Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
    In one sense you are correct. The Army National Guard Special Forces recruit/candidate contract (non prior service only) is usually referred to as REP 63. But, 18X and REP 63 are interchangeable verbiage. REP 63 is very similar to 18X, except the Guard cannot use the enlistment MOS/job code of 18X, because it is not a real MOS within the Guard. Active duty uses it as a type of place holder until either the candidate completes the SF Pipeline and is fully SF MOS qualified or does not complete the program and is reassigned for needs of the Army as an infantryman.

REP 63 is 9 times out of 10 used exactly the same as 18X. As in Infantry OSUT, Airborne, etc. The applicant actually enlists for 11B MOS, with Airborne School written in the contract followed by SOPC/SFPC-TBD and SFAS-TBD. The Guard can also vary the MOS and AIT attended. For example, enlist and send a recruit to MOS 25 series AIT, then Airborne, SOPC/SFPC and so-on.

Just to let everyone know: REP 63 availability is very limited and not all states with NG SF even authorize non prior service. Its on a case-by-case basis.
    Okay, thanks for the correction. I had been under the impression that REP 63 soldiers do not attend SOPC because they were being assigned to SF units anyway where they (presumably) undergo pre-SFAS training and assessment.

Now, if you can tell me what this means:

From the moment one passes MEPS while enlisting as 18X, where is the first place the enlistee goes when he begins basic training, or in other words, is there a basic training prior to SFAS, or a certain period of time after basic training?
    ...I'll buy you a beer. Two, if I get Selected.

Comment

Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP) just like every other Army National Guard recruit.

Some states/NG SF actually take hold of the REP 63 recruit after the first RSP drill. Put them through the paces before shipping to BCT.
      But once they ship and are on initial entry-training (IET) orders. They stay on orders until either complete or failure.

So to answer the OPs question. After MEPS: RSP, Ship to BCT/AIT, Airborne, SOPC/SFPC, SFAS and hopefully SFQC. Then return home.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; August 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        Now, if you can tell me what this means:

...I'll buy you a beer. Two, if I get Selected.
        "Is there a basic training after basic training?" Inception! WOMMMP WOMMMP WOMMMP

Comment

Your question is probably one that should be asked by every individual that is considering SF. Ultimately, it comes down to how well you can act and react on the move and often alone. Back in the day, once tabbed, you would be considered as a advisor to a battalion-level commander. Can a civilian do that? IMHO, I would say no. You will be trained by the best to be one of the best BUT, they cannont teach you everything you will need to know. Much does come from prior experience. The units that have the more critical duties also help - 82nd Abn and Rangers. You would receive more advanced training that would assist with a successful transition to SF life. IMHO, an E-5 with a minimum of 1 year time in grade is where you would begin learning what you would need to know.

$0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by bob.stanley View Post
            Your question is probably one that should be asked by every individual that is considering SF. Ultimately, it comes down to how well you can act and react on the move and often alone. Back in the day, once tabbed, you would be considered as a advisor to a battalion-level commander. Can a civilian do that? IMHO, I would say no. You will be trained by the best to be one of the best BUT, they cannont teach you everything you will need to know. Much does come from prior experience. The units that have the more critical duties also help - 82nd Abn and Rangers. You would receive more advanced training that would assist with a successful transition to SF life. IMHO, an E-5 with a minimum of 1 year time in grade is where you would begin learning what you would need to know.

$0.02.
            It is my opinion that the "experience" one gains as a junior enlisted soldier or junior NCO on drill weekends is not particularly relevant to the SF assessment process (note: I'm referring to the assessment drills and not SFAS, as I have not been to SFAS yet). I have seen very experienced NCOs and officers get sent away because they didn't have good attitudes toward learning. On the other hand, I've seen very young and inexperienced soldiers do well. I'm not convinced that there's a strong correlation between level of experience and "selectability." The exceptions are skills which are tested directly, such as land navigation. The greater the candidate's familiarity with those subjects, the better.

Basically, the two things that get people sent away for are poor training and poor attitude. The training part (to include physical training) is something that drill weekends with most conventional units are not going to provide, so you need to be working on this on your own regardless. As for the attitude part, well, you've either got it or you don't.

Comment

Working...
            X