Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way to pursue 18A

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Correct way to pursue 18A

    I have read the other posts about SF Officer so I will try not to ask any questions that have already been answered.
    A little background on where I stand with the NG so far; I have not signed or been accepted as an OCS Candidate, I am waiting on my medical waiver to be approved then I will go in front of the OCS board.
    I am 22 years old and I have already been training to get myself geared up for it before basic. I am currently at 64/Pushups 2min, 67/Situps 2min, and a 6:20/Minute Mile (so estimates would be 13:40+ 2 minute?)

    My first question is, what should be my goal before I go to basic. I know 100000 push ups in 2 minutes should be my goal, but what should be my realistic goal? I am not one to just get by, I just want to wrap my head around the physical preparation portion of it. (I know 90 score on each is the requirement, but that's the minimum) - Realized this is a dumb question, no need to answer unless you really feel like it

    Also I am going to plan to go this route, 09S->BCT->OCS(traditional)-> Infantry Officer Training ->Airborne School-> Pathfinder School-> Air Assault School-> Ranger School -> Sniper School (then hopefully I would be a 1LT). Any thoughts on that route? Or am I just way off on what I should do. I know I wont be a sniper as an officer, but I know that it is a good thing for an officer to go through the schools and pass them so they know how they work in and out.

    This last one may be a dumb question, but I have been involved in martial arts for going on six years (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6yr, Aki Jitsu 3yr, Mauy Tai 1yr, Kick boxing 2yr) will any of that training help me? I am guessing yes

    I appreciate any insight to my questions. Again, my apologies if some questions have been answered in other threads.

    Edited: Noticed first question is a very easy one and not needing to be answered
    Last edited by Headstrong; June 10th, 2013, 01:28 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

    Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
    I have read the other posts about SF Officer so I will try not to ask any questions that have already been answered.
    A little background on where I stand with the NG so far; I have not signed or been accepted as an OCS Candidate, I am waiting on my medical waiver to be approved then I will go in front of the OCS board.
    I am 22 years old and I have already been training to get myself geared up for it before basic. I am currently at 64/Pushups 2min, 67/Situps 2min, and a 6:20/Minute Mile (so estimates would be 13:40+ 2 minute?)

    Well, if you can hold a 6:20 min/mile then hopefully you can do your 2 mile in 12:40.

    My first question is, what should be my goal before I go to basic. I know 100000 push ups in 2 minutes should be my goal, but what should be my realistic goal? I am not one to just get by, I just want to wrap my head around the physical preparation portion of it. (I know 90 score on each is the requirement, but that's the minimum) - Realized this is a dumb question, no need to answer unless you really feel like it.

    if you want to be prepared for SF, a 270+ APFT is only the start.

    Also I am going to plan to go this route, 09S->BCT->OCS(traditional)-> Infantry Officer Training ->Airborne School-> Pathfinder School-> Air Assault School-> Ranger School -> Sniper School (then hopefully I would be a 1LT). Any thoughts on that route? Or am I just way off on what I should do. I know I wont be a sniper as an officer, but I know that it is a good thing for an officer to go through the schools and pass them so they know how they work in and out.

    You're way off. Search through previous posts and read more.

    This last one may be a dumb question, but I have been involved in martial arts for going on six years (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6yr, Aki Jitsu 3yr, Mauy Tai 1yr, Kick boxing 2yr) will any of that training help me? I am guessing yes

    Sure.
    I appreciate any insight to my questions. Again, my apologies if some questions have been answered in other threads.

    Edited: Noticed first question is a very easy one and not needing to be answered
    Many of your questions have already been answered. You just have to follow the forums for a bit longer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

      Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
      I have read the other posts about SF Officer so I will try not to ask any questions that have already been answered.
      A little background on where I stand with the NG so far; I have not signed or been accepted as an OCS Candidate, I am waiting on my medical waiver to be approved then I will go in front of the OCS board.
      I am 22 years old and I have already been training to get myself geared up for it before basic. I am currently at 64/Pushups 2min, 67/Situps 2min, and a 6:20/Minute Mile (so estimates would be 13:40+ 2 minute?)

