Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two SFPC Questions

Hello everybody,

This is my first post. My boyfriend is finishing OSUT with an 18X contract. I have two quick logistical questions of my own that I've researched and haven't found answers to. I hope it's okay that I'm asking them instead of him.

1. I've been trying to find out by what conveyance soldiers get to Ft. Bragg for SOPC/Pre-SFAS after they graduate from Airborne School at Ft. Benning (both of which are in his orders, followed by SFAS). I have read that they usually depart within hours of graduation, by bus, but haven't confirmed it. Is it a civilian bus? Do they ever fly or are allowed to get there by their own means if they have a car? Does anyone have knowledge of when he will be informed of his travel plans or options (upon arrival at BAC, during the last few days of it, last minute, other)?

2. What can we expect during the hold before SOPC (the 3-week prep course before SFAS) begins? Any information would be appreciated, whether it's about a typical day and hours, if cell phones are still allowed, if weekends are free, if it's normal to be able to to go off post during off-hours? I think I have read enough about SOPC and SFAS to know that none of the things I just listed are allowed then, but he may be in hold prior to this for a considerable amount of time, which I'd really appreciate learning more about.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Indy; June 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM.

Re: Two SFPC Questions

Originally posted by Beagle
    "SF Hunter" will chime in and can help you the best. But just so you know...its SFQC....no P.
    Oh, sorry! Thanks for pointing this out! I meant SOPC actually (and by that I mean whatever the 3-week prep course that comes before SFAS is called). Correcting it in my original post now!
    Last edited by Indy; June 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
      "SF Hunter" will chime in and can help you the best. But just so you know...its SFQC....no P.
      SFPC is a proper acronym. PC is for Preparation and Conditioning. It is the same as SOPC. And the information concerning Hold is still valid. SOPC Hold prepares them for SOPC

The bus on which they travel from Benning to Bragg is a chartered (hired) bus.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies so far!

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
        And the information concerning Hold is still valid. SOPC Hold prepares them for SOPC
        Which information about Hold? I haven't found any yet. When my boyfriend was traveling to Benning from the Atlanta airport, he met a soldier on OSUT hold who was allowed to leave the base when he wasn't on-duty. My boyfriend could be at Hold at Bragg for 2-6 weeks, so I was wondering if it will be like that guy, or more restrictive, like SOPC or SFAS itself will be, knowing at the same time that experiences tend to vary from person to person.

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
        The bus on which they travel from Benning to Bragg is a chartered (hired) bus.
        Oh, thanks for this. So I assume that means I would not be able to travel back to NC on the same bus as him, or that if I rented a car to drive to NC, he would not be able to come with me in it?

Thanks again for the continued help!

Comment

SOPC hold is not restrictive. They basically work out all day and have weekends and evenings unless something comes up.

I would expect to travel separately, but it wouldn't hurt for your boyfriend to ask. I'm sure that his request will be denied but the worst they can do is say "no"

Comment

Re: Two SOPC Questions

Sorry that I did not see this thread until now.

Originally posted by Indy View Post
            1. I've been trying to find out by what conveyance soldiers get to Ft. Bragg for SOPC/Pre-SFAS after they graduate from Airborne School at Ft. Benning (both of which are in his orders, followed by SFAS). I have read that they usually depart within hours of graduation, by bus, but haven't confirmed it. Is it a civilian bus? Do they ever fly or are allowed to get there by their own means if they have a car? Does anyone have knowledge of when he will be informed of his travel plans or options (upon arrival at BAC, during the last few days of it, last minute, other)?
            He will most likely convey by contracted civilian/tour style bus. He will not be allowed to go by his own means.

2. What can we expect during the hold before SOPC (the 3-week prep course before SFAS) begins? Any information would be appreciated, whether it's about a typical day and hours, if cell phones are still allowed, if weekends are free, if it's normal to be able to to go off post during off-hours? I think I have read enough about SOPC and SFAS to know that none of the things I just listed are allowed then, but he may be in hold prior to this for a considerable amount of time, which I'd really appreciate learning more about.

Thank you so much!
            If he has any hold-over before Special Forces Preparation and Conditioning (SFPC). Then like Rhadamanthus stated, he will be mostly conducting physical fitness and other needed tasks given by the Cadre. He will be given some freedoms and time off to go on post and possibly off-post. He will be allowed to have his cell-phone. It all depends on the SFPC Cadre and their flexibility.

Comment

Thank you both for the responses, I really appreciate the information, it has been really helpful and has answered my questions. I'm not confused about the situation anymore thanks to you!

One last, quick thing further, sorry! -- Do you know how quickly the bus departs following Airborne School graduation? I am curious whether to book a flight home from Atlanta that day/evening or wait until the morning after, based on whether or not they'll have any downtime, a few hours or overnight, before departing, or whether it happens pretty quickly, and from what I understand AB graduation is usually around 9am. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you both for the responses, I really appreciate the information, it has been really helpful and has answered my questions. I'm not confused about the situation anymore thanks to you!

One last, quick thing further, sorry! -- Do you know how quickly the bus departs following Airborne School graduation? I am curious whether to book a flight home from Atlanta that day/evening or wait until the morning after, based on whether or not they'll have any downtime, a few hours or overnight, before departing, or whether it happens pretty quickly, and from what I understand AB graduation is usually around 9am. Thanks again!
                That is really hard to say. Nothing in the military is ever concrete.

To be on the safe side. I recommend you book it the day after.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                  That is really hard to say. Nothing in the military is ever concrete.

To be on the safe side. I recommend you book it the day after.
                  Oh, wonderful, thank you for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                  X