X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming JAG after being diagnosed with PTSD

Okay, as the title states, I was diagnosed with PTSD; that was in 2008. Right now, I only have my associate of arts degree. I am currently working on a BA in Political Science/Criminal Justice. I plan on obtaining a JD by 2017/18.

I want to know, what is the likelihood that I could contract as a JAG officer after law school? I was awarded an Honorable Discharge, with a RE code of 3. I assume that I would have to display a stead mental level over the past 'X' number of years, and get all of my disability waived. Also, I know I would need to be off of anti-depressants/mood stabilizers for about 2 years.

I love and miss being in the Army, but I would never go back in as an enlisted soldier again (No offense to those that are and enjoy it, I just know it was not for me, because I was too inquizitive to follow orders without thinking about alternative methods, and such).

What I am asking, as Barney-style as I can make it would be: Given I have a record of PTSD, would becoming JAG even be a possibility? Or is that just a pipe-dream?

Thank you in response,
    Christopher Seitler

Re: Becoming JAG after being diagnosed with PTSD

Law school is one of the stepping stones I must cross in order to obtain my ultimate goal of being a judge. In Ohio, you must be a practicing lawyer for 7 years before you can even be considered to become a judge. If JAG does not pan out, I am not in any worse shape, because it is only something that I am looking to add onto what I already plan to do.

That is what I am thinking about, as well. I know when I last looked into reenlisting (before I got wise and went back to school) there was a policy established that prevented anyone that even had PTSD mentioned in their medical history from entering service, regardless of whether they were currently cleared or not. Now, I hear more and more about people with both PTSD and TBI being allowed to serve, but most of the time they are not given discharges beforehand.

With any luck, the politicians writing the regulations will realize that, even though it is permanent per se, a strong-willed person can achieve a better state of mental balance, even more so sometimes, than those that do not have PTSD (though I feel insomnia may always linger in me, after hearing stories from Vietnam Veterans).

Thank you for your timely response, by the way.

If anyone else has any information, that would also be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RyCass; January 29th, 2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: Banned member comments

Comment

I should have clarified that; no, I am not retired. My disability is awarded through the VA (50% for PTSD, 10% for tinnitus), though it should have been through med-board. I found out about that little screw-up two years AFTER I was discharged. The people that gave me my original diagnosis misdiagnosed me with clinical depression, when in fact, it was actually severe PTSD compounded by environmental factors. (Got to love screw ups that benefit the Army, ha ha ha)
      Last edited by RyCass; January 29th, 2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: Banned members comments

Comment

The legal market stinks now and is expected to be bad for the foreseeable future. If you love law, then go for it, but do NOT overspend on your education. As for being a Judge, it is 6 years of practice in Ohio (7 might be for the Supreme Court), but you would be foolish to try to be a Judge before 10 years of extension litigation practice. Good Luck.
        Last edited by RyCass; January 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry if this conversation is a little disjointed due to the recent deletions. OP, if you need any clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure the above posters would be more than happy to do so.

Thanks!

Comment

Who deleted stuff? I noticed some of the posts above did get deleted, which is frustrating..., but I think I got the answer I was begrudgingly expecting. I had a good idea of what I should expect, being that I have been in already, but I just wanted an updated perspective on my thoughts.

To those that replied, thank you all.
            Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by CLSeitler View Post
              Who deleted stuff? I noticed some of the posts above did get deleted, which is frustrating..., but I think I got the answer I was begrudgingly expecting. I had a good idea of what I should expect, being that I have been in already, but I just wanted an updated perspective on my thoughts.

To those that replied, thank you all.
              Stay safe everyone.
              I was the one that deleted comments from a banned user. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Comment

I should have clarified that; no, I am not retired. My disability is awarded through the VA (50% for PTSD, 10% for tinnitus), though it should have been through med-board. I found out about that little screw-up two years AFTER I was discharged. The people that gave me my original diagnosis misdiagnosed me with clinical depression, when in fact, it was actually severe PTSD compounded by environmental factors. (Got to love screw ups that benefit the Army, ha ha ha)
                The disability rating itself will be a problem, since you can't serve with a greater than 30% rating. That said, the underlying conditions that give you that rating may prove themselves as disqualifiers.

Comment

Okay, as the title states, I was diagnosed with PTSD; that was in 2008. Right now, I only have my associate of arts degree. I am currently working on a BA in Political Science/Criminal Justice. I plan on obtaining a JD by 2017/18.

I want to know, what is the likelihood that I could contract as a JAG officer after law school? I was awarded an Honorable Discharge, with a RE code of 3. I assume that I would have to display a stead mental level over the past 'X' number of years, and get all of my disability waived. Also, I know I would need to be off of anti-depressants/mood stabilizers for about 2 years.

I love and miss being in the Army, but I would never go back in as an enlisted soldier again (No offense to those that are and enjoy it, I just know it was not for me, because I was too inquizitive to follow orders without thinking about alternative methods, and such).

What I am asking, as Barney-style as I can make it would be: Given I have a record of PTSD, would becoming JAG even be a possibility? Or is that just a pipe-dream?

Thank you in response,
                  Christopher Seitler
                  Just be incredibly wary of the legal field right now. Times are rough; times are ESPECIALLY rough in the legal sector.

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArt...20130029130627

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                    The disability rating itself will be a problem, since you can't serve with a greater than 30% rating. That said, the underlying conditions that give you that rating may prove themselves as disqualifiers.
                    I believe you are confusing the va rating with a rating determined by a PEB. VA ratings, of any kind are not disqualifier. A 30% rating from a PEB however is, because then you are drawing a disability reitrement from the military. Many Soldiers serve with VA ratings, even ratings of upwards to 100%.

Comment

Working...
                    X