Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending Law School while an ARNG CO.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am posting this inquiry after reading the recent post regarding an aspiring 09S/lawyer and his desire to go JAG. Forgive me if this thread seems related, but after reading that post in detail, I could not find an answer to my questions.

Firstly, thanks to all of you who have offered me advice in the past, it has been invaluable, now to my questions..

I am currently an 09S enlistee, who will be attending BCT in Jan,** 2013 (Op-Sec).

Recently, I became aware that I stand a good chance of being selected for admission to a Top-14 Law School (All of which are outside my current state), with a prospective enrollment period of Fall 2014. This presents an issue, if I were to take part in the Traditional OCS, I would just be commissioned before having to move to another state to attend Law School.

The obvious conflict here is that I would still be expected to attend BOLC in whichever specialty the ARNG assigns me (I assume), which would take me away from Law School for a substantial amount of time.

My question then is as follows, would it be feasible to coordinate with the FLARNG so that I may attend AOCS or Federal OCS, then my BOLC between now and Fall 2014 ? I am confident that my monthly drills would not affect my standing in Law School, but it would be hard to break away for 4+ months to attend job training.

Conversely, would it be feasible to inter-state transfer right after commissioning 2LT and putting off my BOLC training until after graduation from Law School ? Will this Inter-State transfer present complications since I will be putting in for it directly after commissioning ?

I have attempted to contact my state OSM for several days now to no avail, I was going to run these concerns past him, but seeing as I cannot reach him, I am coming to you.

I will be eagerly awaiting your responses, thank you very much for your time.

V/R
    Christopher S. Bryant, SPC, FLARNG.

Re: Attending Law School while an ARNG CO.

Thats a bit of a bind but if you could do AOCS or Federal OCS then it could workout like you stated. Your state OSM might be on leave seeing as how it is the holiday season. Keep trying. Do you have any other contact number for him or his office?

Comment

SSG,

Thank you for the prompt response. I have only contacted him at the number listed on the FLARNG website and I have reached him at that number before.

Do you think that FL will be hesitant to let me go as I will have just completed training ? Will the fact that I am going to a top Law School affect their decision making process (I.E. I may be of greater value to the ARNG with an Ivy League Law Education, I know there are some incentives to AD Officers to attend graduate school with retention/personal development as the forethought)

What might be some alternatives to my thoughts, am I reaching with this ?

V/R
      CSB.

Comment

When it comes to officer stuff I'm really out of my zone. There are a few very knowledgeable officers on this board who I'm sure will chime in and help.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
          When it comes to officer stuff I'm really out of my zone. There are a few very knowledgeable officers on this board who I'm sure will chime in and help.
          Thank you very much for the reply.

Comment

You'll go to BOLC within 12 months of commissioning, and you will have limited influence on those dates.

I would recommend that you consider staying enlisted in a traditional capacity through law school to avoid this conflict. At that point, then you could attend OCS, or become a JAG officer.

Comment

You'll go to BOLC within 12 months of commissioning, and you will have limited influence on those dates.

I would recommend that you consider staying enlisted in a traditional capacity through law school to avoid this conflict. At that point, then you could attend OCS, or become a JAG officer.

Comment

Originally posted by CSBryant View Post
                Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am posting this inquiry after reading the recent post regarding an aspiring 09S/lawyer and his desire to go JAG. Forgive me if this thread seems related, but after reading that post in detail, I could not find an answer to my questions.

Firstly, thanks to all of you who have offered me advice in the past, it has been invaluable, now to my questions..

I am currently an 09S enlistee, who will be attending BCT in Jan,** 2013 (Op-Sec).

Recently, I became aware that I stand a good chance of being selected for admission to a Top-14 Law School (All of which are outside my current state), with a prospective enrollment period of Fall 2014. This presents an issue, if I were to take part in the Traditional OCS, I would just be commissioned before having to move to another state to attend Law School.

The obvious conflict here is that I would still be expected to attend BOLC in whichever specialty the ARNG assigns me (I assume), which would take me away from Law School for a substantial amount of time.

My question then is as follows, would it be feasible to coordinate with the FLARNG so that I may attend AOCS or Federal OCS, then my BOLC between now and Fall 2014 ? I am confident that my monthly drills would not affect my standing in Law School, but it would be hard to break away for 4+ months to attend job training.

