X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lasik eye surgery

I talked to a recruiter a couple of years ago about joining active duty as an 18x. I have had lasik eye surgery and that it is not waiverable for special forces. Only PRK is. Now that I have graduated college, I was wondering if there might be some kind of waiver for Lasik if I went through the National Guard.

Thanks for any responses.

Re: lasik eye surgery

Originally posted by barne734 View Post
    I talked to a recruiter a couple of years ago about joining active duty as an 18x. I have had lasik eye surgery and that it is not waiverable for special forces. Only PRK is. Now that I have graduated college, I was wondering if there might be some kind of waiver for Lasik if I went through the National Guard.

Thanks for any responses.
    The medical standards are the same. If you had Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK), then you would not be eligible for Special Forces. The only eye surgery that is considered is PRK and Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (commonly known as LASEK),
    Last edited by SF Hunter; March 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hey there SF Hunter. Sorry for the thread resurrection but is this still true? I asked my SF recruiter here in MS and he told it wouldn't be a problem and that he would just need the medical reports. Also said the same thing about my knee surgery from 2001. Thanks for all you do.

Comment

I would go with what your SF recruiter is telling you. The SF Surgeon at JFKUSASWCS is the only one who can approve or deny your physical. They may now be considering LASIK, for general SF service, but it would still be a NO-GO for ever attending MFF (HALO) and Combat Diver (CDQC). Which doesnt limit you as an SF soldier, there are plenty who are not HALO or DIVE qualified.

Best of luck!

De Oppresso Liber

Comment

Working...
        X