Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

    Here's the deal. I am a 30 year old male (soon to be 31 this year) that is non prior service and that is interested in pursuing SF with the National Guard. I also would like to pursue a law enforcement career starting first on the local level and then eventually working my way up to the federal level. I am not interested in pursuing SF simply because it may look "good on a resume" but rather because I want to serve my country in one of the most elite and unique outfits within the US Army. My question is this: from the experience of those who are in the NG SF and who currently work as police officers in their civilian life or those who are SF and work with other SF members who are in law enforcement, what has been the general consensus regarding what the law enforcement officers decided to do first? In other words, did those Green Berets decide to pursue their NG military ambitions first THEN become police officers or was it the other way around? I'm at a point now that I know this (SF) is what I want to do, but I am trying to weigh the pros and the cons of joining the NG first then pursuing the law enforcement track or doing it the reverse order.

    I guess I am a bit concerned that if I decided to join the NG and become SF qualified then attempt to look for a job in law enforcment, agencies will be hesistant because of my training/deployment schedule. On the other hand and even though by the law the department would have to keep my posistion, if I become a police officer first then decide to pursue the NG option, that may leave a bad taste in the department's mouth since I would be gone for about 2 years and some change for training. Has anyone had experience in this area?

    Thanks for your input.

  • #2
    Re: NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

    Originally posted by Saltamonte View Post
    Here's the deal. I am a 30 year old male (soon to be 31 this year) that is non prior service and that is interested in pursuing SF with the National Guard. I also would like to pursue a law enforcement career starting first on the local level and then eventually working my way up to the federal level. I am not interested in pursuing SF simply because it may look "good on a resume" but rather because I want to serve my country in one of the most elite and unique outfits within the US Army. My question is this: from the experience of those who are in the NG SF and who currently work as police officers in their civilian life or those who are SF and work with other SF members who are in law enforcement, what has been the general consensus regarding what the law enforcement officers decided to do first? In other words, did those Green Berets decide to pursue their NG military ambitions first THEN become police officers or was it the other way around? I'm at a point now that I know this (SF) is what I want to do, but I am trying to weigh the pros and the cons of joining the NG first then pursuing the law enforcement track or doing it the reverse order.

    I guess I am a bit concerned that if I decided to join the NG and become SF qualified then attempt to look for a job in law enforcment, agencies will be hesistant because of my training/deployment schedule. On the other hand and even though by the law the department would have to keep my posistion, if I become a police officer first then decide to pursue the NG option, that may leave a bad taste in the department's mouth since I would be gone for about 2 years and some change for training. Has anyone had experience in this area?

    Thanks for your input.
    That path of least resistance is seems like it would be law enforcement first and then Special Forces. The former is much easier to accomplish than the latter. It's like taking exams, you try to do what is easy first and then come back and work on the harder problems later.

    But I would get my feet wet first (since you're NPS) with BCT and AIT.

    This is just my perspective. Obviously, it's different for each individual. I'm not in your shoes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

      Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      That path of least resistance is seems like it would be law enforcement first and then Special Forces. The former is much easier to accomplish than the latter. It's like taking exams, you try to do what is easy first and then come back and work on the harder problems later.

      But I would get my feet wet first (since you're NPS) with BCT and AIT.

      This is just my perspective. Obviously, it's different for each individual. I'm not in your shoes.
      Thanks for the response. I never considered the idea of doing LE first for the reason you mentioned, but it does make sense. I plan on obtaining a REP 63 contract, so when you say do BCT and AIT first isn't that what I would be doing anyway in the pipeline before, of course, jump school and SFAS? Do Rep 63 programs adequately prepare non prior service personnel for the rigors of selection? Of course, once my mind is made up about pursuing the SF option (whether first or second) I will train extensively on the physical side of things, but I still wonder whether the actual program does enough to help candidates out prior to selection. If anyone else has input, I would appreciate it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

        You should go into it in the best physical shape you can attain. Don't rely in the Army to prepare you adequately for SFAS and possibly Q course. SOPC is not very long. During BCT and AIT I actually got out of shape because overall the level of activity we would do for morning PT and getting smoked throughout the day wasn't much compared to a weekend soccer tournament and all the training I would do daily at home. It's all the hardwork those operators put into it on their own time that sets them apart (among other things). So if its something you want then put in the hard work starting yesterday.

        I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to start a federal law enforcent career before age 34.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NG Special Forces and a law enforcement career

          Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
          You should go into it in the best physical shape you can attain. Don't rely in the Army to prepare you adequately for SFAS and possibly Q course. SOPC is not very long. During BCT and AIT I actually got out of shape because overall the level of activity we would do for morning PT and getting smoked throughout the day wasn't much compared to a weekend soccer tournament and all the training I would do daily at home. It's all the hardwork those operators put into it on their own time that sets them apart (among other things). So if its something you want then put in the hard work starting yesterday.

          I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to start a federal law enforcent career before age 34.
          I believe it's 37 but I've heard of extensions/waivers for certain scenarios.

          But honestly, I can't imagine taking a pay cut to GS-9/10 compared to what my potential income would be in my career field after 8+ years of experience.

          From an opportunity cost perspective, I would only consider that as a viable option within the next 1-3 year window personally.

          Anyways, this was slightly off topic. When I went down to MD for the SFRE briefing, the RNCO addressed that and said, "If it was me, I would take what puts food on the table."
          Last edited by Polo08816; January 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM.

          Comment

          Working...
          X