X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots for training & used in SFAD

I am currently NOT enlisted in the military or national guard as I try to finish up with school first. Therefore I do not have the 2 pairs of army issue boots required for SFAD, stated on the packing list. The list given to me shows the pictures of 8 different boots along with their Brand names such as: Altama, Bates, Belleville, Wellco, etc... When I go on their respective official online websites to purchase a pair, I am confused to see so many different styles/models. I find that just knowing the brands of boots is not enough information. To a civilian such as myself they all look the same.

My question is... can someone specify at least one MODEL/STYLE from any of these brands that is allowed in SFAD?

I am currently in training-mode and have not yet began the enlistment process. I still would like to purchase a pair of boots to begin familiarization training for my ruck marches.
    I decided to post this question in case anyone out there training is also wondering the same thing and doesn't want to waste money buying the wrong gear.

As always, thank you for your time and consideration.

Re: Boots for training & used in SFAD

I do not recommend purchasing brand new boots for training. I would look at some military surplus stores for some "new like" or gently used military issue boots in your size.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM. Reason: REP 63 no longer offered in TX

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      I do not recommend purchasing brand new boots for training. I would look at some military surplus stores for some "new like" or gently used military issue boots in your size.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lemirlira View Post
        I am currently NOT enlisted in the military or national guard as I try to finish up with school first. Therefore I do not have the 2 pairs of army issue boots required for SFAD, stated on the packing list. The list given to me shows the pictures of 8 different boots along with their Brand names such as: Altama, Bates, Belleville, Wellco, etc... When I go on their respective official online websites to purchase a pair, I am confused to see so many different styles/models. I find that just knowing the brands of boots is not enough information. To a civilian such as myself they all look the same.

My question is... can someone specify at least one MODEL/STYLE from any of these brands that is allowed in SFAD?

I am currently in training-mode and have not yet began the enlistment process. I still would like to purchase a pair of boots to begin familiarization training for my ruck marches.
        I decided to post this question in case anyone out there training is also wondering the same thing and doesn't want to waste money buying the wrong gear.

Disclaimer: I have not attended SFAS yet, but I am currently in the pre-SFAS training/assessment program with 20th SFG in Maryland and I have successfully completed both the land navigation and physical assessments, so take that for what it's worth.

I bought a pair of Nike SFBs (the ultralight ones) because I figured that having the lightest possible boots would be ideal. My opinion on the ultralight boots is that they are great if (and only if) your only activity is marching on hard-packed dirt or sand. For *any* other activities they are terrible because they offer no ankle support and they feel cheaply made. MD's ruck course is a relatively rocky (and very hilly) loop and after completing it with my Nikes I got the feeling that it had been dumb luck that kept me from rolling an ankle. When I did the same course again two months later I wore my Oakleys which are heavier but offer great support and feel much better made. One of the new guys was wearing Nikes and I mentioned to him that the course was very rough and that he might want to consider wearing a different pair of boots if he had them available (he didn't). He was leading the pack when he hyper-extended a knee going down a steep, rocky hill and eventually had to drop out of the tryout on the six-mile run because he was in too much pain.

Can I say definitively that the boots were to blame for his injury? No. But given my impression of them as well as his experience, I'd say the correlation is strong enough that I'm not going to use them.

I feel much better having a single pair of boots that I know are going to work well for any application (forced march, land navigation on mountainous terrain, etc.) and not worrying about wearing different kinds of boots for different events. By the way, the edge that you'll get from lighter boots is marginal and is almost imperceptible unless you're running, in my experience.

Check out some of the SFRE/SFAS prep threads at professionalsoldiers.com. From what I have read, it appears that any AR 670-1 authorized boots are acceptable at SFAS.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lemirlira View Post

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          Disclaimer: I have not attended SFAS yet, but I am currently in the pre-SFAS training/assessment program with 20th SFG in Maryland and I have successfully completed both the land navigation and physical assessments, so take that for what it's worth.

I bought a pair of Nike SFBs (the ultralight ones) because I figured that having the lightest possible boots would be ideal. My opinion on the ultralight boots is that they are great if (and only if) your only activity is marching on hard-packed dirt or sand. For *any* other activities they are terrible because they offer no ankle support and they feel cheaply made. MD's ruck course is a relatively rocky (and very hilly) loop and after completing it with my Nikes I got the feeling that it had been dumb luck that kept me from rolling an ankle. When I did the same course again two months later I wore my Oakleys which are heavier but offer great support and feel much better made. One of the new guys was wearing Nikes and I mentioned to him that the course was very rough and that he might want to consider wearing a different pair of boots if he had them available (he didn't). He was leading the pack when he hyper-extended a knee going down a steep, rocky hill and eventually had to drop out of the tryout on the six-mile run because he was in too much pain.

Can I say definitively that the boots were to blame for his injury? No. But given my impression of them as well as his experience, I'd say the correlation is strong enough that I'm not going to use them.

I feel much better having a single pair of boots that I know are going to work well for any application (forced march, land navigation on mountainous terrain, etc.) and not worrying about wearing different kinds of boots for different events. By the way, the edge that you'll get from lighter boots is marginal and is almost imperceptible unless you're running, in my experience.

Check out some of the SFRE/SFAS prep threads at professionalsoldiers.com. From what I have read, it appears that any AR 670-1 authorized boots are acceptable at SFAS.

Good luck.
          Just FYI: The only boots you can take to SFAS are Army issue type boots (AR 670-1 requirements). (Altama, Bates, Belleville, Belleville Winter, Danner Winter, Matterhorn, Rocky or Wellco)
          Last edited by SF Hunter; February 5th, 2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            Just FYI: The only boots you can take to SFAS are Army issued boots, PERIOD. (Altama, Bates, Belleville, Belleville Winter, Danner Winter, Matterhorn, Rocky or Wellco)
            I've used the Rocky boots during my tour in the sandbox. Most....comfortable......boots....ever! Granted I'm not SF, but as an 11B, those things saved your feet will walking around that god forsaken AO.

Comment

Working...
            X