X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books to read for new JAGS and/or new officers in gerneral

I have yet to receive the official packet to swear in but I am listed on the JAG website as being accepted by the October Boards for the Army Guard. Can any of you recommend any books to read to get as much of a leg up as possible before I start to drill? Something along the lines of must reads for new officers in general, new JAGS in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Books to read for new JAGS and/or new officers in gerneral

The Army Officers guide...and the AR and FM for JAG.....

You bought your uniforms yet?
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Chaplin. No I have not purchased any uniforms yet. Though I make weight now, I want to loose 10 lbs before the uniforms are bought. Though I guess I could get my silver dollars now.

Comment

LOL...it doesn't matter....you have three sizes small medium and large....then shorts and longs....you only have a few options....do you think this is the GAP or AE?

Yes. It's up to you how much you want to spend on the dollar...I used a silver eagle. 40-60 dollars.

You can get a military star card and get 15% off your first purchase, of uniforms at clothing and sales. If you want to save money go to a surplus store.

I have a extra copy of the Army Officers guide on Amazon......it's like selling for 4 bucks a I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          it's like selling for 4 bucks a I think.
          That is a good price. I purchased mine for 20.

OP, you will go through an indoctrination that will get you accustomed to Army/military life.

Comment

There's a lot to buy...a belt. Boots. Under Shirt. Name Tapes. Caps. Rank. An American Flag. Unit Patch. US Army Patch. Get your rank sown onto your cap. Pins will tear that head up. Boot Blousers. A good new uniform looks awesome....don't dry it on high heat.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              That is a good price. I purchased mine for 20.

OP, you will go through an indoctrination that will get you accustomed to Army/military life.
              I can ship it tomorrow!!!! I ended up with two copies.....as ParalegalNCO1 has noted it's not read frequently. Low usage.

Comment

Hoping for a Brooks Brothers cut, but I could settle for AE or GAP. I am hoping that with the books you recommended I will lesson the dumb questions (like my uniform assumption above) I will be asking in the future.

Was thinking of using late 1800s Morgan silver dollars and giving out two. If I need to hand out more, I will have to rethink that option.

fmcitysliker: First, I glad you made it back safely. Your posts have been a good source of information and amusement. As for the indoctrination, is that separate from drill or my Ft. Lee phase of training or what happens during those times?

Comment

Thank you BMAC. The people that I talked to about it were AMEDD (Medical direct commission) folks who told me they went to a two-week familiarization program and learned to stand at attention, etc. They are AD so I do not know how it will work out in your case.

Comment

Bmac: You need one silver dollar. You give it to the first enlisted person who salutes you. Talk to your full-time JA in your state, they'll tell you all you need to know and will be happy to do it. You'll go to Ft. Lee for about 2 weeks. You'll pick up your dress uniforms and things there. You'll also learn some of the basics and take your first PT test. You'll then move onto Charlottesville, VA for the 10 week JAOBC course. It is held 3 times a year.

Good luck

MAJ Hineman

Comment

Maj, Hineman thanks for the information. I was just looking at JAGCnet correctly, the Army made some significant changes to training to begin this July (no Ft. Lee phase, 1 week less at Ft. Benning, and Benning before Charlottesville). I am not sure the reason for the changes, maybe its part of the upcoming budget cuts to the military.

Comment

Working...
                      X