X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAG after 50?

I'm 51 and recently got laid off from my legal job. I've been a lawyer 20 years and trying to decide if the Guard JAG is a good fit. How do you know if you will have a JAG position in your home state? I'm in Oklahoma and when I tried to view the web site for the Okla. NG JAG program, it was a broken link. Thanks!

Re: JAG after 50?

Originally posted by oklawyer View Post
    I'm 51 and recently got laid off from my legal job. I've been a lawyer 20 years and trying to decide if the Guard JAG is a good fit. How do you know if you will have a JAG position in your home state? I'm in Oklahoma and when I tried to view the web site for the Okla. NG JAG program, it was a broken link. Thanks!
    Unless you have prior military service, you are not going to meet the age limit. Not to mention the Guard is a part time job, not full time.

Comment

Thanks. I have a part-time job as a law professor. Guess that'll have to do for now. By the way, I could pass the physical.
      Last edited by oklawyer; January 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

oklawyer: Unless you have prior commissioned service, you are not eligible. Thank you for your interest.

Comment

There are age waivers for exceptional candidates. There was an over-50 officer in my JAOBC class with no prior service. He had been the attorney for the City of New York or something like that, and was in prime physical shape. The extremely highly-placed political connections and the fact that he was an outstanding lawyer allowed him to get the waiver. Unless you have the governor of your state in your weekly bridge club, don't count on that waiver.

Comment

Working...
          X