Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG REP 63 / SF Questions

Good morning,

First time posting and I've already read through the sticky's to avoid the "how do I become SF" question. My information: 26 yo former pro-endurance athlete, still in great physical condition (routinely top 5 in local 5k/10k/ etc.) and on point with my push ups, pull ups, etc. I have a BS and MS degrees. I'm currently happy in my professional life (law-enforcement capacity) but have had a strong desire for a while to serve my country and state. I'm living in Virginia and plan to go NG here. I've already been talking to my recruiter and have completed the "Path to Honor" portal. Taking ASVAB next month. I don't want to go the officer route.

I've always desired to be at the pinnacle of whatever it is I'm doing, and I'm a typical type-A kind of guy. I feel like I can be an asset to any elite-force. I see SF as what I'm looking for. As far as I can tell the closest units to me are in MD and NC. And quite frankly, it seems like NG SF is hard as hell to get. With that being said:

Does anyone have any advice for me?

If SF is out of the question or people are doubtful, what are the chances of getting into other selective schools like Airborne, Air Assault, etc?

What other schools can people reccomend?

Assuming I qualify and they are available, what MOS can I enlist with that give me the "leg-up" with getting into the schools I want?
    Sorry for the long post but the knowledge on this board seems extensive and I hope someone can be of assistance to me.

Re: NG REP 63 / SF Questions

You need to get in touch with a Special Forces recruiter for the NG. Outside of SF the only other MOS that would realistically allow opportunity for additional highspeed training would be 11B. However, some states have low budget or a bad budget plan and don't send many 11B's to highspeed schools. My state is a great example of the later.

If SF is what you really want then go for it right from the start. You may need to travel a lot to get to the closest unit, or the closest unit with available slots.

Comment

That's what I figured. What other elite-schools would I be looking at besides Airborne and Air Assault?

Comment

Who cares. Try to focus on what is important such as getting in contact with a SF recruiter, enlisting with a REP 63 contract, doing well on the SF evaluation and getting selected at SFAS. If you make it all the way through everything and are assigned on an ODA then there will be plenty of opportunities to attend all kinds of cool guy schools.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          You need to get in touch with a Special Forces recruiter for the NG. Outside of SF the only other MOS that would realistically allow opportunity for additional highspeed training would be 11B. However, some states have low budget or a bad budget plan and don't send many 11B's to highspeed schools. My state is a great example of the later.

If SF is what you really want then go for it right from the start. You may need to travel a lot to get to the closest unit, or the closest unit with available slots.
          +1

Who cares. Try to focus on what is important such as getting in contact with a SF recruiter, enlisting with a REP 63 contract, doing well on the SF evaluation and getting selected at SFAS. If you make it all the way through everything and are assigned on an ODA then there will be plenty of opportunities to attend all kinds of cool guy schools.
          +1

Have you looked at the SF webpage on NG.com? Filled out the form "Apply for Special Forces" at the end of the no prior military service path?

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            +1

+1

Have you looked at the SF webpage on NG.com? Filled out the form "Apply for Special Forces" at the end of the no prior military service path?
            I have done both recently. I've been in touch with the recruiter in a nearby state with a SF unit. I have also already done my "path to honor" application with a recruiter in Virginia, but have not taken the ASVAB yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ga12 View Post
              I have done both recently. I've been in touch with the recruiter in a nearby state with a SF unit. I have also already done my "path to honor" application with a recruiter in Virginia, but have not taken the ASVAB yet.
              I recommend that you take the ASVAB and then get back in contact with the NC recruiter. To see about pursuing a REP 63 contract with NC Army National Guard.

Comment

I recommend that you take the ASVAB and then get back in contact with the NC recruiter. To see about pursuing a REP 63 contract with NC Army National Guard.
                That's what I'd like to do. The recruiter there yesterday didn't seem like that was an option. He told me the best bet would be to enlist here as 11b/12b and then after AIT attend one of their try-outs. That conflicts with what you've just said and what I've gathered from a lot of sources online.

After "applying for special forces" on the site, it instructed me via email to complete the path to honor process. However, I've already done that. It seems like I'm stuck at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ga12 View Post
                  That's what I'd like to do. The recruiter there yesterday didn't seem like that was an option. He told me the best bet would be to enlist here as 11b/12b and then after AIT attend one of their try-outs. That conflicts with what you've just said and what I've gathered from a lot of sources online.

After "applying for special forces" on the site, it instructed me via email to complete the path to honor process. However, I've already done that. It seems like I'm stuck at this point.
                  Well, here is the deal. REP 63 all depends on needs of the state/SF unit within that state. If it is not available, then that is the current policy for NC. We (SF) actually prefer currently serving soldiers to apply/try-out. Most non-prior service do not work out well.

I would suggest you follow the recommendations of the recruiter and enlist for a combat arms MOS, ie Infantry, Cav Scout or Combat Engineer. Serve for at least one year after AIT/MOS qualification, then try-out for SF.

Comment

Well, here is the deal. REP 63 all depends on needs of the state/SF unit within that state. If it is not available, then that is the current policy for NC. We (SF) actually prefer currently serving soldiers to apply/try-out. Most non-prior service do not work out well.

I would suggest you follow the recommendations of the recruiter and enlist for a combat arms MOS, ie Infantry, Cav Scout or Combat Engineer. Serve for at least one year after AIT/MOS qualification, then try-out for SF.
                    Noted, will do. Thanks.

Comment

Be carefull when choosing 12B and 19D. If you go for either of those two find out what kind of unit you will be assigned to before you sign on the dotted line. The reason is that some 12B's and 19D's can get assigned to a headquarters company in battalion or a small section in brigade. In those positions you will do very little in terms of your MOS and will get very little leadership experience in the field. If you can get assigned to an engineer company (Sapper) as a 12B then it will be a great place to expand on leadership roles, troop leading procedures, in depth MOS training etc. Same goes for 19D if you get assigned to an actual cavalry line unit. 11B is pretty straight forward, 99% chance you will be placed in a line unit and get that invaluable experience.

Comment

Be carefull when choosing 12B and 19D. If you go for either of those two find out what kind of unit you will be assigned to before you sign on the dotted line. The reason is that some 12B's and 19D's can get assigned to a headquarters company in battalion or a small section in brigade. In those positions you will do very little in terms of your MOS and will get very little leadership experience in the field. If you can get assigned to an engineer company (Sapper) as a 12B then it will be a great place to expand on leadership roles, troop leading procedures, in depth MOS training etc. Same goes for 19D if you get assigned to an actual cavalry line unit. 11B is pretty straight forward, 99% chance you will be placed in a line unit and get that invaluable experience.
                        Noted, thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will enlist as 11B. I have thought about other MOS which may give me some experience for future careers (military intel, signal, etc.) but I think I would be bored and my heart is in the fast-paced, more aggressive jobs and 11B seems like what I need. It also affords me to opportunity to possibly get a shot at airborne and SF. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X