Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting an AGR job to go SF in the NG

All,

I am currently in a very good position to get an AGR job. I have been craving for a way to fulfill my service to country by wearing the uniform full-time. I have never been deployed despite my best attempts. My OER's have been excellent. However, my real passion is to pursue a career in special forces. I can and will pass selection if given the opportunity, or I'll break every bone in my body while trying. Can anyone offer me their professional insight as to the decision of a first lieutenant quitting an AGR job about two years after starting in order to pursue an SF career.

I know I might burn some bridges, but can they really stop me? We're all part of the same army and the green berets are the finest. What would an SF recruiter think?

Honest opinions are appreciated.

Re: Quitting an AGR job to go SF in the NG

Originally posted by Rocksteady View Post
    All,

I am currently in a very good position to get an AGR job. I have been craving for a way to fulfill my service to country by wearing the uniform full-time. I have never been deployed despite my best attempts. My OER's have been excellent. However, my real passion is to pursue a career in special forces. I can and will pass selection if given the opportunity, or I'll break every bone in my body while trying. Can anyone offer me their professional insight as to the decision of a first lieutenant quitting an AGR job about two years after starting in order to pursue an SF career.

I know I might burn some bridges, but can they really stop me? We're all part of the same army and the green berets are the finest. What would an SF recruiter think?

This is one of those things that become a problem when an actual choice exists. First, you have to get hired as and agr officer. That alone, even with an "in" is no easy task. Then, you have to meet the prereqs for officer SF which is most sringent. I'm sure sfhunter will chime in, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a captain. Even then, you could still take and maybe pass their preliminary tests. Your question this early is kind of me asking what would my company think of I made ceo and left for a chance at the presidency.

Comment

All,

Well, have you even contacted an SF unit to determine whether you can try out as a 2LT or a junior 1LT? My question boils down to this, "Why not just skip the AGR opportunity and participate in an SFRE?" Also ask yourself this, "Can I afford to forego an AGR job?" At the end of the day, you have to do what provides for you (and your family if you have one) best.

Out of curiosity, what is your branch?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Well, have you even contacted an SF unit to determine whether you can try out as a 2LT or a junior 1LT? My question boils down to this, "Why not just skip the AGR opportunity and participate in an SFRE?" Also ask yourself this, "Can I afford to forego an AGR job?" At the end of the day, you have to do what provides for you (and your family if you have one) best.

Out of curiosity, what is your branch?
        Thanks for the reply!

FA is my branch. I am currently at 15 months date of rank for 1LT so I should be hitting the window pretty soon. I'm actually in the middle of an IST (from the same state I might be in line for the job) to Ohio. 19th group has a unit in Columbus that the coordinating OSM should be getting me some information on but I don't want to leave anything to chance. I've called around and left a few messages to no avail either.

Financially, this AGR job for a year or two would be a smart move for me and it would give me the ability to truly train for SFAS. I don't have kids or a wife yet, so the roots aren't planted either.

Comment

You can quit an AGR job at any time. As far as burning bridges that just depends on the situation. Chances are when you quit the job there will be 20 officers fighting to get your spot, so its not like they will have a hard time finding a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
            You can quit an AGR job at any time. As far as burning bridges that just depends on the situation. Chances are when you quit the job there will be 20 officers fighting to get your spot, so its not like they will have a hard time finding a replacement.
            True enough. I guess I'm a little more worried about the Captain's Career Course and when they would likely want me to take. It would be the national guard online courses (non-resident) which is basically eternal danmnation from ever going active duty or SF.

Comment

True enough. I guess I'm a little more worried about the Captain's Career Course and when they would likely want me to take. It would be the national guard online courses (non-resident) which is basically eternal danmnation from ever going active duty or SF.
              Except not, because if you get selected at SFAS you'll be PCS'd to Fort Bragg where you'll attend, among other things, the SOCCC (Special Operations Captains Career Course).

Edit: You can probably attend the SF readiness assessment as a junior 1LT. I'm a (senior) 1LT and I'm going to SFAS soon. Some units actually look for more junior 1LTs because if they get SF qualified they will be eligible for ODA command for a longer period of time.
              Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; February 21st, 2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                Except not, because if you get selected at SFAS you'll be PCS'd to Fort Bragg where you'll attend, among other things, the SOCCC (Special Operations Captains Career Course).

Edit: You can probably attend the SF readiness assessment as a junior 1LT. I'm a (senior) 1LT and I'm going to SFAS soon. Some units actually look for more junior 1LTs because if they get SF qualified they will be eligible for ODA command for a longer period of time.

Wait a minute now. I was under the impression that once you go to any Captains Career Course you were locked in for that branch. If you are saying I can go to FA CCC (NG version) but still be able to go SF then that's a game changer. Is that really true?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                  Your question this early is kind of me asking what would my company think of I made ceo and left for a chance at the presidency.
                  You know what? That puts it into perspective. The AGR job is the one that's a possibility because of the old boys system. The SF path will happen.

