, the decision will be up to the unit. Someone with your skill sets would definitely be an asset to Special Forces.

The required training to become SF and then later OPTEMPO could pose some issues with your medical career on the civilian side. That is something you will need to take into consideration before starting this path.

Best of luck!!
      Last edited by SF Hunter; September 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X