X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Old?

I am joining the National Guard and have most of the leg work done. The only thing I have left to do is to go through MEPS, and I am scheduled to go in a couple weeks. My dream has always been to serve in a high-adrenaline capacity, like Infantry. (I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie) My recruiter has worked incredibly hard with me and it looks like he might be able to get me an 11A slot in an Infantry unit (of course that ultimately depends upon my performance through BCT and then OCS). So, if everything went to plan, I would be spending the next year or so with BCT, OCS, Airborne, Ranger School, BOLC-B and the whole nine yards. I'm probably leaving something out but that's ok because I swear I'm coming to a point. I am really excited about this opportunity because the unit that I am shooting for is a unit that is tasked with providing support for SF teams. My question is this, I am 26 y/o right now and if I do all this first and then spend a few years with that unit to gain experience in the SF world, would my window of opportunity to be SF be closed? I know that age cutoff is 35 and as an officer I would have to hold the rank of at least 1LT before I could even try-out for SF, but I'm just worried about being 30+ at the start because I know the process to get through is long and incredibly difficult.

Some things to know about me, I'm highly motivated and in very good shape. Not SF shape, but I'm working on it. I have wanted this more than anything my whole life and I am willing to do all that is necessary to achieve my dream. However, my head is not in the clouds and I understand my body may not feel the same at 30 that it feels right now. Is there anyone who has been in my shoes or knows anybody who has been?

By the way, I apologize for the outrageous length of this post!!!

Re: Too Old?

Congrats on joining first and foremost. The age cut-off you mentioned is for non-prior service. If you are going the OCS route, there is no age cut-off.

As far as your concerns about being in your 30's, remember age is just a number (unless you believe otherwise). I'm in better shape in my mid-30's than I was in my 20's. I may feel some aches and pains that I didn't back then, but I also have the maturity to know how to take care of myself that I didn't back then. I know someone in the Q as we speak that is in language phase with a another soldier from his SFAS class that is 50. I say go for it and give it 100%! Good luck and good health!
    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Re: Too Old?

Originally posted by livewyre View Post
      I am joining the National Guard and have most of the leg work done. The only thing I have left to do is to go through MEPS, and I am scheduled to go in a couple weeks. My dream has always been to serve in a high-adrenaline capacity, like Infantry. (I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie) My recruiter has worked incredibly hard with me and it looks like he might be able to get me an 11A slot in an Infantry unit (of course that ultimately depends upon my performance through BCT and then OCS). So, if everything went to plan, I would be spending the next year or so with BCT, OCS, Airborne, Ranger School, BOLC-B and the whole nine yards. I'm probably leaving something out but that's ok because I swear I'm coming to a point. I am really excited about this opportunity because the unit that I am shooting for is a unit that is tasked with providing support for SF teams. My question is this, I am 26 y/o right now and if I do all this first and then spend a few years with that unit to gain experience in the SF world, would my window of opportunity to be SF be closed? I know that age cutoff is 35 and as an officer I would have to hold the rank of at least 1LT before I could even try-out for SF, but I'm just worried about being 30+ at the start because I know the process to get through is long and incredibly difficult.

Some things to know about me, I'm highly motivated and in very good shape. Not SF shape, but I'm working on it. I have wanted this more than anything my whole life and I am willing to do all that is necessary to achieve my dream. However, my head is not in the clouds and I understand my body may not feel the same at 30 that it feels right now. Is there anyone who has been in my shoes or knows anybody who has been?

By the way, I apologize for the outrageous length of this post!!!
      First of all I would like to say, like most of the current officers on these forums, good luck with getting the opportunity to attend Airborne and Ranger School right after BOLC-B, your hope of Infantry BOLC (IBOLC). About the only way you are guaranteed to attend Airborne school is if you are being assigned to an Airborne unit.

But don't let me damper your goals. It is a worthy path to hope for and a good one as an officer if your plans are to eventually apply for Special Forces. SF is mostly looking for combat arms branch officers with experience and certain qualifications. such as Ranger School and or Airborne.

As for the unit tasked with providing support. The only units that are directly attached or tasked with supporting NG SF, are Military Intelligence Detachments. Now, sometimes other types of units or elements may work along side an SF unit during certain deployments but they are not a permanent support asset.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

SF Hunter

Comment

Working...
      X