Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Outlook-Special Forces

Hello to anyone who can provide a good review of my career choice:

I am a high school junior and am planning to take the ASVAB in the spring. I am a straight A student and take Advanced Placement Classes. What I am planning to do go as this:

Once finished with High School, enlist in the Alabama Army National Guard as an 18B Special Forces Weapons Sergeant with Farsi as my foreign language. Once I pay my service, I would like to use my saved funds to allow me to go to University of Utah online as I'm getting my helicopter license with Midwest Helicopter so I can become an Oil-Rig Heli Pilot.

I just need some guidance as to how to approach this or what I can do different?

Thnks

Re: Career Outlook-Special Forces

Well, I will let you know that currently Alabama is only accepting non prior service applicants on a limited case-by-case basis. You must be "at least" 20 years old and have a college education. You would have to attend and pass their SFRE, before enlistment, in order to qualify for a REP 63/18X contract.

Also, SF MOS and language selection are not guaranteed. It is based on your aptitude scores, but ultimately its up to the needs of SF within Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      Well, I will let you know that currently Alabama is only accepting non prior service applicants on a limited case-by-case basis. You must be "at least" 20 years old and have a college education. You would have to attend and pass their SFRE, before enlistment, in order to qualify for a REP 63/18X contract.

Also, SF MOS and language selection are not guaranteed. It is based on your aptitude scores, but ultimately its up to the needs of SF within Alabama.
      OP, if this is the route you are going to take, I recommend that you have health insurance before doing so. SFRE is not designed to injure you if you are prepared, but in the event that it does I'm not sure Tri-Care will cover you.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        OP, if this is the route you are going to take, I recommend that you have health insurance before doing so. SFRE is not designed to injure you if you are prepared, but in the event that it does I'm not sure Tri-Care will cover you.
        This is done as a civilian. You will have to voluntarily sign a liability waiver with the state of Alabama. So, if you get hurt, its on you.
        Last edited by SF Hunter; January 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X