Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please explain the difference?

First time poster so thanks in advance for any help. What is the advantage to going NG SF as opposed to AD SF? Seems like NG SF is 2 years of training and a guarenteed deployment as well as several people stating that you will essentially be "active duty". If this is the case, then why would one go the NG route instead of just going active? Thank you for any answers. Just trying to determine what is best for me.

Re: Can someone please explain the difference?

Originally posted by strongT View Post
    First time poster so thanks in advance for any help. What is the advantage to going NG SF as opposed to AD SF? Seems like NG SF is 2 years of training and a guarenteed deployment as well as several people stating that you will essentially be "active duty". If this is the case, then why would one go the NG route instead of just going active? Thank you for any answers. Just trying to determine what is best for me.
    The main differences between the Army National Guard Special Forces (Guard SF) and Active Duty (full-time) Special Forces are their operational tempos (OPTEMPO). They attend the same assessment and selection course (SFAS) and qualification course (SFQC) and must maintain the same qualifications and certifications. But, Guard SF conducts part-time training, one weekend (3-4 day) per month and one annual training period (2-4 weeks) up to a 90 days per year between major deployments.

So Guard SF, is not necessarily full time. You will still need to have other employment.

Guard SF gives you the opportunity to still pursue a civilian career and family life, while also serving with the Special Operations Community.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; October 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Only addition I could think of is the maximum age for enlistment/contract. AD cutoff is 30 years old for signing an 18X contract vs. 35 for NG REP-63.

Comment

Originally posted by TB1077 View Post
        Only addition I could think of is the maximum age for enlistment/contract. AD cutoff is 30 years old for signing an 18X contract vs. 35 for NG REP-63.
        Sorry about that. Your statement is correct.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Is it safe to say that NG SF and AD SF Operational Tempo is same for the first 3 years then? Then after all the training it slows down?

Comment

(Disclaimer- This is not first hand information, but it was gathered by talking to many current SF soldiers from NG in my research prior to enlisting.) I have heard that you can be as busy as you would like to be. There are plenty of opportunities to either attend schools (if the budget is there) or to volunteer to stay very active (deployments, JCETs, etc.). I have also heard that there is the ability to keep a much slower OPTEMPO if that is what you are looking for.

As SF Hunter mentioned, the pipeline is the same (from OSUT to completion of the Q) for AD 18X contracts or NG REP-63 contracts. So dependant upon the MOS you are assigned, the first 1 1/2 years+ are the same regardless of AD or NG.

I would suggest you PM SF Hunter and talk to him in regards to which route might be best for you if you are not sure. If you have any questions for someone that recently enlisted with a REP-63 contract, feel free to PM me.

Comment

another difference, and SF Hunter can correct me if i'm wrong, in NG you have the choice to pick your SF unit(a local one close to where you live) whereas AD will place you in a unit depending on the needs of the army.

Comment

Originally posted by TB1077 View Post
                (Disclaimer- This is not first hand information, but it was gathered by talking to many current SF soldiers from NG in my research prior to enlisting.) I have heard that you can be as busy as you would like to be. There are plenty of opportunities to either attend schools (if the budget is there) or to volunteer to stay very active (deployments, JCETs, etc.). I have also heard that there is the ability to keep a much slower OPTEMPO if that is what you are looking for.

As SF Hunter mentioned, the pipeline is the same (from OSUT to completion of the Q) for AD 18X contracts or NG REP-63 contracts. So dependant upon the MOS you are assigned, the first 1 1/2 years+ are the same regardless of AD or NG.

I would suggest you PM SF Hunter and talk to him in regards to which route might be best for you if you are not sure. If you have any questions for someone that recently enlisted with a REP-63 contract, feel free to PM me.
                Originally posted by Loyal0ne81 View Post
                another difference, and SF Hunter can correct me if i'm wrong, in NG you have the choice to pick your SF unit(a local one close to where you live) whereas AD will place you in a unit depending on the needs of the army.
                Both of these statements are accurate. Couldn't have said it much better.

If you have any other questions or you want to get the ball rolling, call and ask to speak with the SF operator at 1-800-464-8273 or email: special_forces@nationalguard.com
                Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I know this thread is old but..What is the average deployment tempo for 20th group? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by apax1988 View Post
                    I know this thread is old but..What is the average deployment tempo for 20th group? Thanks
                    Deployment tempo is not going to be discussed on these forums.

Comment

rgr pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by apax1988 View Post
                        rgr pm sent
                        PM replied

Comment

Working...
                        X