X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Question

Hello, I am a 23 year old with a college degree and an EMT-B certification. I am interested in the National Guard SF in Florida, specifically doing an 18-X and becoming a medic. In high school I found out that I had an anomaly in my cerebral artery; it's not diagnosed as an aneurysm, but it's definitely not nothing either. I am not limited from doing any activity aside from deep underwater diving. My question is: Do I need a medical waiver for something like this? I see that under Army Regulation 40-501, aneurysms and neurological vascular problems are a disqualifying circumstance. Would the NG even consider considering me for a waiver or is this an absolute disqualifier? What is my best play? Try and go to MEPS and get approved or disqualified? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Medical Question

Originally posted by Psteak View Post
    Hello, I am a 23 year old with a college degree and an EMT-B certification. I am interested in the National Guard SF in Florida, specifically doing an 18-X and becoming a medic. In high school I found out that I had an anomaly in my cerebral artery; it's not diagnosed as an aneurysm, but it's definitely not nothing either. I am not limited from doing any activity aside from deep underwater diving. My question is: Do I need a medical waiver for something like this? I see that under Army Regulation 40-501, aneurysms and neurological vascular problems are a disqualifying circumstance. Would the NG even consider considering me for a waiver or is this an absolute disqualifier? What is my best play? Try and go to MEPS and get approved or disqualified? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Were you actually diagnosed with the condition by a medial professional, if so what occurred that led to the discovery?

Comment

It was discovered through a concussion that I sustained from football. I got an MRI and they found what they called an "anomaly" on my cerebral artery. I went to see the head of neurosurgery at Tampa General. He said that it's definitely something, but never actually diagnosed it as an aneurysm. For the past 6 years I have been getting an annual check-up (which has revealed no change at all). So yes, it was diagnosed by a professional.

Comment

And by "something", he said that it is a widening of the artery, but does not fit into any particular aneurysm category.

Comment

I am going to Private Message (PM) you.

Comment

Working...
          X