Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello everybody,

I have been reading for several months despite just recently registering here. I believe I have filled out my profile correctly and I just want to introduce myself. This forum has been a wealth of information for me and I would like to thank all those who have served, and are serving, for their service.

I am 20 years old and live in Ohio. I have been seriously contemplating joining the military for close to a year now and have been evaluating the different opportunities provided by the different branches. I have spoken with recruiters from the Marine Corps, Army and National Guard. The Marine Corps did not want to work with me due to some medical issues I had when I was younger, saying that a waiver would be too difficult to obtain. The Army could offer me an 11x contract but could not offer 18x, Option 40 or even Option 4, due to my medical history.

Special operations is really what I would like to do in the military so I continued my research of the different branches and found that my state has a National Guard Special Forces Company. I spoke with a recruiter for 2/19 and found that I would be able to obtain a medical waiver and still enlist with a Rep 63 Contract. As of right now, this is my top option as it seems to be a great fit for what I want to do.

I was a high school football player (WR/DB) and also wrestled for a couple years in high school. I am not in SF shape now, as I am a weak distance runner, but I am working out 6 days a week so that I will be when I enlist.

I know most forums don't like new members to start a thread shortly after registering and I apologize if I am outside my bounds by doing so.

If there are any Quiet Professionals that wouldn't mind sending me a PM, I would love to have the chance to talk with somebody who has been where I am hoping to go.

Thank you again to all current and former military members for your service. God bless.

Re: Introduction

It sounds like you have already been talking with the right people. I hope the recruiter in Ohio is correct about the waiver. I don't know what your past medical history is? But if you were not able to get an 18X contract, then usually you would not be eligible for a REP 63 either. Its the same medical standards for SF, whether NG or Active duty. Ultimately, all physicals for Special Forces candidates have to be reviewed and approved by the SF Surgeon at USAJFKSWCS, Ft. Bragg, NC.

I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

SF HUNTER,

Thank you for the helpful response. I hope the recruiter is correct as well. He says he has put several candidates through with the medical waiver I would need, which would be an asthma waiver, assuming I can pass a pulmonary function test. The Army recruiter I spoke with said he could not get me an 18x contract due to this. It did seem odd to me that I would be eligible for a Rep 63 but not 18x, however, I am hopeful that I will be able to obtain a Rep 63 contract.

Comment

Got ASTHMA? No Waiver Authorized. Use to have ASTHMA as a kid but have not used an enhaler in years....Possible, good luck!

Comment

AIRBORNE,

Thank you for the reply. I no longer have asthma and have not been bothered by it for 6 years, however, that put my last issues at age 14, which misses the Army definitions of childhood Asthma by one year. The NG recruiter I met with seemed very confident he could get me a REP 63 contract with a waiver. I hope he is right because SF is really what I want to do in the military.

Comment

To avoid starting another thread, I am going to ask this here:

Does anybody know where I can find the documentary "Hunting the Taliban, National Guard Special Forces in Afghanistan"? I found part of it on YouTube, however, it was not the full documentary. All the other videos I have found are no longer active. I also cannot find anywhere to buy it. I would love to watch it, as it seems to be the only documentary on NG SF.

Thanks and God Bless.

Comment

Working...
            X