X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Cadet gone SF: SMP as re-classed 18x

Greetings all, I had a question for anyone who can answer concerning the National Guard, SF, and the SMP. I am currently a non contracted cadet in ROTC at my university working on my freshman year. Although a degree and becoming an officer is important to me, my dream is to become an SF operator. When I found out that I have an SF unit in my state, the idea of going guard and attempting SFAS sounded more and more appealing. I know that I could enlist in the guard with an 18x option contract and have a shot at SF, and if i were to not be selected I would re-class as an 11B. If I were to get selected and pass the Q course, I am aware that you cannot do SMP, ( not that I would want to) and I would hopefully finish my degree while serving in the guard as SF. What I would like to know is in the event that I am re-classed, would I be able to do the SMP and rejoin the AROTC program at my university and continue on to become an officer.

Re: ROTC Cadet gone SF: SMP as re-classed 18x

In short Yes. If you are not selected for SF or fail the training and return to an 11B MOS and conventional unit. You would be able to attend ROTC and then enroll in SMP through the universities ROTC department.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorellis43 View Post
      Greetings all, I had a question for anyone who can answer concerning the National Guard, SF, and the SMP. I am currently a non contracted cadet in ROTC at my university working on my freshman year. Although a degree and becoming an officer is important to me, my dream is to become an SF operator. When I found out that I have an SF unit in my state, the idea of going guard and attempting SFAS sounded more and more appealing. I know that I could enlist in the guard with an 18x option contract and have a shot at SF, and if i were to not be selected I would re-class as an 11B. If I were to get selected and pass the Q course, I am aware that you cannot do SMP, ( not that I would want to) and I would hopefully finish my degree while serving in the guard as SF. What I would like to know is in the event that I am re-classed, would I be able to do the SMP and rejoin the AROTC program at my university and continue on to become an officer.
      ...or you could gain experience as an 11B and commission through ROTC. After gaining a few years experience as a commissioned officer (preferably Combat Arms branch), you could attend SFRE to see if you are worthy of being sent to SFAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        ...or you could gain experience as an 11B and commission through ROTC. After gaining a few years experience as a commissioned officer (preferably Combat Arms branch), you could attend SFRE to see if you are worthy of being sent to SFAS.
        Ditto to Polo08816 statement.
        You can pursue a commission first, whether through ROTC or OCS. Then apply/try-out for SF as an officer, once you meet the minimum officer requirements.

Comment

Thanks for the replies SF Hunter and Polo. My initial thought process was to commission, hopefully branch infantry, and then attempt the SF path, but it is my understanding that it is as hard to get a slot for SFAS as an officer as it is to actually get selected. My concern was that statistics would shut me down before I even had a chance to prove myself. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorellis43 View Post
            but it is my understanding that it is as hard to get a slot for SFAS as an officer as it is to actually get selected.
            You are correct in understanding that it is extremely competitive to get an officer slot for Special Forces in the Guard. There is small number of 18A (SF Operational Detachment Commander) positions and a high number of applicants apply/trying out. Some perspective: For every 1 enlisted/NCO soldier applying, there is 6 officers. But, the ratio of slots/positions is 10 NCOs to 1 Officer.

It is a lot easier to apply for SF as an enlisted/NCO.

Comment

That is what I thought. Thanks again for the replies SF Hunter, your wisdom and time is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X