Comment

Wait a minute now. I was under the impression that once you go to any Captains Career Course you were locked in for that branch. If you are saying I can go to FA CCC (NG version) but still be able to go SF then that's a game changer. Is that really true?
                    I'm not aware of such a policy. Anyway, in the NG, it's almost entirely up to the individual SF unit if they want to send you to SFAS. I don't see how having attended a CCC would make you a less attractive candidate. Why don't you call the unit you're interested in and get some real info? All I can give you is educated guesses and speculation.

Comment

Wait so let me get all these facts straight:

- You do not as of yet have an AGR job. (So you're not quitting anything yet). Am I correct to assume that this is a Title 32 AGR position, meaning it's state specific?
                      - You're in the middle of IST'ing from a state where you may have an AGR position to one where you won't.
                      - You believe that an AGR position is a better decision for you financially.
                      - Nothing in SF is guaranteed. So you're willing to risk all that, IST, and try out for SF with a very high probability of not making it.

Looks like you have some tough choices ahead.

Comment

I'm going to suggest you hit the brakes on this. You didnt specify why you are IST'ing.

If it is similar to what Polo has posted, I suggest you dont take any of the above actions.

Stop. If you get an AGR job, do what others have done and contact the SF unit. They have their own recruiters. The OSM is not one of them. Go to one of their briefings and find out when their drills are during the weekend and how the work.

Work your AGR job and when SFRE weekends or weeks are coming, SUTA or just drive there and do them.

For all you know you'll get there and hate it. You're gambling a lot of "If's" on "if's". Wait and see what you have before you worry about losing it.
                        Last edited by show_stopper999; February 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM. Reason: WEEEE I LIKE TRAINS.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                          Wait so let me get all these facts straight:

- You do not as of yet have an AGR job. (So you're not quitting anything yet). Am I correct to assume that this is a Title 32 AGR position, meaning it's state specific?
                          - You're in the middle of IST'ing from a state where you may have an AGR position to one where you won't.
                          - You believe that an AGR position is a better decision for you financially.
                          - Nothing in SF is guaranteed. So you're willing to risk all that, IST, and try out for SF with a very high probability of not making it.

Looks like you have some tough choices ahead.
                          - It is a Title 32 AGR Position. Nothing is guaranteed.
                          - I am currently IST'ing to another state because I found a dependable civilian job. It won't affect my eligibility for the AGR job this I'm certain.
                          - The AGR job is a better one than what I'm at now.
                          - I'm half way out the AGR state's door so IST'ing will need to happen soon regardless. But yes, I am willing to risk all of it for a shot at selection. I can live with the decisions I make, it's the ones that I don't make that I'll regret.
                          Last edited by Rocksteady; February 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                            I'm going to suggest you hit the brakes on this. You didnt specify why you are IST'ing.

If it is similar to what Polo has posted, I suggest you dont take any of the above actions.

Stop. If you get an AGR job, do what others have done and contact the SF unit. They have their own recruiters. The OSM is not one of them. Go to one of their briefings and find out when their drills are during the weekend and how the work.

Work your AGR job and when SFRE weekends or weeks are coming, SUTA or just drive there and do them.

For all you know you'll get there and hate it. You're gambling a lot of "If's" on "if's". Wait and see what you have before you worry about losing it.
                            I guess the origins of my apprehension came from an E-6 who is currently an AGR at the same unit. He considered going SF and directly spoke with the SF group commander at one point in time about going to selection. However, the SF gentleman discouraged him on the basis that the state has already spent so much money on him already as an AGR. He never went to selection and regrets it.

I don't want to put myself in a position where an SF recruiter decides I'm not a good fit simply because my state invested in me a bunch of money to be an AGR.

...Actually this all sounds like a bunch of bulls**t NG politics.

Comment

I guess the origins of my apprehension came from an E-6 who is currently an AGR at the same unit. He considered going SF and directly spoke with the SF group commander at one point in time about going to selection. However, the SF gentleman discouraged him on the basis that the state has already spent so much money on him already as an AGR. He never went to selection and regrets it.

I don't want to put myself in a position where an SF recruiter decides I'm not a good fit simply because my state invested in me a bunch of money to be an AGR.

...Actually this all sounds like a bunch of bulls**t NG politics.
                              Dude...stop listening to what other people are telling you, and go get the information directly from the SF unit. For a number of reasons that I'm not going to go into at this time, the story you were told doesn't check out.

Rhetorical question: how many guys out there have a story that begins with "I was going to [insert: attend SFAS, graduate from Ranger School, attempt SFODD selection, attend BUD/S, hook up with a hot chick, graduate high school], but..."???

Good luck...

Comment

Working...
                              X