Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently retired 18 Series guy still wants to serve part-time. What are my options if any? HELP!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently retired 18 Series guy still wants to serve part-time. What are my options if any? HELP!

I just recently retired with 20 years active time. 6 years Ranger Regt., 14 in SF. I want to continue to serve but not full time.
    I started looking into this a couple of years before my 20 but never got a straight answer on some of the bigger questions.
    I'm not looking to collect retirement and serve part-time. I understand I would give up retirement pay if I was able to come back in.
    I just want to know if this is possible? And why does the Army make this so hard? Don't answer that second one.

Re: Recently retired 18 Series guy still wants to serve part-time. What are my options if any? HELP!

No disrespect to anyone who answers my question or tries to help but it's not about the money. I never did this in the first place for money. Yes I will give up retirement pay if I was able to come back in but I would still be able to do other things and earn retirement points to come out with I would think a higher rank and more higher percentage amount of that pay.
    All I want to know is is this possible and how to go about doing it.

Comment

Re: Recently retired 18 Series guy still wants to serve part-time. What are my options if any? HELP!

Sir

What do you know about the RE code on the DD 214? Mine says 4R and apparently that is an issue. It needs to be a 1 in order to come back in.

Comment

An issue indeed. Here's some text you may be familiar with.

The RE-4 code is used by most (but not all) branches of the armed forces to designate that the individual is absolutely barred from reenlistment.
        RE-4 - Individuals separated from last period of service with a nonwaiverable disqualification (refer to AR 601-280). Ineligible for enlistment except as provided for in paragraphs 2-7c and 2-7d. (See waiverable moral and administrative disqualifications.) Disqualilication is nonwaivable.

RE-4A - Individuals who did not meet basic eligibility citizenship requirement of Chapter 2, AR 601-280, at time of last separation fram active duty. Ineligible for enlistment unless requirements of table 2-1 can be met. Citizenship requirements are nonwaiverable. Applicable to EM who fail to meet cotizenship requirements.

RE-4R - Individuals retiring after 20 or more years active Federal service (title 10, U.S. Code 3914 or 3917) Ineligible for enlistment.
        Last edited by SteveLord; September 29th, 2012, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFRanger View Post
          What do you know about the RE code on the DD 214? Mine says 4R and apparently that is an issue. It needs to be a 1 in order to come back in.
          Yes, that is indeed an issue. Soldiers with RE code 4R are not eligible for reenlistment. You still have many other ways to contribute to society, e.g., Red Cross, Civil Air Patrol, State Defense Force.

Comment

What I don't understand is if I would have stayed in I'm good (which I didn't want to do), I can get called up if needed, but I can't do part-time.
            Am I the only one that sees something flawed in that?

Comment

Originally posted by SFRanger View Post
              I just recently retired with 20 years active time. 6 years Ranger Regt., 14 in SF. I want to continue to serve but not full time.
              I started looking into this a couple of years before my 20 but never got a straight answer on some of the bigger questions.
              I'm not looking to collect retirement and serve part-time. I understand I would give up retirement pay if I was able to come back in.
              I just want to know if this is possible? And why does the Army make this so hard? Don't answer that second one.
              Unfortunately, you will never be able to re-enter service after voluntary retirement from active federal service (AFS). By regulations, it is one of the Nonwaivable disqualifying separations or discharges.

AR 601-210, Chap. 4-23
              The following are nonwaivable separations and or discharges:
              i. Retirement after 20 years of active Federal Service.

Thank you for your long and dedicated service to the Regiment, brother.
              Best of luck in your future endeavors.
              Last edited by SF Hunter; August 27th, 2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X