X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick AD SF vs NG SF question?

Here's my story. I am shipping to Infantry OSUT in January, and plan on trying out of SF in either 4 or 6 years. I was considering both the transition over into NG SF or going through the process of getting a conditional release and trying to enlist in AD under an 18x contract. My question is, as a NG SF soldier, how do you find a civilian job that could keep you interested when you're other job is as exciting as SF? In other words, I feel like if I made it through all the training and earned my Green Beret, I would want to be training and working at my SF career full time because I feel as though no other job could really stack up.

Re: Quick AD SF vs NG SF question?

Originally posted by AngelofDeth View Post
    Here's my story. I am shipping to Infantry OSUT in January, and plan on trying out of SF in either 4 or 6 years. I was considering both the transition over into NG SF or going through the process of getting a conditional release and trying to enlist in AD under an 18x contract. My question is, as a NG SF soldier, how do you find a civilian job that could keep you interested when you're other job is as exciting as SF? In other words, I feel like if I made it through all the training and earned my Green Beret, I would want to be training and working at my SF career full time because I feel as though no other job could really stack up.
    I love youth! You making your future plans because of Call of Duty?

Comment

Oh of course, since kids online talk about COD and wanting to go Spec Ops, that must obviously mean I'm one of them! But in all seriousness, it's partly family tradition, but mostly because I want to give everything I possibly can. And besides, if you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.

Comment

Not trying to crush dreams I just live in the world of reality. Why would you join the Guard if your goal is AD 18X?

Comment

My goal isn't AD 18X, it's SF in general. The question was posed to help me decide which would be better down the line.

Comment

My suggestion is to just focus on your current contract and let life catch up with you.

Comment

For clarification, is your question asking about how to get an exciting civilian job? Or are you looking for more information about SF and how that can apply to a civilian job? Frankly, if you are asking what civilian job is as exciting, that's a highly subjective topic.

Comment

I was looking for me information about SF and also how that could apply to a civilian job.

Comment

I was looking for me information about SF and also how that could apply to a civilian job.
                  Gotcha. There's an SF guru on here (SF Hunter) that can answer specific questions about SF, if you haven't found your answer on the other SF threads. Otherwise, take a look at the Special Forces section on the National Guard website. It's not only pretty awesome to browse through, it has a lot of good information.

Comment

NG SF soldiers have every kind of imaginable civilian jobs/careers. Everything from self employed businessman, law enforcement (local, state and federal) to NASA mission programmers.
                    If you are looking for something specific that SF training can carry over too. There are very few outside of security work and law enforcement, except for 18D and 18E. 18D=SF Medics are NREMT-P and can easily complete a PA program. 18E=SF Commo Sgt, receives various forms of communications and IT training.

If you are looking to do SF full-time, then pursue active duty Army from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                      NG SF soldiers have every kind of imaginable civilian jobs/careers. Everything from self employed businessman, law enforcement (local, state and federal) to NASA mission programmers.
                      If you are looking for something specific that SF training can carry over too. There are very few outside of security work and law enforcement, except for 18D and 18E. 18D=SF Medics are NREMT-P and can easily complete a PA program. 18E=SF Commo Sgt, receives various forms of communications and IT training.

If you are looking to do SF full-time, then pursue active duty Army from day one.
                      Okay, well that answers my question. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X