X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I be barred from SFAS?

I'm a former 18x that, a few days after a heat injury, voluntarily withdrew from SOPC. Huge mistake. Haunted me for the past 8 years.

I'm now seeking to join the National Guard as an officer, and hope to attend OCS and be branched infantry.

I understand that one of the conditions for an 0-2/0-3 (or any soldier for that matter) to seek to volunteer for SFAS is that they MUST NOT have "voluntarily terminated Airborne school or SF training." Given my VW from SOPC, is it possible to receive a waiver from that requirement and be given another chance? Or am I SOL?

Greatly appreciate any guidance on this.

Re: Would I be barred from SFAS?

Originally posted by former18x View Post
    I'm a former 18x that, a few days after a heat injury, voluntarily withdrew from SOPC. Huge mistake. Haunted me for the past 8 years.

I'm now seeking to join the National Guard as an officer, and hope to attend OCS and be branched infantry.

I understand that one of the conditions for an 0-2/0-3 (or any soldier for that matter) to seek to volunteer for SFAS is that they MUST NOT have "voluntarily terminated Airborne school or SF training." Given my VW from SOPC, is it possible to receive a waiver from that requirement and be given another chance? Or am I SOL?

Greatly appreciate any guidance on this.
    I can tell you for a fact that as of the last SFAS class, VWs could actually return to SFAS after a six month waiting period. The exception to this was for officers: any officer who VW'd was not permitted to return. Previously, I had been under the impression that all VWs received an NTR.

I don't know if the SOPC program even counts as "SF training" in the context you're referring to. SF Hunter can probably give you better guidance. Good luck. Which state are you planning on enlisting into?

Comment

Re: Would I be barred from SFAS?

Its all going to come down to the specific NG SF unit and whether they will give you a shot. Some are pickier than others when it comes to VWs, no matter what point in the pipeline it occurred.

Even so, you have a ways to go if you are wanting to pursue a career as an officer. I suggest you continue on with your plan for OCS and Infantry Branch. Once you have been successful in your branch assignments, start looking into your options for SF.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
      X