X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard vs. Active Duty SF for an MBA

I am currently a first semester MBA student in Texas, turning 25 in a little over a week. I am set on enlisting in Army SF, hopefully leaving in June or July. However, I am having a hard time deciding on what the best course of action is for myself. Up until a few days ago my plan was to leave school after this semester, enlist active duty, serve my 5-6 years and then return to school to finish my MBA/JD (I would have taken the LSAT along the way). At this point, this is more likely my plan.

I have never before considered the National Guard, but after research I have been led to believe that I can fulfill my goals in the military while simultaneously getting my graduate degrees out of the way. I am more than interested in the active duty military and SOF lifestyle, and would likely try to maneuver laterally into active duty, or even attempt OCS after my three years of graduate school. Those last two ideas are a little far sighted though, and predicated on my initial decision, which is ultimately why I am here today. And after few years and graduation I may be sitting on a pretty awesome job offer, and wouldn't it be nice to already be in my SF detachment and have my training out of the way? This is something I need to consider.

Points also to consider are my current student loan balance and the additional costs I will accrue further along my academic career, and where the Army or NG can help. Also, where I will continue my school, as I plan on leaving my current school, either continuing in Texas, or likely settling in the Denver area or even Ohio, where a friend of mine has been trying to get me to move for a while. From what I understand you must first contact the detachment you wish to serve in and inquire as to openings, which is why I would like as much inside information as possible before making my decision and getting a Top's hopes up after a phone call. I was originally hoping on having an enlistment in the SF to put on a graduate school transfer application, but likely a year or so away from school training in the NG would hold similar sway.

I am 6'1 and 225 pounds, with a little too much fluff, but that's being tended to. I train daily, posting a 2 mile in 15 at mediocre effort. I am not exactly sure what my best run would be, as I leave most hard conditioning in the weight room with complexes or on the rower or other lower impact machine. My runs are frequent, just lower intensity. I can perform around 80 push ups in two minutes, a bit better in sit ups, and 13 dead hang pull ups. I lift pretty heavy three days a week, focusing on the basic compound movements (Stand military press, bench, squat, front squat, dead lift, power clean, power snatch, HEAVY dumbbell rows, jerks, thrusters). I'm hoping that with a little weight loss in the next couple months my PT scores will be over the top.

I know I have thrown a lot out here for the members on this board, and there are certainly a number of points to consider, but I am making a major decision in my life, and want as much relevant information as possible. My number 1 goal is to serve in the SF, but If I can get my initial training out of the way and serve and train while in school, that's something to definitely consider. I understand that the decision ultimately falls upon my own self, and that only I can decide what is best for me, but any help along the way will be greatly appreciated.

I thank you all for your time and interest, and any points will be weighed in my decision,

Thanks again,

Aaron

Re: National Guard vs. Active Duty SF for an MBA

Originally posted by OursIsTheFury View Post
    I am currently a first semester MBA student in Texas, turning 25 in a little over a week. I am set on enlisting in Army SF, hopefully leaving in June or July. However, I am having a hard time deciding on what the best course of action is for myself. Up until a few days ago my plan was to leave school after this semester, enlist active duty, serve my 5-6 years and then return to school to finish my MBA/JD (I would have taken the LSAT along the way). At this point, this is more likely my plan.

I have never before considered the National Guard, but after research I have been led to believe that I can fulfill my goals in the military while simultaneously getting my graduate degrees out of the way. I am more than interested in the active duty military and SOF lifestyle, and would likely try to maneuver laterally into active duty, or even attempt OCS after my three years of graduate school. Those last two ideas are a little far sighted though, and predicated on my initial decision, which is ultimately why I am here today. And after few years and graduation I may be sitting on a pretty awesome job offer, and wouldn't it be nice to already be in my SF detachment and have my training out of the way? This is something I need to consider.

Points also to consider are my current student loan balance and the additional costs I will accrue further along my academic career, and where the Army or NG can help. Also, where I will continue my school, as I plan on leaving my current school, either continuing in Texas, or likely settling in the Denver area or even Ohio, where a friend of mine has been trying to get me to move for a while. From what I understand you must first contact the detachment you wish to serve in and inquire as to openings, which is why I would like as much inside information as possible before making my decision and getting a Top's hopes up after a phone call. I was originally hoping on having an enlistment in the SF to put on a graduate school transfer application, but likely a year or so away from school training in the NG would hold similar sway.

I am 6'1 and 225 pounds, with a little too much fluff, but that's being tended to. I train daily, posting a 2 mile in 15 at mediocre effort. I am not exactly sure what my best run would be, as I leave most hard conditioning in the weight room with complexes or on the rower or other lower impact machine. My runs are frequent, just lower intensity. I can perform around 80 push ups in two minutes, a bit better in sit ups, and 13 dead hang pull ups. I lift pretty heavy three days a week, focusing on the basic compound movements (Stand military press, bench, squat, front squat, dead lift, power clean, power snatch, HEAVY dumbbell rows, jerks, thrusters). I'm hoping that with a little weight loss in the next couple months my PT scores will be over the top.

