X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question in regard to eyesight requirements for Special Forces

My apologies in advance for not posting this question in the right forum. I have an eye condition called strabismus (monocular ?). With this condition I have vision in both eyes however I can only see out of one at a time. Would this condition disqualify me from giving Special Forces (or the Army for that matter) a shot? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Dan

Re: Question in regard to eyesight requirements for Special Forces

I believe strabismus would fall under this category in the Medical Standard (DoDi 6130.03) since it refers to a misalignment (i.e. esotropia, exotropia, and hypertropia):

"(3) Esotropia (378.0x), exotropia (378.1x), and hypertropia (378.31) [do not qualify]: For entrance into
    Service academies and officer programs, the individual Military Services may set additional
    requirements. The Military Services shall determine special administrative criteria for
    assignment to certain specialties."

According to this, misalignment can be a disqualification. However, it also sounds like it can be waived depending on administrative criteria. I would encourage you to discuss your condition with a recruiter. If you have or can get an assessment from your civilian eye doctor, that will help your case as well.

Let me know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by danm2292 View Post
      My apologies in advance for not posting this question in the right forum. I have an eye condition called strabismus (monocular ?). With this condition I have vision in both eyes however I can only see out of one at a time. Would this condition disqualify me from giving Special Forces (or the Army for that matter) a shot? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Dan
      Unfortunately, this will be a medical disqualification for Special Forces. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Comment

Thank you both for your prompt and informative responses. I was kind of guessing that strabismus would prevent me from trying out for SF , but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Despite the fact that I'm unable to serve in that capacity(SF or SOF), I am still determined to serve in the Army or another branch in some way. Thanks again.
        -Dan

Comment

Working...
        X