• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McRaven issues statement to SOF Soldiers

RELEASE NUMBER: 130626-02
    DATE POSTED: JUNE 26, 2013

McRaven issues statement to Soldiers

SOF Warriors,

Some recent media reports about the lifting of the combat exclusion for women have been confusing, so I want to clarify our plan for the USSOCOM enterprise.

As you know, the SECDEF rescinded the 1994 Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule. Simply put, this means that women are cleared to serve in units whose primary mission is to engage in direct combat on the ground.

Consequently, we are in the process of implementing the SECDEF’s guidance to integrate women in all combat Military Operational Specialties (MOSs) no later than January 2016.

However, as we begin the implementation process, if we determine that there are SOF unique issues affecting the successful integration of women into SOF, then and only then, will I submit a request for exemption to the SECDEF.

More LINK

Re: McRaven issues statement to SOF Soldiers

If you are in the military or work in government (or a high-visible celebrity) and provide an initial response that does not coincide with the current liberal agenda; you better immediate retract your initial comments and provide a "better", lucid, politically-correct response or you will end up packing your bags.

Again, this is just my personal observations that I been experiencing over the last five years and my personal opinion.

Comment

Here is the initial memo

http://www.defense.gov/news/SOCOMWIS...tationPlan.pdf

and

http://www.stripes.com/news/supporte...ombat-1.226563

Comment

If/when women get integrated in my company I have some very fun battle drills to work on that will break everyone off. I have a feeling my career will end short because people wont appreciate the reality I will bring. And I'm not even SOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post

If/when women get integrated in my company I have some very fun battle drills to work on that will break everyone off. I have a feeling my career will end short because people wont appreciate the reality I will bring. And I'm not even SOF!
          The physical requirements of serving in combat arms units will guarantee a high percentage of women being med boarded out. It's counter to the intent of integrating women into combat arms units so that they may take on more O6+ positions/assignments later on in their careers.

Comment

They are not. Unfortunately, none of us are at a pay grade where we can influence policy. It's basically a choice of either adapting to the changing environment or stepping aside and letting someone else who is willing to adapt take over.

Units that are a part of SOCOM will probably be able to push the transition off a while longer than conventional combat arms units.

Even if your opinion is squarely against women serving in combat arms units, you should be fine if you can keep your thoughts in safe company. It's whether you will want to. My guess is that if someone openly shares their opinion, they won't last that long in today's political correct environment. Being too frank just makes EO complaints far too easy. It's going to be a sad day when you see officers and soldiers that you know as good soldiers marginalized overnight because of this but it is what it is. And the purge is coming.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; October 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I think you guys are well over reacting. Women have been allowed in FA for the past decade. I think I saw on in the OBC class after mine. Just becuase they are allowed, I wouldn't expect see a whole hoard of females jump into combat arms MOSs. If anything, this opens up slots in BDE below units for support MOSs there previously coded for males.

The sky didn't fall after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and I don't see the sky falling now.

Comment

The standards have already begun to be lowered on the Officer side at the Infantry school house. We were briefed about it by an O6 at IBOLC.

They lowered some of the standards for the next class then we were briefed that the standards wouldn't change when the females arrived. Another LT asked him whether lowering the standard prior to them arriving so they can meet the standard, rather than lowering the standard when they arrived were the same thing and the the O6 simply repeated "The standards will not be lowered when the females arrived". The question was asked in several different manners by different LT's and he repeated the same thing.

It will be a sad day and have an impact. I didnt think much of it until IBOLC and now with an infantry platoon.

OCS is weaksauce by comparison and the entire northeast region only had one female graduate in traditional class with my year group. The only reason that happened is that I talked her out of quitting on a staircase in CT at phase I and the senior TAC called her every day at 0445 to wake her up for PT (even during our time off during the week and non drill weekends).

Every other female from every other state dropped out.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                  I think you guys are well over reacting. Women have been allowed in FA for the past decade.
                  At the Fires Brigade level or in Rocket/Missile units. No cannons for them (read: no hauling rounds).

Comment

Gay men, black men, Latino men, liberal men, conservative men, atheist men, Muslim men are all still men.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                      Gay men, black men, Latino men, liberal men, conservative men, atheist men, Muslim men are all still men.
                      What about transgender men?

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        The sky didn't fall after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and I don't see the sky falling now.
                        It's a slow fade.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                          What about transgender men?
                          Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          It's a slow fade.
                          OKAY, this thread is starting to turn in a bad direction.

Comment

I know the sky will not fall with any change that I do not agree with but I know the sky will not fall if we allowed ex-convicts, midgets, or mentally-challenged people into the ranks. Why do I say that? Because the way the military is, if you do not accept what the military is not instituting; then you simply get out or your career will be threatened. You better accept change while serving (Remember that both Clintons and Obama changed their tune). Just like integration in the late 40s. I am not a bigot or racist; hence will not make a good KKK member. But if I wanted to be a part of it; I could; as ridiculous as it sounds. I believe that is the reason from what I am seeing. It might not make sense in our culture and military for certain groups to be in certain institutions but at least there is that opportunity but, on the contrary, I do think there are specific groups that should not be eligible to partake in something for numerous reasons (e.g. for what an organization professes). But that is just me. What is happening in the military; should now transfer to professional sports (e.g women linebackers/quarterbacks in the NFL). They just need to work the locker room issue. But since Starship Troopers shows that the sexes can co-mingle and fight as one; so should our military.

The reason many will deal with these changes is because you simply realize that you career and family is more important and there is nothing that you can do about it. Obviously, the opinions for the broad, sweeping changes have been the minority but because there was a political agenda behind it; it was going to happen based on the current dominant party.

I have people tell me (without me even asking) that they will get out of the military because women are now allowed in combat arms (these opinions came from grunts in my brigade) and I personally had a young, white, southern male Soldier tell me while deployed saying he was not going to re-enlist because of DADT passage.

Many will say good riddens and many will respect the decision of the young Soldier. That is his right. I have my personal beliefs that I do not agree with those changes but I take the training and drive on. I think life is too short for complaining but I hope there will not be any negative incidents because of these changes. I still remember the real incident that was depicted in the movie Soldier's Boy.

Many are angry but they still love the Army and would like to have a retirement after all their sacrifice. That is an end-state worth of silence and sacrifice over personal beliefs.
                            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                              I personally had a young, white, southern male Soldier tell me while deployed saying he was not going to re-enlist because of DADT passage.

I wonder why you felt it was necessary to describe him in this way.
                              Last edited by Mungo; July 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM. Reason: oopsy

Comment

Working...
                              X