X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service questions

I am a prior service 11b considering joining the guard with the Intent of going into a NG special forces unit. First, a little about me; I was infantry for about 4years, ending in 2008 with a medical discharge. My reclassification code allows me to rejoin with a waiver, which I expect will not be difficult, as I feel strongly that I have responded well to therapy and am in good shape. I have several questions. First, will a prior medical discharge limit my shot at SF? Also, being a Louisiana native, I would like to live here still while not on duty. There are a few SF units nearby (jackson MS , san antonio TX) which I could realistically commute to. Could I be in one of these units and still live in LA? Thanks in advance for any knowledge / advice you can give me. Also, would I be disqualified for receiving laser eye surgery prior to SFAS? I haven't yet, but would very much like to. I am 20/200 correctable to 20/18 and no co
    lor blindness.

Re: prior service questions

Physical Profile Serial System requirements for SF regarding current vision is distant visual acuity correctable to not worse than 20/40 and 20/70, or 20/30 and 20/100, or 20/20 and 20/400. Lasek and PRK surgery (but not the older Radial Keratotomy) can meet enlistment standards if certain requirements are met including a 6 month wait since the surgery.

Also, your home of record address can be pretty much anywhere. Living in a different state is not a disqualifier.

Comment

Re: prior service questions

Originally posted by Bayou Critter View Post
      I am a prior service 11b considering joining the guard with the Intent of going into a NG special forces unit. First, a little about me; I was infantry for about 4years, ending in 2008 with a medical discharge. My reclassification code allows me to rejoin with a waiver, which I expect will not be difficult, as I feel strongly that I have responded well to therapy and am in good shape. I have several questions. First, will a prior medical discharge limit my shot at SF? Also, being a Louisiana native, I would like to live here still while not on duty. There are a few SF units nearby (jackson MS , san antonio TX) which I could realistically commute to. Could I be in one of these units and still live in LA? Thanks in advance for any knowledge / advice you can give me. Also, would I be disqualified for receiving laser eye surgery prior to SFAS? I haven't yet, but would very much like to. I am 20/200 correctable to 20/18 and no co
      lor blindness.
      Most of your eligibility is going to depend on the reason for your medical discharge and whether the specific state will process a medical waiver.

I do not recommend getting LASeK or PRK prior to applying for enlistment or SFAS. It can be one more medical hurdle. There are opportunities to get PRK while attending the SFQC at Ft. Bragg.

Just like Mongoose772 stated: State residency is not required.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; August 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X