Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just some questions

Hey gents,

A little back story and then I'll pose my questions. I am a United States Marine Corps Reservist serving here in CO. I have a deployment under my belt and I am currently an E-3. I score a 275 on the Marine PFT and a 286 on the Army PFT. (had myself tested by a recruiter I know who is prior Marine). I shoot expert on the range and have a GT score of 111. I am the equ. of a 13b. I originally tried to join the Army/Navy as a corpsman because that was what I wanted to do but due to Mos/rating blockages due to manpower I walked into the Marine Corps office and signed up. I know I have the mental capacity and the strength to give SF training my all and I want to prove that I can hang with the big dogs. Basically, I've become a Marine and I've fulfilled a childhood dream and would love to keep in the USMC but due to restrictions in the service and myself wanting to better myself as a Devil Dog, I want to take on another challenge. What I really want to know is how does one go about with the 18D mos? How many Marines (prior reserve or Active) try out for SF, and what are my honest chances? The only thing that I can think would be a hindrance is that I failed the stupid dot color test at meps but passed the FALANT test. I was speaking to the doc there and he told me if I was joining the Army I wouldnt be barred from any MOS but since I was joining the Marines it'd be a little issue. Any truth to that? I've gone looking through Army Medical Journals and Orders to see if I could figure it out but got lost in the legal jargon haha. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi
    Comarine14

Re: just some questions

Must be able to meet medical fitness standards for Special Forces as outlined in Chap. 5, AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness.

AR 40-501,
    Chapter 5-3
    g.(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with
    spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.
    (4) For Airborne and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para
    4–2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological
    Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT).

Comment

So I believe Im should be qual'd then because my medical jacket says Pass next to FALANT.

Comment

Originally posted by comarine14 View Post
        So I believe Im should be qual'd then because my medical jacket says Pass next to FALANT.
        The next step is to coordinate and schedule to attend an SF Readiness Evaluation/Assessment drill (SFRE/SFAD), basically a try-out, with a NG SF unit that is accepting applicants. If you pass the SFRE/SFAD you will be placed on a Order of Merit List (OML), based on your performance, for attendance to SFAS after you enlist into the Guard.

Comment

Do you mind if I ask what happens at the eval? I mean is it a physical try out or a oral board or what?

Comment

Do you mind if I ask what happens at the eval? I mean is it a physical try out or a oral board or what?
            Both.
            An SFRE/SFAD can vary with each NG SF unit, but the minimum will usually consist of a APFT (utilizing 17-21 age standards), pull-ups and or rope climb, 5-mile run, ruck march with no less than 50lbs of weight for an undisclosed distance and 50 meter swim event in uniform and boots.

Comment

Not trying to downplay the legendary Green Berets but sounds like nothing I haven't already done before. But then again I look at it as a good thing, I somewhat have a gauge of what the tryout would be like. Granted, I have no clue what it would actually be like til Im there but I know it will be fun. I know the two units in my state are at Watkins and Pueblo (Ft C).

Comment

Not trying to downplay the legendary Green Berets but sounds like nothing I haven't already done before. I know the two units in my state are at Watkins and Pueblo (Ft C).
                This is only the unit level try-out/evaluation to determine if you have anything to bring to the table for SF and for them to consider you for attendance to SFAS.

SFAS is going to be the real assessment to sift out the men from the boys.

Comment

Rgr. Side note question: My buddy is currently in the Army and wants me to switch over and do SFAS through the active side. How does it work for prior service that direction? If you have any knowledge it'd be greatly appreciated SF Hunter.

Comment

Ultimately, you will need to speak to a regular Army recruiter for current prior service options. Active duty Army is being very selective of any prior service trying to enlist.

18X contracts are the norm for prior service, whether you want it or not. But, I hear it comes and goes with the needs of the Army and is only available to E-4s with less than 30 years of age.

Comment

does the Army/ANG get a lot of prior service Marines trying out for SF?

Comment

does the Army/ANG (to correct: ARNG) get a lot of prior service Marines trying out for SF?
                        Yes. Most prior Marines do fairly well.

Comment

How would the 18x work if I had to switch from my current MOS to one of the 18x? Do you go to MOS school first then SFAS or do you do SF pipe first and then training (basic and advanced) for your particular designation?

Comment

Special Forces Candidates (18X) will attend Infantry One Station Unit Training (OSUT), which combines Army Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Infantry Advanced Individual Training (AIT), in one 15 week course at Fort Benning, GA. Upon graduation, Special Forces Candidates will attend 3-week Airborne Training also at Fort Benning, GA. After "jump school," candidates attend a 3-week Special Forces Preparation and Conditioning course (SFPC) and then the 3-week Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) program at Fort Bragg, NC. The SFAS program assesses and selects Soldiers for attendance to the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC).

SFAS course uses a “Whole Man” selection process that assesses each candidate for six attributes that are important for all Special Forces Soldiers. These attributes are intelligence, trainability, physical fitness, motivation, influence, and judgment. If the recruit passes SFAS, he moves onto the SFQC. The SFQC teaches and develops the skills necessary for effective utilization of the SF Soldier.

There are four entry-level Special Forces MOS (CMF 18) .The decision of which SF MOS and language you will be trained in is based on your background, aptitude scores and desire. But, ultimately it will be up to the needs of Special Forces.

Comment

Is this for both the NG and active side?

Comment

Working...
                              X