Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

    I have not yet enlisted because I'm getting some personal things straightened out before I join; I have always dreamed of going SF when I join the Army, but I'm in a bit of a quandary right now, and here it is... I have been told that I can enlist as 18X but I feel that I am not physically prepared to do that training successfully, so my next thought is going in as 11B and try for SF further on down the line. So here's my question; how long does one need to be enlisted before being able to tryout for SF?

  • #2
    Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

    First read

    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements

    Then get yourself into shape.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

      Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
      First read

      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements

      Then get yourself into shape.
      Thank you, that was a very helpful read. I'm 28 now and the conclusion I draw from what I read is this; I feel that I should just work on getting into the mental and physical preparedness so that I may enlist as 18X to begin with. Does that sound like a proper goal to set? I mainly need to strengthen my swimming and drop some extra pounds. Now the next reason why I'm not enlisting just yet is because I'm in the middle of a divorce as of now (no kids or properties), so my recruiter has recommended that I take care of that before moving onto any other missions in life; which brings me to my next question, does a divorce affect one while enlisting into the TXARNG?
      Last edited by SF Hunter; August 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

        I can take this one....

        Nope, not at all. You'll have to answer the questions on the SF-86 and other forms pertaining to your ex-spouse (name, DOB, location, contact numbers, etc) and you'll have to provide MEPS with a copy of your divorce decree. But that's its.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

          Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
          I can take this one....

          Nope, not at all. You'll have to answer the questions on the SF-86 and other forms pertaining to your ex-spouse (name, DOB, location, contact numbers, etc) and you'll have to provide MEPS with a copy of your divorce decree. But that's its.
          Thanks for the straight forward answers; he did specify that I need to bring my divorce decree to MEPS. I have also looked into other physical characteristics I have that may cause problems at MEPS to make sure that I get it right on the first try. The first one will be taken care of soon, which is that I need a root canal and an extraction (dental) and the next one is that I have a fungus under one of my toenails (one toenail, just my luck), well I went to see my doc about it and she said that I should treat it with "off the counter meds" (which could take much longer to treat) because the RX meds that really cure fungus are harmful to the liver (she's been my doc for many years, so she looks beyond the "doc to patient" relationship, and actually takes the side-effects seriously), so my question is, can a toenail fungus be something MEPS would fail me for? If so, which treatments have other folks used to rid themselves of a fungus without taking serious meds?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

            I would hop online and look for effective, quick remedies.

            Let me Google that for you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

              Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
              I would hop online and look for effective, quick remedies.

              Let me Google that for you!
              Thanks, I've gotten on google and some advise to piss on your feet when you shower have you ever heard of that? I mean it's worth a try right, but kinda weird...

              Any info would help.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                Yea, I have heard of that. Urine is sterile and contains Uric acid (hence the name) which does neutralize infections and the like. Feel free to try it but I would also invest in some OTC stuff too...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                  Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                  Yea, I have heard of that. Urine is sterile and contains Uric acid (hence the name) which does neutralize infections and the like. Feel free to try it but I would also invest in some OTC stuff too...
                  Sounds like a plan, I'll keep a look out on that.

                  Now here's another question that I've researched already and haven't found a specific answer to. From the moment one passes MEPS while enlisting as 18X, where is the first place the enlistee goes when he begins basic training, or in other words, is there a basic training prior to SFAS, or a certain period of time after basic training?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                    I'll be deferring this one to one of the more knowledgeable members...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                      Originally posted by Pereira84 View Post
                      Sounds like a plan, I'll keep a look out on that.

                      Now here's another question that I've researched already and haven't found a specific answer to. From the moment one passes MEPS while enlisting as 18X, where is the first place the enlistee goes when he begins basic training, or in other words, is there a basic training prior to SFAS, or a certain period of time after basic training?
                      You know that 18X is only for active duty, right?

                      I don't really understand your question. If it's about the training pipeline for 18X recruits, this information is extremely Google-able.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                        Originally posted by Pereira84 View Post
                        Sounds like a plan, I'll keep a look out on that.

                        Now here's another question that I've researched already and haven't found a specific answer to. From the moment one passes MEPS while enlisting as 18X, where is the first place the enlistee goes when he begins basic training, or in other words, is there a basic training prior to SFAS, or a certain period of time after basic training?
                        Well your researching skills need some sharpening.

                        Read

                        http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ining-Timeline

                        Thats from this very site! Its a sticky in the very sub forum you created this thread in. So research, read, get in shape.
                        Last edited by SF Hunter; August 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                          Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                          Well your researching skills need some sharpening.

                          Read

                          http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ining-Timeline

                          Thats from this very site! Its a sticky in the very sub forum you created this thread in. So research, read, get in shape.
                          This is good info but it does not pertain to 18X. 18X is an exclusively active duty enlistment option. Not that I fault you since the OP seems to be generally dazed and confused and his questions are unclear.
                          Last edited by SF Hunter; August 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                            Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            This is good info but it does not pertain to 18X. 18X is an exclusively active duty enlistment option. Not that I fault you since the OP seems to be generally dazed and confused and his questions are unclear.
                            The symptoms of drinking too much Zero Dark Thirty kool-aid.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How long should I be enlisted before trying for SF?

                              Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                              You know that 18X is only for active duty, right?
                              Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                              This is good info but it does not pertain to 18X. 18X is an exclusively active duty enlistment option.
                              In one sense you are correct. The Army National Guard Special Forces recruit/candidate contract (non prior service only) is usually referred to as REP 63. But, 18X and REP 63 are interchangeable verbiage. REP 63 is very similar to 18X, except the Guard cannot use the enlistment MOS/job code of 18X, because it is not a real MOS within the Guard. Active duty uses it as a type of place holder until either the candidate completes the SF Pipeline and is fully SF MOS qualified or does not complete the program and is reassigned for needs of the Army as an infantryman.

                              REP 63 is 9 times out of 10 used exactly the same as 18X. As in Infantry OSUT, Airborne, etc. The applicant actually enlists for 11B MOS, with Airborne School written in the contract followed by SOPC/SFPC-TBD and SFAS-TBD. The Guard can also vary the MOS and AIT attended. For example, enlist and send a recruit to MOS 25 series AIT, then Airborne, SOPC/SFPC and so-on.

                              Just to let everyone know: REP 63 availability is very limited and not all states with NG SF even authorize non prior service. Its on a case-by-case basis.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X