Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard SF and Higher Education

Hello, I have a couple questions with regard to National Guard SF:
    I truly hope someone can give me factual information. Thanks.

1) When is the best time during the year to seek out the civilian-route contract option?

2) Once all initial pipeline training is complete/passed, can SF members seek professional school education fulltime (Medicine, Law, Dentistry)?

3) More specifically... can an SF member apply/attend medical (MD/DO) school without the risk of getting deployed overseas/interrupted from their full time studies?

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration,
    Thanks again.

Re: National Guard SF and Higher Education

Originally posted by lemirlira View Post

3) More specifically... can an SF member apply/attend medical (MD/DO) school without the risk of getting deployed overseas/interrupted from their full time studies?

Thanks again.
    No. I advise that you finish med school before joining the NG. No matter what unit you join there will always be the possibility of getting deployed and it doesn't matter if you are in college getting a liberal arts degree or zero gravity rocket surgery, the needs of the nation come before your own. Selfless service and sacrifice. I got pulled out of my freshman year of college during my first deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
      No. I advise that you finish med school before joining the NG. No matter what unit you join there will always be the possibility of getting deployed and it doesn't matter if you are in college getting a liberal arts degree or zero gravity rocket surgery, the needs of the nation come before your own. Selfless service and sacrifice.
      The language you're speaking is foreign to many new recruits.

I got pulled out of my freshman year of college during my first deployment.
      That sounds familiar.

Comment

Unless of course you did ROTC for the last 4 years of med school, in which case cadets cannot be deployed until they are commisioned officers and have attended their branch specific basic officer leader course. Downside is the officer route doesn't lend itself very well to SF as there is no direct route to SF as an officer, you have to spend time in another branch (a few years) before you can pursue SF. If SF is your goal then pursuing it while enlisted gives you a much better chance of actually getting a slot in SFAS, and its a more direct route with far less waiting time.

Comment

1) When is the best time during the year to seek out the civilian-route contract option?

2) Once all initial pipeline training is complete/passed, can SF members seek professional school education fulltime (Medicine, Law, Dentistry)?

Thanks again.
          If you are in a drilling status, you can enroll in full time classes. Of course, your military obligation comes first and you'll have to tailor your schedule accordingly.

Regardless, you are deployable. Why would you want to go through all the SF prerequisite training and NOT deploy? If you're going to volunteer for SF and take up a slot in some unit, you should be doing it for more than just the tab and beret.

Comment

1) When is the best time during the year to seek out the civilian-route contract option? There is no "best time". Apply year round.

2) Once all initial pipeline training is complete/passed, can SF members seek professional school education fulltime (Medicine, Law, Dentistry)? YES

3) More specifically... can an SF member apply/attend medical (MD/DO) school without the risk of getting deployed overseas/interrupted from their full time studies? NO

Thanks again.
            If your ultimate goal is too pursue a medical degree with the assistance of Guard education benefits, then I recommend you enlist for some other MOS and complete your education. Once you are in a better position and not worried about interrupting your studies. You can apply/try-out for Special Forces.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
              If your ultimate goal is too pursue a medical degree with the assistance of Guard education benefits, then I recommend you enlist for some other MOS and complete your education. Once you are in a better position and not worried about interrupting your studies. You can apply/try-out for Special Forces.

Thanks to all who replied.

I simply wanted to know how higher education opportunities could tie into National Guard SF lifestyle. Multiple articles have highlighted the civilian careers that many SF members bring to the table (some are engineers, lawyers, doctors, law enforcement, physical therapists, etc).

From what I understand..."uninterrupted" education is NOT guaranteed. So how long are avg deployments in the 20th special forces group? How frequent have deployments been in recent years? Site info states 1 deployment per 3 or 4 years...is this accurate? Again, factual information is preferred. Thanks.

Comment

You might go on a 6-12 month deployment to Afghanistan or another hostile country every 3-4 years, but that doesn't count the amount of training that will be required of you between combat deployments. 3-6 month rotations in foreign countries doing what SF does best, training indigenous forces, is not out of the question. Neither are other joint training exercises with other branches and friendly NATO nations which can last several weeks.

How much of your time do you think med school will consume? Wouldn't you want to devote 100% of your energy and focus into something like that? With some degrees it might be OK to take an occasional break between semesters, I imagine med school is not one of them. So I will say it again, my advise to you is to finish med school, then after you are completely done pursue SF. I can tell this is not the advise you want.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                  You might go on a 6-12 month deployment to Afghanistan or another hostile country every 3-4 years, but that doesn't count the amount of training that will be required of you between combat deployments. 3-6 month rotations in foreign countries doing what SF does best, training indigenous forces, is not out of the question. Neither are other joint training exercises with other branches and friendly NATO nations which can last several weeks.

How much of your time do you think med school will consume? Wouldn't you want to devote 100% of your energy and focus into something like that? With some degrees it might be OK to take an occasional break between semesters, I imagine med school is not one of them. So I will say it again, my advise to you is to finish med school, then after you are completely done pursue SF. I can tell this is not the advise you want.
                  How has SOCOM's role changed with the draw down of Afghanistan and the withdrawal of Iraq? This is the conversation I've had with my best friend who is a congressional staffer for my Congressman. With drastic reduction in levels of funding for the Department of Defense being inevitable and the drawdown, the role as well as size of SF is in limbo (as is every branch of the military).

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    How has SOCOM's role changed with the draw down of Afghanistan and the withdrawal of Iraq? This is the conversation I've had with my best friend who is a congressional staffer for my Congressman. With drastic reduction in levels of funding for the Department of Defense being inevitable and the drawdown, the role as well as size of SF is in limbo (as is every branch of the military).
                    I highly doubt the role of Army SF is going to change with reduced budget cuts. Nobody does foreign internal defense and unconventional warfare better then those guys. As for its effect on joint training exercises your guess is as good as mine. Given the global terrorist threat and lessons learned since 9/11 I would say SF has proven thier value beyond the traditional and overt wars. I suspect SF will still be very busy for years to come, even if the rest of us conventional dudes get reduced budgets and scarce deployments.

Comment

Working...
                    X