X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC IRR to NG

I have several more months in the IRR. I'm meeting for what the recruiter called a face-to-face interview and an APFT next Friday. Correct me if I'm wrong from here. After that the SFAD, then I need a release from the Marine Corps to let me train in the Guard before I can go to Selection. At this point I'll belong to the Guard. If I don't get selected or if I do and am dismissed from the Q course, what would most likely happen to me if that States Guard doesn't have an equivalent to my Aviation MOS from the Marine Corps? Any help is much appreciated.

Re: USMC IRR to NG

I apologize. I knew that much, but I'm curious about training for Infantry. Since dropping down to 11B is inevitable for most, would I go to infantry school before Selection? I plan to ask a lot of questions in my interview, but I'd rather go there understanding most of the process before hand. It'll give me time for more questions. Sorry if I broke any forum type rules. I read every post and response, but I haven't seen anyone with a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by scrappyghost View Post
      I apologize. I knew that much, but I'm curious about training for Infantry. Since dropping down to 11B is inevitable for most, would I go to infantry school before Selection? I plan to ask a lot of questions in my interview, but I'd rather go there understanding most of the process before hand. It'll give me time for more questions. Sorry if I broke any forum type rules. I read every post and response, but I haven't seen anyone with a similar situation.
      Please refer to the SF Training timeline thread:

Unfortunately, the Army National Guard currently does not offer Special Forces enlistment contracts for prior service.

In order to apply for Special Forces as prior service USMC (IRR), the first step is to meet the requirements for SF:
      1. Must be male, minimum age of 20. No maximum age, based on military qualifications and individual evaluation.
      2. Must be a U.S. citizen (non-waiverable).
      3. Must be in the pay grade of E-4 to E-6. E-7 with no more than 12 years TIS and 9 months TIG when applying and must be either Airborne or Ranger qualified.
      4. Must be at least one year since completing an MOS producing course/school.
      5. Must have a General Technical (GT) score of 107 (non-waiverable), preferably 110 or higher. If you do not have the required score, then you will need to retake the AFCT (ASVAB) to attempt to raise your line scores.
      6. Must score a minimum of 270 on the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), with no less than 90 points in each event, using the standards for 17-21 age group.
      7. Must be able to meet medical fitness standards for Special Forces and Military Free Fall as outlined in Chap. 5-3, 5-4 and 5-6, AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness.
      8. Must be Airborne qualified or volunteer for Airborne training.
      9. Must possess or be eligible for a secret security clearance.
      10. Must not be barred to reenlistment or be under suspension of favorable personnel action.
      11. Must not have been convicted by court-martial or have disciplinary action (Article 15/NJP) noted in your official military personnel file (OMPF) under the provisions of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
      12. Must not have any drug or alcohol related law violations.
      13. Must be able to swim 50 meters unassisted, wearing boots and the Army combat uniform (ACU), prior to beginning the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC).
      14. Must not have been terminated from Airborne, Ranger, or Special Forces duty, unless termination was due to extreme family problems.
      15. No Soldier, regardless of Military Occupational Specialty will be recruited if he is unable to reclassify from his current MOS into Career Management Field 18 series (CMF 18).

The second step is to coordinate and schedule to attend an SF Readiness Evaluation/Assessment drill (SFRE/SFAD), basically a try-out, with a NG SF unit. If you pass the SFRE/SFAD you will be placed on a Order of Merit List (OML), based on your performance, for attendance to SFAS once you enlist into the Army National Guard, either under your former MOS or reclass to one available within the state.

You will not attend OSUT as prior service USMC. You will not attend Airborne School before SFAS. It will be scheduled, if you are successfully selected at SFAS.

If you fail any of the training (ie SFAS or SFQC) you will simply come back home and be reassigned to a unit within the state that needs the MOS that you reenlisted under, whether that be 11B or some type of aviation MOS (15 series).

The absolute minimum contract that you can enlist is either your remaining time on IRR or 12 months, which ever is greater.

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
      Yes probably....OSUT....Airborne, then off to qualify.
      This is WRONG
      Last edited by SF Hunter; March 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Since 2007...SF Hunter....since 2007.

Comment

You are nothing if not entertaining.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the information. Your very helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X