Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

    All,

    I will be receiving my commission in the MNARNG in about a year. First, I am wondering if branching combat arms is the best way to get into a SF unit in the future. I am a 09R drilling with a CAV unit and I'm planning on branching armor and going back to the unit.

    Also, I understand I will have to wait until I'm at least an O2 until I can even apply to transfer to a SF unit. Is the process of transferring states a difficult one? If I go from Minnesota to the Colorado or Chicago SF units, will I go to the SFAS before I actually transfer units and states?

    Finally, what is the current need and recruiting status like for NGSF units currently? I know it is state dependent but if anyone knows what any state is like, preferably in the Midwest considering I'll be flying to every drill since I'm not moving out of Minnesota. Also, I speak Russian. Will this give me an advantage when applying to get into a unit?

    Thank you for your time

  • #2
    Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

    Originally posted by Boul0088 View Post
    All,

    I will be receiving my commission in the MNARNG in about a year. First, I am wondering if branching combat arms is the best way to get into a SF unit in the future. I am a 09R drilling with a CAV unit and I'm planning on branching armor and going back to the unit.

    Also, I understand I will have to wait until I'm at least an O2 until I can even apply to transfer to a SF unit. Is the process of transferring states a difficult one? If I go from Minnesota to the Colorado or Chicago SF units, will I go to the SFAS before I actually transfer units and states?

    Finally, what is the current need and recruiting status like for NGSF units currently? I know it is state dependent but if anyone knows what any state is like, preferably in the Midwest considering I'll be flying to every drill since I'm not moving out of Minnesota. Also, I speak Russian. Will this give me an advantage when applying to get into a unit?

    Thank you for your time
    sfhunter will be along shortly to answer your questions. There is also a LT on the forums who I believe recently went through SF training. Other than that, any responses you get on this topic will be at the kindergarden level.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

      The skills tested during the initial portions of the SF pipeline are typically associated with combat arms and specifically infantry. The more familiar you are with land navigation, packing/carrying a ruck, and fieldcraft in general, the easier your time will be at SFAS. You can branch quartermaster and still get picked up by an SF unit, but the implied lack of exposure to the skills being assessed at SFAS and beyond will put you at a deficit.

      As far as interstate transfers, it depends on the states involved. Some make it harder than others. I have no familiarity with the states you mentioned (I was in NJ and transferred to MD for SFAS/SFQC). You may be able to attend SFAS before transferring to a state with an SF unit, but only if your current state is willing to pay for you to attend SFAS with the knowledge that if you are selected they'll lose you. NJ was not willing to do this, so I transferred to MD before attending SFAS.

      As for your last question, I suggest you wait for SF Hunter to reply. Good luck, and make sure you give your initial branch assignment 100% of your effort while you're there. It's not just a stepping stone to SF.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

        Any unit's strength, SF or not, should not be discussed openly.

        As far transfers, the more work you do yourself, the faster it will go. That implies knowing the system and requirements before doing so.

        And knowing Russian won't give you an advantage per se. However, you could possible eliminate the last 6 months of SFQC by testing out. If you went to Colorado, it is highly likely that you can skip the language phase of SFQC. With Illinois, I'm not sure. I don't know what their AOR is anymore. If their AOR doesn't have Russian, you may end up learning another language.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

          Originally posted by Boul0088 View Post
          Finally, what is the current need and recruiting status like for NGSF units currently? I know it is state dependent but if anyone knows what any state is like, preferably in the Midwest considering I'll be flying to every drill since I'm not moving out of Minnesota. Also, I speak Russian. Will this give me an advantage when applying to get into a unit?
          Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
          The skills tested during the initial portions of the SF pipeline are typically associated with combat arms and specifically infantry. The more familiar you are with land navigation, packing/carrying a ruck, and fieldcraft in general, the easier your time will be at SFAS. You can branch quartermaster and still get picked up by an SF unit, but the implied lack of exposure to the skills being assessed at SFAS and beyond will put you at a deficit.
          Jersey Dirtbag is right on the money when it comes to the preferred Basic Officer Branch most likely to succeed in SF.

          Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
          Any unit's strength, SF or not, should not be discussed openly.

          As far transfers, the more work you do yourself, the faster it will go. That implies knowing the system and requirements before doing so.

          And knowing Russian won't give you an advantage per se. However, you could possible eliminate the last 6 months of SFQC by testing out. If you went to Colorado, it is highly likely that you can skip the language phase of SFQC. With Illinois, I'm not sure. I don't know what their AOR is anymore. If their AOR doesn't have Russian, you may end up learning another language.
          Also like Rhadamanthus stated. Unit strengths are not discussed, plus they change on a regular basis. You are looking about 2-3 years after commissioning before you can even apply for SF. Please refer to the thread: "How to apply for Special Forces as a current or prior service member"http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...service-member

          Your language skill wont hurt, but also it will not give you an advantage.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; October 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

            Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            Jersey Dirtbag is right on the money when it comes to the preferred Basic Officer Branch most likely to succeed in SF.

            Also like Rhadamanthus stated. Unit strengths are not discussed, plus they change on a regular basis. You are looking about 2-3 years after commissioning before you can even apply for SF. Please refer to the thread: "How to apply for Special Forces as a current or prior service member"http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...service-member

            Your language skill wont hurt, but also it will not give you an advantage.
            SFHunter, would it be a safe bet to have the OP focus on A) getting commissioned and B) work on PT, endurance and to perhaps Google some of the physical/mental challenges that trip up candidates who go to SFQC?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

              Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
              SFHunter, would it be a safe bet to have the OP focus on A) getting commissioned and B) work on PT, endurance and to perhaps Google some of the physical/mental challenges that trip up candidates who go to SFQC?
              TxIntel,

              Yes it would be safe to say for the OP to focus on the 25-meter target.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Best Branch for SF Officer Hopeful

                Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                TxIntel,

                Yes it would be safe to say for the OP to focus on the 25-meter target.
                Roger that, 25 M target. I have 19D enlisted experience, 315 on May's APFT, and expert in last IWQ/CSWQ. Warrior tasks and skills will continue to be improved. Finish ROTC and get an Armor slot.

                спасибо

                Comment

                Working...
                X