X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physicians with Special Forces/Rangers

Thank you for all of the information posted in this forum.

I am a physician considering joining the Army Reserve or National Guard as a direct commission. I have no prior military service.

I am curious to what extent physicians serving with a Special Forces Unit or the Ranger Regiment typically go through some of the military training of these groups (Q course, RASP 2, etc). I think it might be useful to have some training, though I imagine it would be difficult to go through these courses at an older age and with no infantry background.

Would anyone have knowledge or experience in this area?

Thank you.

Re: Physicians with Special Forces/Rangers

Originally posted by dcdoc View Post

I am a physician considering joining the Army Reserve or National Guard as a direct commission. I have no prior military service.

I am curious to what extent physicians serving with a Special Forces Unit or the Ranger Regiment typically go through some of the military training of these groups (Q course, RASP 2, etc). I think it might be useful to have some training, though I imagine it would be difficult to go through these courses at an older age and with no infantry background.

Thank you.
    There's a good chance this could be quite difficult for a direct commission non prior service.

Comment

extent physicians serving with a Special Forces Unit or the Ranger Regiment typically go through some of the military training of these groups (Q course, RASP 2, etc).
      First, if you are asking about Ranger Regiment (which is strictly active duty) on a National Guard forum. Then you are in the wrong place.

Second, The likelihood of you getting Direct Commission in the Army Medical Department (AMEDD) and then directly assigned to Special Forces is slim to none. Nor Ranger Regiment for that matter. Special Forces surgeon positions are few and far between and it practically takes the current one dying and willing it to the next guy.

There are surgeon positions in Special Forces (one slot per Group HQs and Bn HQs), but they do not go through any kind of special operations training such as SFAS or the Q course. Usually the only military school that a medical doctor assigned to SF will receive is Airborne School and any medical training to help them further their medical skills.

If you want to apply for Special Forces then I suggest you come in as enlisted or pursue commissioning through OCS, then apply for SF once you meet the minimum requirements as an officer.

Just FYI: Direct Commissioned officers in specialty branches such as AMEDD, JAG or Chaplain are usually not eligible to try-out for Special Forces (ie SFAS) due to not being released from their current specialty branch to pursue SF.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; February 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

That's very helpful information, thank you very much.

Comment

Doc,

While it is admirable that you want to serve in some type of "Hooah" capacity, in all honesty there is a pressing need for quality physicians in our ranks and you would be more than doing your part in preserving the fighting strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            There's a good chance this could be quite difficult for a direct commission non prior service.
            If he's a properly qualified physician, then direct commission as a physician is entirely reasonable. It appears his goal is to serve as a physician in the Army, not a rifle platoon leader.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              If he's a properly qualified physician, then direct commission as a physician is entirely reasonable. It appears his goal is to serve as a physician in the Army, not a rifle platoon leader.
              I should have been more specific. I understand that if he's a properly qualified physician, a DC is definitely appropriate. I was referring to the bolded paragraph below. Regardless, your last point still stands.

Thank you.
              It's not even a matter of having an infantry background, but if you're not prior service it's a matter of having any background.
              Last edited by Polo08816; July 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X