X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARNG JAG to AD JAG Question

I had originally emailed LTC Ritchie and he asked me to post it here.

I know there are a great number of threads dealing with ARNG to AD and that it is considerably difficult nowadays. But I wasn't able to find a thread specifically devoted to the issue of an ARNG JAG moving to AD JAG.

I am currently a licensed, practicing attorney with multiple sate licenses (two currently, hopefully three). I have no prior service in the Armed Forces.

I am scheduled to join the TN ARNG shortly after the New Year as a JAG Officer or at least go through MEPS and enlist with my paperwork to obtain a commission as a JAG. I really would like to go in right away so I'm excited about that. Assuming I enjoy the experiences, etc. there is a good chance I'll want to transfer to AD at some point in 2013. My question is, how difficult for a ARNG JAG officer will it be to make this transition?

My recruiter and a friend who was an officer (Not JAG) in the PA Guard and is now in the AR both said it isn't difficult, however after reading the various threads on here it looks virtually impossible. So which is it? Thank you all in advance, and special thanks to Col. Ritchie for getting back to me.

Re: ARNG JAG to AD JAG Question

Originally posted by Jdrogersattorney View Post
    I had originally emailed LTC Ritchie and he asked me to post it here.

I know there are a great number of threads dealing with ARNG to AD and that it is considerably difficult nowadays. But I wasn't able to find a thread specifically devoted to the issue of an ARNG JAG moving to AD JAG.

I am currently a licensed, practicing attorney with multiple sate licenses (two currently, hopefully three). I have no prior service in the Armed Forces.

I am scheduled to join the TN ARNG shortly after the New Year as a JAG Officer or at least go through MEPS and enlist with my paperwork to obtain a commission as a JAG. I really would like to go in right away so I'm excited about that. Assuming I enjoy the experiences, etc. there is a good chance I'll want to transfer to AD at some point in 2013. My question is, how difficult for a ARNG JAG officer will it be to make this transition?

My recruiter and a friend who was an officer (Not JAG) in the PA Guard and is now in the AR both said it isn't difficult, however after reading the various threads on here it looks virtually impossible. So which is it? Thank you all in advance, and special thanks to Col. Ritchie for getting back to me.
    Ask these people...only they will know.

Https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/8525769...ocument&noly=1

Comment

Thank you Staff Sergeant I appreciate it.

Comment

I you want to serve in the active component, then I recommend going straight there. Spending a few months in the Guard will only burn more time and effort for little benefit.

Comment

Exactly. I left ARNG and processed for RA back in 2003 when it was a different time. I been Regular Army for 9 years already. I posted this recent Army Times article for the call to active duty in which JAG was not sought/eligible.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/1...r-army-112012/

Warrant officers in the National Guard and Army Reserve now have a shot at Regular Army career opportunities.
          Officers and warrant officers in the Guard and Reserve can join the Regular Army through the fiscal 2013 Call to Active Duty program.
          GO REGULAR ARMY

To find out how to apply and for more details, go to MilPer Message 12-348, dated Nov. 1.

In a change from the fiscal 2012 program, certain categories of warrant officers are eligible to apply for transfer to the Regular Army.

Targeted officers include captains and majors with knowledge, skills and/or experience in science, technology, engineering or math.
          Those who arenít eligible for the program include officers serving in the Army Medical Department, Chaplaincy and the Judge Advocate General Corps.

The point is that specialized fields are limited and harder to transfer but not impossible. Like Paralegal stated; you have to network from within your community.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X