Conversely, would it be feasible to inter-state transfer right after commissioning 2LT and putting off my BOLC training until after graduation from Law School ? Will this Inter-State transfer present complications since I will be putting in for it directly after commissioning ?

I have attempted to contact my state OSM for several days now to no avail, I was going to run these concerns past him, but seeing as I cannot reach him, I am coming to you.

V/R
                First off, congrats on being able to be a potential candidate for a T14 law school.

This is the worst case scenario that I see. You complete Traditional OCS, commission in September 2014, and start the IST process immediately. You continue your plans of attending law school and secure a BOLC date during the summer vacation. Obviously, I don't know the time frame you're working with. You may miss a week or two here and there for a BOLC that occurs relatively frequently such as IBOLC. I went between a Spring and Fall semester.

The best case scenario is that you are able to attend AOCS or FOCS and you can be done with the entire process before attending law school.

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post

My understanding is that as long as you complete BOLC before 18 months TIG, it won't delay your promotion to 1LT. I seemed to have a significant amount of influence in choosing dates for IBOLC. I sat down with my TNCO and we looked at the slots available per class and BN put in the ATTRS reservation.

However, your guidance still stands. It's still "needs of the Army."

Comment

Originally posted by CSBryant View Post
                  Ladies and Gentlemen,

V/R
                  If you desire to be JAG do like the LTC said and stay enlisted. No reason to go through OCS...focus on law school.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    If you desire to be JAG do like the LTC said and stay enlisted. No reason to go through OCS...focus on law school.
                    That's the usual route. However, I think that someone who is capable of being admitted to a T14 law school may want the option of more flexibility in his military career later down the road. That's something that a previous basic branch can afford a JAG officer.

The way I see it is that if he ships in January and attends any OCS in FY13, OCS and law school will never be in contention. The only area of friction is after OCS and when he has started law school. In order to avoid missing a semester (and probably, thereby, a year) of law school is to pick a BOLC that is shorter in length such as IBOLC (4 months).

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      That's something that a previous basic branch can afford a JAG officer.
                      I'm not tracking what you mean here.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        I'm not tracking what you mean here.
                        The issue of wanting to come back to a basic branch. I believe it's not possible for a DC who was never commissioned through a basic branch commissioning source.

Comment

That's the usual route. However, I think that someone who is capable of being admitted to a T14 law school may want the option of more flexibility in his military career later down the road. That's something that a previous basic branch can afford a JAG officer.

The way I see it is that if he ships in January and attends any OCS in FY13, OCS and law school will never be in contention. The only area of friction is after OCS and when he has started law school. In order to avoid missing a semester (and probably, thereby, a year) of law school is to pick a BOLC that is shorter in length such as IBOLC (4 months).
                          Lieutenant,

You could not have been more concise about my motivation for being in the ARNG. I do not wish to serve in a JAG capacity, but I do wish to serve. In fact, I have posted on this forum before about becoming an Infantry Officer. If I am lawyering full time in the civilian world, I would prefer not to report to drill and have to do more lawyering, unless the ARNG had a need for me to perform in that capacity.

As for being enlisted, I would prefer not to travel down that road. I was enlisted for four years in the USAF, and am committed to becoming an Officer in the ARNG.

You are directly on target with the flexibility issue, you seem to be familiar with what may be in store for me, career wise, and though I wish to give all I can to my country, there needs to be some give and take with the ARNG if I am to be able to successfully negotiate my law education/career and my duties as an Officer. I did not go back on AD for a good reason.

Colonel Ritchie,

Thank you very much for your input, you are the most senior and authoritative source of advice I know of on this forum. I do wish to avoid another enlistment however, if that is possible.

SSG,

It is not my intention to serve with JAG. I want to be a leader of Soldiers, preferably in a combat related capacity, but thank you for your input none the less.

Comment

The issue of wanting to come back to a basic branch. I believe it's not possible for a DC who was never commissioned through a basic branch commissioning source.
                            I think it is, been debated before, but I'm 88.6% sure it's possible if that branch will accept them, rank and all things considered.

Comment

If you want to serve as a basic branch officer I the Guard, then ask your law school if you can defer enrollment for a year to complete military training. You really don't want a big training obligation to fall in the middle of law school.

Comment

Working...
                              X