Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD MAJOR to SF NG

Hello,
    I'm an active duty Major (90A) with 16 years who as been 2 x non-select but selectively continued (SELCON). So, I most likely will be a Major until retirement. I found a NG SF unit in NC and I would like to go do the SFRE during my next assignment, which most likely will be at Fort Bragg S-4 OIC at SPECIAL WARFARE TRAINING GROUP or the G4 at USASOC (working w/ Branch Manger now). If possible I'll try to go to SFAS prior to NG (if possible) at these commands.
    So, if I do this I would be at 18 years (age 41 at 18 yrs) , SFRE complete and move over to NG unit, (reduce my rank E-5 or CPT) if allowed. What are some pros and cons to this COA? What are some variables I'm not looking at? Thanks.

Re: AD MAJOR to SF NG

Originally posted by shepparl View Post
    Hello,
    I'm an active duty Major (90A) with 16 years who as been 2 x non-select but selectively continued (SELCON). So, I most likely will be a Major until retirement. I found a NG SF unit in NC and I would like to go do the SFRE during my next assignment, which most likely will be at Fort Bragg S-4 OIC at SPECIAL WARFARE TRAINING GROUP or the G4 at USASOC (working w/ Branch Manger now). If possible I'll try to go to SFAS prior to NG (if possible) at these commands.
    So, if I do this I would be at 18 years (age 41 at 18 yrs) , SFRE complete and move over to NG unit, (reduce my rank E-5 or CPT) if allowed. What are some pros and cons to this COA? What are some variables I'm not looking at? Thanks.
    First of all, my understanding is that your chances of getting a slot at SFAS as an active duty Major are zero (team commander is an O-3 billet). I am also under the impression that it is not possible for officers to take a voluntary reduction. I'm not 100% certain on either of those, but I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

When it comes to NG SF, your best bet is to contact specific units and see what they can do. The best possible scenario for you would be to get through their SFRE/assessment/whatever and attend SFAS before resigning your commission, so in the event that you are not selected, you'll be able to continue in the NG/reserve as an officer. However, I'm not sure if that's actually possible -- and even if it is, the gaining unit has to be willing to go down that road with you.

FYI, I am in 20th SFG's assessment program myself (in MD), albeit under much more conventional circumstances.

edit: By "voluntary reduction" I am referring to a reduction within the officer ranks. It is definitely possible -- under the right circumstances -- for an officer to resign a commission and assume an enlisted rank/position.
    Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; February 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Jwarren,
      Thanks for the info. I'm from MD and if you have good POC, for the next 'Try out' and processing Q/A, it would be appreciated. I'll also look at NC Guard since I'll be back at FT Bragg this summer. I wondering will my years of service be an issue?

Comment

I just don't think this is a realistic plan for several reasons. Your age and rank are more of an issue than years of service. Presuming the SF takes you, I would presume that they would not take you as an officer -- particularly one without a combat arms background, and particularly again one whose career is a ticking time bomb. As a 2xns major, your career will end at 20 years of commissioned service. Also, I don't know of many Soldiers who start a career in SF in their 40s. Additionally, the SF training period is long, and it's not likely that your State would approve someone with 18+ years of active federal service to a long school, and thus fall into the 18-year lock-in.

You have other options. You can resign your commission and enlist, and continue your career from there, and retire at the highest grade honorably held. You could also join a conventional Guard unit as a major, and get two more tries for promotion by a reserve promotion board. With a waiver, and presuming you have the appropriate background, you could become an ARNG logistics warrant officer, and continue your career in that venue.

Please clarify whether you will leave the active component with 18 years AFS, or after 20 years AFS and retirement. If the latter, then this whole discussion is moot.

Comment

Your perceived COA's are not possible. You will not even be considered for NG SF as a current MAJ/O-4, especially 2xns. You cannot attend SFAS as an O-4. You will not be able to voluntarily take a reduction in rank to O-3 and even if you could, the fact that you have already made it to O-4 is the issue. You are considered too senior as an officer. Your only "possible" option is to resign your federal commission now, revert to NCO, enlist in the Army National Guard and then apply to attend an SFRE with a NG SF unit. This is all assuming that a NG SF unit will even consider you with 16+ years AFS and no combat arms experience.

Also, at your age and years service I hope you are at least Airborne qualified.

Comment

Sir,
            I transfer over to NG NLT 18 yrs (2015) and only if I was assessed and accepted in the unit. Once assessed I will have to take that option of rank reduction (enlisted) and thus retire with the highest rank held 0-4. All this will be done during my final 24 mos AFS. I have no intentions to try for SF as an MAJOR, 'long in the tooth' as they say. It's all going to come down to the unit and if they'll give me an opportunity.

I did learn something, I did not know that you could join the National Guard and have an additional try's at an reserve promotion board. I'm pretty much coming full circle I started in the Navy (SEAL) trainee did make it, got hurt, became Supply Corps Officer; tried out for Combat Rescue Officer in the Navy came up short and went into Army as an 0-4 with 12 yrs in, and tried for Delta and my year group was to senior only because I was promoted below the zone as a LCDR went from 97 to 96 during my IST; all AFS no breaks. Since I'm 2x non-select didn't get the 'heart beat' COMs although still good write ups. I want to go for what I initially always wanted to do. I have to just locate a unit that will take me and enlist. I do want to know if a unit would reduce me back to 1LT or CPT in SF or only and E5? Thanks.

Comment

Okay I just saw SF Hunter note on my last questions. I'm Airborne qualifed and getting Air Assault this summer. If I could get Ranger prior I would.

Comment

I'm pretty much coming full circle I started in the Navy (SEAL) trainee did make it, got hurt, became Supply Corps Officer; tried out for Combat Rescue Officer in the Navy came up short and went into Army as an 0-4 with 12 yrs in, and tried for Delta and my year group was to senior only because I was promoted below the zone as a LCDR went from 97 to 96 during my IST; all AFS no breaks. Since I'm 2x non-select didn't get the 'heart beat' COMs although still good write ups. I want to go for what I initially always wanted to do. I have to just locate a unit that will take me and enlist. I do want to know if a unit would reduce me back to 1LT or CPT in SF or only and E5? Thanks.
                WOW! is all I can say.

You will not be reduced in rank as an officer. Again, your only option is too revert to NCO (E-6).

Comment

SF Hunter, Sir

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated

Comment

There's no regulatory provision to bring you in at a lower officer grade.

Comment

Working...
                    X