X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification

First I would like to admit that I realize my questions have most likely been answered in some form or another on this forum so I apologize in advance if there is noticable redundancy.

So just a little background information regarding my situation:

A few months ago I began ( or started to again) contemplate enlistment in the Army with both routes (NG or AD) in consideration. I am 25 yrs of age with a full time job that has been ongoing for roughly three years now. I have a bachelor's degree and I am currently dragging my way through a master's. Back when I was an "invincible" teenager I was certain that my lifelong pursuit would be a career in one of the SF groups, but chose a different path entirely upon completion of high school. Due to contact and exposure to SF through work has again sparked my interest in possibly pursuing this route.

My initial contact was with a guardsmen out of 20th group who basically informed me of the way the NG SF works. Since that time and much deliberation, I have made another contact with a retiree from an AD group who voiced that it was in my best interest to pursue the AD route instead ( I am sure most of you can figure out the bulk of that conversation). I am up to speed on the process of 18x but confused about Rep 63? I was by way of 20th group, that I would first have to find a home unit in NG and then attend a SF evaluation before having an opportunity to serve with a NG SF group. Is this correct or am I missing some details along the way?

My apologies for the long post..trying to be detailed. Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Clarification

The Non-prior service Special Forces enlistment contract in the Army National Guard is usually referred to as a REP 63 contract, similar to the 18 Xray (18X) contract with Active Duty Army. REP 63/18X contract availability varies by state, and only applies to states with Special Forces units and is currently very selective and on a case-by-case basis.

Not every state/NG SF unit is considering non prior service. If you are referring to 20th Group, as in Alabama. Then I can let you know that they have pretty much stopped considering any REP 63/18X contracts. They want you to enlist first, get MOS qualified in something, then later on apply/try-out for SF (SFRE). They would prefer you choose a support MOS that is open with the Group Support Battalion. Then at least you are assigned to the unit and you would attend Airborne School as part of your contract. Sort of one foot in the door situation.

Comment

I see. Certainly clears things up. I am in North Carolina so that would explain some of the input/response that I have received. I was essentially told what SF Hunter has stated above.

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk127 View Post
        I see. Certainly clears things up. I am in North Carolina so that would explain some of the input/response that I have received. I was essentially told what SF Hunter has stated above.
        NC NG SF has not accepted non-prior service for a while now.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
        X