      My first question is, what should be my goal before I go to basic. I know 100000 push ups in 2 minutes should be my goal, but what should be my realistic goal? I am not one to just get by, I just want to wrap my head around the physical preparation portion of it. (I know 90 score on each is the requirement, but that's the minimum) - Realized this is a dumb question, no need to answer unless you really feel like it

      Also I am going to plan to go this route, 09S->BCT->OCS(traditional)-> Infantry Officer Training ->Airborne School-> Pathfinder School-> Air Assault School-> Ranger School -> Sniper School (then hopefully I would be a 1LT). Any thoughts on that route? Or am I just way off on what I should do. I know I wont be a sniper as an officer, but I know that it is a good thing for an officer to go through the schools and pass them so they know how they work in and out.

      This last one may be a dumb question, but I have been involved in martial arts for going on six years (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6yr, Aki Jitsu 3yr, Mauy Tai 1yr, Kick boxing 2yr) will any of that training help me? I am guessing yes

      I appreciate any insight to my questions. Again, my apologies if some questions have been answered in other threads.

      Edited: Noticed first question is a very easy one and not needing to be answered
      Dude, you haven't even been to BCT yet. You don't need to worry about anything right now other than becoming a soldier, making it through OCS, and being the best platoon leader you can possibly be. Once you have some experience as a 1LT you can start looking into SF. Neither tabs, nor badges, nor MMA certs, nor the Medal of Honor will help you at SFAS. The training you do on your own is going to get you to where you need to be, not a two week (or two, three, or four month) Army school.

      FYI, I am the prototypical NG Infantry officer (no badges or tabs, just a couple of combat patches) and I was selected at SFAS. I watched tons of guys with all sorts of badges and tabs who came from high speed units get dropped from Selection for a wide variety of reasons. There is, as far as I can tell, just about zero correlation between that stuff and selection rate (after the first week anyway, because most guys who can make it through Ranger school should at least be able to meet all the timed physical gates).

      Don't let your platoon/company think you're just using them as a launch pad to get to SF. Good luck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

        Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Many of your questions have already been answered. You just have to follow the forums for a bit longer.
        Alright, I will look deeper.

        Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        Dude, you haven't even been to BCT yet. You don't need to worry about anything right now other than becoming a soldier, making it through OCS, and being the best platoon leader you can possibly be. Once you have some experience as a 1LT you can start looking into SF. Neither tabs, nor badges, nor MMA certs, nor the Medal of Honor will help you at SFAS. The training you do on your own is going to get you to where you need to be, not a two week (or two, three, or four month) Army school.

        FYI, I am the prototypical NG Infantry officer (no badges or tabs, just a couple of combat patches) and I was selected at SFAS. I watched tons of guys with all sorts of badges and tabs who came from high speed units get dropped from Selection for a wide variety of reasons. There is, as far as I can tell, just about zero correlation between that stuff and selection rate (after the first week anyway, because most guys who can make it through Ranger school should at least be able to meet all the timed physical gates).

        Don't let your platoon/company think you're just using them as a launch pad to get to SF. Good luck.
        One step at a time, got it. Thank you for your advice
        Last edited by SF Hunter; June 20th, 2013, 11:28 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

          PC Nazi's are out in full effect. OP a lot of good advice along with comedy relief: Always remember you have crawl, walk, and then run. Take baby steps nice to dream big but lets get thru BCT/OCS/OBLC first; Become, a great platoon leader and then concentrate on becoming the next MSGT. Roy P. Benavidez.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

            Good luck finding a state that will fund all of those schools. In my IBOLC class only two guardsman actually went to Ranger. Everyone else either never got orders or had orders cut due to funding. Of the whole class, including active duty, only ONE got pathfinder and he got that for being the Ranger school Officer honor grad. The rest of us are no-badge, no-tab.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

              Originally posted by Mike2K
              6:20 x 2 = 12:40
              Presuming that he can maintain that pace for the second mile. Not all runners can do that, some get slower as the course gets longer. While he may have made a math error, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't want to presume a rosy scenario, and added some realism to his case.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

                Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                Presuming that he can maintain that pace for the second mile. Not all runners can do that, some get slower as the course gets longer. While he may have made a math error, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't want to presume a rosy scenario, and added some realism to his case.
                You are correct sir, I added a minute knowing running at 9mph is not that easy for two miles.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                  I know I need to crawl before I can run. I am just a person who likes to have the whole plan drawn out from start to finish.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Correct way to pursue 18O

                    Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                    You are correct sir, I added a minute knowing running at 9mph is not that easy for two miles.
                    Ok, then 6:20/mile is irrelevant information. You run 6:50/mile average pace for 2 miles. Lets not make this harder than it has to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                      Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                      I know I need to crawl before I can run. I am just a person who likes to have the whole plan drawn out from start to finish.
                      Its good to have a plan and goals. But, just realize that plans will change allot in the military and most plans do not go the way you want or think they should. Be flexible and patient.

                      The likely-hood of you getting the opportunity to attend the military schools in your plan will be slim, prior to Special Forces.

                      As for Sniper school, that will never happen as an officer. There is a Sniper Employment Officer course for Officers in charge of Scout/Sniper Platoons. In simple terms, it teaches the proper employment of sniper teams, their capabilities and limitations. It does not teach an officer how to be a sniper. Not even a Special Forces Detachment Commander (18A) will ever attend Special Forces Sniper Course (SFSC).

                      If you want the possibility of learning very specific skill sets. IMHO, I do not recommend the officer path.

                      Focus on the 25 meter target for now.
                      Last edited by SF Hunter; October 2nd, 2013, 02:55 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                        Adapt to every situation that may arise, got it.

                        And I did not know about that sniper officer school. My intention was not to learn very specific skill sets, I was trying to figure out a way to have the most knowledge about all of the soldier's skill sets that an officer may be in charge of. Just wanting to become the best I can possibly be, no matter how hard the challenge is.

                        Thanks for your advice SF Hunter

                        Edit: Typos
                        Last edited by SF Hunter; October 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                          It's good to have a long range plan like SF Hunter said, so don't lose sight of your pathway, except for sniper, and maybe Pathfinder. But definitely focus on doing your best in the upcoming schools because that could set you up for success in achieving your goals. I keep a long range plan, and although it changes often, I just update it. And keep researching to find out how realistic your plan is. I would find out your state's funding situation and your unit's willingness to send an infantry officer to these schools. Through my former state, I got Mech leaders, Ranger, Air Assault, and Army Basic Instructor. However, because that state didn't have airborne units they wouldn't send me to airborne school. Even with budget constraints, there are places sending guys to schools.

                          As for PT, even as an Infantry officer you should strive for 300. You want to build a reputation for yourself so that when you ask for schools, they will say "if anyone is going to make it through that course, it will be him."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                            Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
                            It's good to have a long range plan like SF Hunter said, so don't lose sight of your pathway, except for sniper, and maybe Pathfinder. But definitely focus on doing your best in the upcoming schools because that could set you up for success in achieving your goals. I keep a long range plan, and although it changes often, I just update it. And keep researching to find out how realistic your plan is. I would find out your state's funding situation and your unit's willingness to send an infantry officer to these schools. Through my former state, I got Mech leaders, Ranger, Air Assault, and Army Basic Instructor. However, because that state didn't have airborne units they wouldn't send me to airborne school. Even with budget constraints, there are places sending guys to schools.

                            As for PT, even as an Infantry officer you should strive for 300. You want to build a reputation for yourself so that when you ask for schools, they will say "if anyone is going to make it through that course, it will be him."
                            Yeah.....no. in years past there was tons of excess money for schools. Today, guys can't even attend ncoes because there is no money. Plans are great, but only realistic ones matter. He should have asked for ninja in his contract.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Correct way to pursue 18A

                              Well who knows what next year or next presidential cycle will bring budget wise. Many people in the US respect the military and want it to be strong. I think the whole, cut defense spending deal, was just a political theater and they didn't tackle some of the biggest issues. . . such as tax loopholes. . . BUT that is a WHOLE other thing and isn't meant for this thread. Regardless, like Rhadamanthus said "Even with budget constraints, there are places sending guys to schools." Perhaps my state will allow such schools. They still need to train soldiers, keeping a constant flow of graduates.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X