X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer/SF

I'll try to make my question as simple as possible.

I'm prior service AD got out in 2006 as 11b. I currently live in NJ with over 90 credits. I'm looking at attending OCS to obviously get my commission. I'm also very interested in attending SF selection. However, the closet SF unit is in Maryland. I will also be turning 28 in june. My question is given my age and location, would it be better to attend OCS in New Jersey then transfer to MD for SF tryouts or should I start everything in MD? Also, my age is sure to be a factor given the current age reqs. Would it be better to go towards OCS then selection or vice versa?

Thanks

Re: Officer/SF

You can find the answers to you questions in the various sticky posts by SF Hunter within this very forum.

I will reiterate that you cannot try and assess SF as a commissioned officer until you reach CPT or 1LT(P), so you'd probably have a better shot enlisting into the state that has SF and trying out with the unit. If SF is your real goal, you should probably shoot for SF first then later do OCS if you still wish to since in-service applicants to NG OCS can commission up until age 42 (for now).
    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
      You can find the answers to you questions in the various sticky posts by SF Hunter within this very forum.

I will reiterate that you cannot try and assess SF as a commissioned officer until you reach CPT or 1LT(P), so you'd probably have a better shot enlisting into the state that has SF and trying out with the unit. If SF is your real goal, you should probably shoot for SF first then later do OCS if you still wish to since in-service applicants to NG OCS can commission up until age 42 (for now).
      +1 to most of eqmcclure's advice, except what is in bold type. I really do not recommend this path.
      If you really want to become a commissioned officer, then pursue that first. Once you are a 1LT or CPT, then apply/try-out for SF. You can do this from NJ ARNG, but it would be an easier option if you were serving in the same state that you eventually wanting to apply for SF with, ie Maryland.

Just FYI: SF Officer (18A) is not all its cracked up to be. If you are lucky, you would have about 2-3 years ODA time.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrolled View Post
        My question is given my age and location, would it be better to attend OCS in New Jersey then transfer to MD for SF tryouts or should I start everything in MD? Also, my age is sure to be a factor given the current age reqs.
        If your ultimate goal is SF, I would definitely go through MD now rather than have to deal with an IST. I speak from experience; I am an NJARNG officer and I'm in the SF assessment pipeline with MDARNG. Since I've passed the assessments thus far, I'm now trying to transfer to MD in order to attend SFAS. It's an extra unnecessary hurdle. By the way, my understanding of things leads me to believe that there are vastly more opportunities for combat arms officers in MD than in NJ (special schools, assignments, etc).

Originally posted by Scrolled View Post
        Would it be better to go towards OCS then selection or vice versa?
        Two different paths. Do you want to be an SF NCO or an SF Officer? Assuming you make it through all the training, you could always attend OCS after putting in a few years on a team. However, there's a good chance that you'd have to do a few years in a conventional unit after commissioning before coming back to SF as an officer.

This is not correct. There is nothing that explicitly prohibits a 2LT from attending SFAS. 20th SFG in MD definitely allows junior 1LTs into their assessment program. 20th SFG in MA states explicitly in their welcome packet that officers must be in grades O-1 through O-3. Officers are typically senior 1LTs or junior CPTs when they attend SFAS, but this is not a hard rule.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          This is not correct. There is nothing that explicitly prohibits a 2LT from attending SFAS. 20th SFG in MD definitely allows junior 1LTs into their assessment program. 20th SFG in MA states explicitly in their welcome packet that officers must be in grades O-1 through O-3. Officers are typically senior 1LTs or junior CPTs when they attend SFAS, but this is not a hard rule.
          jwarren is correct on this statement. Ultimately, it depends on the NG SF unit and there current needs and policies for future officer applicants.

Most NG SF units are only looking at 1LT's, preferably promotable in combat arms branches.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            Just FYI: SF Officer (18A) is not all its cracked up to be. If you are lucky, you would have about 2-3 years ODA time.
            I framed my response around this, as if the OP were more interested in Special Forces than commissioning.

If you want to commission though brother, by all means sign up and join the party!

Comment

You can find the answers to you questions in the various sticky posts by SF Hunter within this very forum. Try here first http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements

You are confusing ARNG SF eligibility with Active Duty SF eligibility. They are not the same. However, to be SF qualified (complete the process), you still need to excel in the same way as Active Duty counterparts.

Comment

OP's questions and concerns have been answered off thread thru PM.

Comment

Working...
                X