I know I have thrown a lot out here for the members on this board, and there are certainly a number of points to consider, but I am making a major decision in my life, and want as much relevant information as possible. My number 1 goal is to serve in the SF, but If I can get my initial training out of the way and serve and train while in school, that's something to definitely consider. I understand that the decision ultimately falls upon my own self, and that only I can decide what is best for me, but any help along the way will be greatly appreciated.

I thank you all for your time and interest, and any points will be weighed in my decision,

Thanks again,

Aaron
    Is there a question somewhere is this?

Comment

Those plans will put a lot on your plate in a short-time span. I suggest you focus on one major goal at a time. To me, education is paramount and should always trump the rest. You can always enlist in a "soft" MOS if you are looking for education benefits for the time being than pursue your HOOAH aspirations since you are still in your ripe years for the next 7 years.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 15th, 2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        Is there a question somewhere is this?
        I'm asking for advice, given my situation and particular goals to be taken into consideration. I was hoping there would be those around here who have been in school while pursuing these ends, and may have information to share given their own experiences. I'm sorry if that was not clear enough.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Those plans will put a lot on your plate in a short-time span. I suggest you focus on one major goal at a time. To me, education is paramount and should always trump the rest. You can always enlist in a "soft" MOS if you are looking for education benefits for the time being than pursue your HOOAH aspirations since you are still in your ripe years for the next 7 years.
          That is certainly a strong point, but my main goal as of right now is to serve. I am absolutely bored with the academic and civilian work world, and am ready to jump in to what I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I don't mind putting my educational aspirations on hold in that pursuit, as with either path, NG or AD, a hiatus will be required.

That said, I am very intrigued by the idea of serving while in school, and advice from those around here regarding whether or not that is a viable path would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'm asking for advice, given my situation and particular goals to be taken into consideration. I was hoping there would be those around here who have been in school while pursuing these ends, and may have information to share given their own experiences. I'm sorry if that was not clear enough.
            It's still pretty vague. We're not in your shoes. We can't plan your life.

Comment

I am absolutely bored with the academic and civilian work world
              This is exactly the wrong type of motivation in pursuing Special Forces. There have been many before you that tried the exact same thing and have either straight up quit or failed the program. Special Forces is not to be taken lightly and something you want to do as a kick or just another fun life experience. Wanting to do something and desire can only get you so-far. It takes serious intestinal fortitude to complete the required assessments, evaluations and training required for Special Forces or any SOF programs.

I highly recommend you enlist into some other field/MOS and see if the military life is even something you want. One analogy that can be used is: Wade into the shallow end of the pool and see if you like the water, instead of jumping from the high dive into the deep end and finding out you cant swim. Once you have some experience and time served, plus you can continue your education, then you can apply/try-out for Special Forces.
              Last edited by SF Hunter; January 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                This is exactly the wrong type of motivation in pursuing Special Forces. There have been many before you that tried the exact same thing and have either straight up quit or failed the program. Special Forces is not to be taken lightly and something you want to do as a kick or just another fun life experience. Wanting to do something and desire can only get you so-far. It takes serious intestinal fortitude to complete the required assessments, evaluations and training required for Special Forces or any SOF programs.

I highly recommend you enlist into some other field/MOS and see if the military life is even something you want. One analogy that can be used is: Wade into the shallow end of the pool and see if you like the water, instead of jumping from the high dive into the deep end and finding out you cant swim. Once you have some experience and time served, plus you can continue your education, then you can apply/try-out for Special Forces.
                I would like to emphasize the point that I am not taking this lightly, though that may be hard to judge on your end, and understandably so. This is something I have wanted to do for quite a long time, and has always been a major goal in my life. What I said earlier about "boredom" with my current surroundings is referring to my sense of this being the time to go after it. The point of my posting this thread was to hopefully generate some discussion as to the pros and cons of each route, and how best to approach either decision. I may have not provided enough specifics, or made things clear enough, but I do appreciate the points provided.

Comment

I would like to emphasize the point that I am not taking this lightly, though that may be hard to judge on your end, and understandably so. This is something I have wanted to do for quite a long time, and has always been a major goal in my life. What I said earlier about "boredom" with my current surroundings is referring to my sense of this being the time to go after it. The point of my posting this thread was to hopefully generate some discussion as to the pros and cons of each route, and how best to approach either decision. I may have not provided enough specifics, or made things clear enough, but I do appreciate the points provided.
                  http://specialforces.nationalguard.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X