Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
    Well who knows what next year or next presidential cycle will bring budget wise. Many people in the US respect the military and want it to be strong. I think the whole, cut defense spending deal, was just a political theater and they didn't tackle some of the biggest issues. . . such as tax loopholes. . . BUT that is a WHOLE other thing and isn't meant for this thread. Regardless, like Rhadamanthus said "Even with budget constraints, there are places sending guys to schools." Perhaps my state will allow such schools. They still need to train soldiers, keeping a constant flow of graduates.
    Yeah, it's called MOSQ, NCOES, and OES. ASI schools are great; but without NCOES or OES, you're not getting promoted. Period.

As for the defense budget, it doesn't matter who the next president is in the next cycle. Expect a reduction in defense spending. Both sides of the aisle are saying, "Cut! Cut! Cut!". Be prepared for the next 5 years to be the most depressing years of your military career as we draw down.

Comment

Well who knows what next year or next presidential cycle will bring budget wise. Many people in the US respect the military and want it to be strong. I think the whole, cut defense spending deal, was just a political theater and they didn't tackle some of the biggest issues. . . such as tax loopholes. . . BUT that is a WHOLE other thing and isn't meant for this thread. Regardless, like Rhadamanthus said "Even with budget constraints, there are places sending guys to schools." Perhaps my state will allow such schools. They still need to train soldiers, keeping a constant flow of graduates.
      It doesn't matter anyway. Once you are selected at SFAS, your SF unit will send you to all the schools you need. Yes, it would be preferable to attend Ranger and Airborne as a cherry 2LT like an active duty officer, but for those dedicated to making it through SFAS they will not provide any advantage there.

Also, if your ultimate goal is SF, I strongly advise you to enlist into a state that has an SF unit. This will save you the administrative nightmare of transferring from one state to another (some states make this easier than others).

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you looking into active duty? The plans you've described will have you tied up with schools and possibly deployments for the better part of the next five or six years, assuming it goes off the way you've envisioned. Being in and out of a civilian job during that period is not going to endear you to your employer. It would make more sense, in my mind, to enlist for active duty and pursue these plans. Then you can transition into NG SF.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        It doesn't matter anyway. Once you are selected at SFAS, your SF unit will send you to all the schools you need. Yes, it would be preferable to attend Ranger and Airborne as a cherry 2LT like an active duty officer, but for those dedicated to making it through SFAS they will not provide any advantage there.

Also, if your ultimate goal is SF, I strongly advise you to enlist into a state that has an SF unit. This will save you the administrative nightmare of transferring from one state to another (some states make this easier than others).

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you looking into active duty? The plans you've described will have you tied up with schools and possibly deployments for the better part of the next five or six years, assuming it goes off the way you've envisioned. Being in and out of a civilian job during that period is not going to endear you to your employer. It would make more sense, in my mind, to enlist for active duty and pursue these plans. Then you can transition into NG SF.
        Really, I want to serve this country at home and abroad. If there is a force threatening my fellow countrymen, I want to be there to stop that threat. If there is a natural disaster, I want to be there to help my countrymen though the disaster.

Also my state has a SF units.
        Last edited by Headstrong; June 18th, 2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Really, I want to serve this country at home and abroad. If there is a force threatening my fellow countrymen, I want to be there to stop that threat. If there is a natural disaster, I want to be there to help my countrymen though the disaster.

Also my state has a SF units.
          Trust me, state active duty missions during disasters are well over rated. Its not as awesome as the commercials make it sound. And when there is a natural disaster that wreaks enough havok active duty has at times been called to assist. I agree with Jwarren, enlisting active duty and pursuing SF would make more sense in the goals you have laid out.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
            Trust me, state active duty missions during disasters are well over rated. Its not as awesome as the commercials make it sound. And when there is a natural disaster that wreaks enough havok active duty has at times been called to assist. I agree with Jwarren, enlisting active duty and pursuing SF would make more sense in the goals you have laid out.
            Alright, it is something I will think about. Thank you for your input. Also, is it easier to go AD->Guard or Guard->AD

Comment

Alright, it is something I will think about. Thank you for your input. Also, is it easier to go AD->Guard or Guard->AD
              AD -> Guard. Guard to AD is near impossible these days.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                AD -> Guard. Guard to AD is near impossible these days.
                Alright something more to think about. . . Another question, I do have a medical waiver in the process, the medical waiver is for the ARMY, not just the NG right? So if I get the waiver (which it is certain I will) I can just ask my recruiter to transfer me to the AD instead of Guard? I would feel bad if I did that, guy is working HARD to get me in.

Comment

Alright something more to think about. . . Another question, I do have a medical waiver in the process, the medical waiver is for the ARMY, not just the NG right? So if I get the waiver (which it is certain I will) I can just ask my recruiter to transfer me to the AD instead of Guard? I would feel bad if I did that, guy is working HARD to get me in.
                  Any waiver approved will only be for that component. So, if you are processing a waiver for the Guard, it will not transfer to the active duty Army and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                    Any waiver approved will only be for that component. So, if you are processing a waiver for the Guard, it will not transfer to the active duty Army and vice versa.
                    Hmm, so I would have to go through the process all over again? So I'm guessing if I complete OCS in the NG I would have to do OCS again in AD?

Something I got to think about. . . Alright, well thank you for your advice SF Hunter, again
                    Last edited by Headstrong; June 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong
                      Also, what about when my contract is up with National Guard, is it easier to switch then?

I saw a post that Chief said that it is extremely hard to go NG->AD but if you are SF or Special Forces Candidate there is a better chance.
                      Even NG SF is no guarantee that you can go active duty. There is a long process involved. I will send you a PM.
                      Last edited by SF Hunter; June 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                        Yeah.....no. in years past there was tons of excess money for schools. Today, guys can't even attend ncoes because there is no money. Plans are great, but only realistic ones matter. He should have asked for ninja in his contract.
                        You responded as if I haven't been in the Guard in years past. I've been a company commander "in years past" and I understand key readiness indicators and funding. All of this is still possible without being in SF. Apparently, not in NJ, but NJ isn't the entire guard force.

And he should want these schools, especially Ranger, so he can be a better platoon leader.

Graduated SFQC Class 275

Comment

Hmm, so I would have to go through the process all over again? So I'm guessing if I complete OCS in the NG I would have to do OCS again in AD?
                          Guess again. OCS, in all its forms, is accredited by a "proponent agency" -- that is, federal OCS at Fort Benning.

I think you should really take some time to gain an understanding of how things work before you get wrapped around the axle with really long term plans. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X