Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attending Law School while an ARNG CO.

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
    OP, again nothing to gain by commissioning. Here's a from a lawyer over at armyocs.com, while it talks about ROTC, it can be applied to you as well. Espeically when you're trying to Phase I/III.
    Sir,

I will be commissioned before going to law school. Are you referring to drills/2 week training, that they will impede me ?

V/R
    CSB.

Comment

Originally posted by CSBryant View Post
      Sir,

I will be commissioned before going to law school. Are you referring to drills/2 week training, that they will impede me ?

V/R
      CSB.
      The problem is there's very good chance you won't be commissioned by then as you'll most likely attend the traditional program. Combine it with BOLC and you're going to lock yourself into a career path that will not be very forgiving with law school.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        The situation is akin to buying a car. If a manufacturer is offering a 0% APR deal (all else equal), you're seriously not going to take it? Let me get this straight. You're going to pay cash up front instead of taking out an interest-free loan and putting that cash into something super safe like a CD?

The legal field - all around - is not as easy money as it once was. Firms all over the place, even prestigious firms, in NYC are not hiring or offering what they once were in the past. I would not bank on $150+k/year starting salary (in a extremely high cost area of living) even with a T14 education.
        Sir,

I have been reading much in regard to the economic troubles facing the legal industry at this time, however, I have also reviewed the employment and financial statistics for graduates of my preferred schools. Consistently, employment rates at graduation have hovered at or above 90% at all of my schools, in additon, only 2.23% of the graduating class were actually actively seeking work and could not find what they wanted.

The median salaries range from 120K to 160K per year, starting. Though the median is not necessarily representative of the given average in a sample, I am fairly confident that I can secure employment at or around that level.

V/R
        CSB.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          The problem is there's very good chance you won't be commissioned by then as you'll most likely attend the traditional program. Combine it with BOLC and you're going to lock yourself into a career path that will not be very forgiving with law school.
          Sir,

If I have to attend the traditional program, I will take the Colonel's advice and defer enrollment for a year.

V/R
          CSB.

Comment

I agree with RedLeg on this one but ultimately you know what you can handle workload wise and you have a couple contingency plans.

Comment

Sir,

When I was enlisted in the USAF, I was taking 15 credit hours per semester while deployed, working 6 days a week 12 hours per day, and maintained A's.

Since leaving AD I have been attending university full time since spring, working 53+ hours per week in an investigative management position, went through the enlistment process with the FLARNG and have been drilling at RSP (and have been placed in various leadership positions) successfully all while maintaining straight A's.

I am hopeful that I will be able to continue this trend through Law School. Now I am aware that Law School 1L year tends to be more stressfull than undergraduate studies, but I have accounted for this and will not be working while attending Law School. The schools I am looking at would offer me a full ride because of my GI Bill and their Yellow Ribbon Programs, retroactively. In addition, I will be paid as a 2LT (Drill Pay), collecting BAH from the full AD GI Bill (E-5 with dependants), and will likely take out a student loan for 20-30,000 dollars and let it sit in the bank, just in case its needed.

I am encouraged by most of the responses in this thread, it does seem feasible if you look at the possibility for deferment, or even more so, if I were to be accepted to AOCS and sent to BOLC shortly thereafter, I will keep trying to contact my OSM to see if such may be possible.

Thank you all again for the on-going input.

V/R
              Chris Bryant, SPC, FLARNG.
              Collk,

All expenses covered will leave me 700 dollars per month for food, gas, and any incedental costs. Also, books will cost more than the yearly allotment for such. 20 to 30k should make up for any discrepancies for the full 3 years. It would be horrible to run out of cash and not have work, etc. In even the worst scenario, I would have an Ivy League education with a price tag of 30k at most. ( I only plan on taking an interest free loan.) Compiled with a significant chance of obtaining a 150k+ per year starting salary, this amount of debt is more than manageable.

V/R
              CSB.
              The situation is akin to buying a car. If a manufacturer is offering a 0% APR deal (all else equal), you're seriously not going to take it? Let me get this straight. You're going to pay cash up front instead of taking out an interest-free loan and putting that cash into something super safe like a CD?
              Polo - check out his original statement. I stand by my original assertion that taking 20-30K out "to let it sit in the bank" is a horrible idea. Banks aren't paying any interest right now and you won't have easy access to the money in CD if you need it. Taking a small loan to cover living expenses is a different story.

I'm not sure your car analogy is valid in this case (btw, I'd take 0% financing if I was buying a car) because the education expenses are covered. In the context of how the information was originally presented I stand by what I said. Now that we have the real story, a 0% interest loan to make up the difference required for living expenses is probably not a bad move.
              Last edited by collk22; December 6th, 2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

1. Accept his commission in August/September and attend law school starting Fall 2014. Get himself an ATTRS reservation for a May to August IBOLC date. This arrangement requires more research into available slots for his state and playing it safe at IBOLC so that he is not injured. There is less room for error.
                2. He *may* also be able to defer his commission for up to 2 years. When he accepts it at that time (Fall of his last year in law school), he has 18 months to complete BOLC.
                1. It's possible, but it's risky. The Soldier has limited influence over BOLC dates. Given the likelihood and consequences of failure, I recommend taking extraordinary steps to avoiding that course of action.
                2. The Soldier would need to serve in a traditional enlisted slot for those two years while he waited to commission, which is another course he wishes to avoid.

With every course of action there are always prices to pay. That's why we need to determine what is most important up-front, so we know where to accept risk.

Comment

LTC Ritchie is correct in that it would be incredibly difficult to start and stop law school. If you want a commission now, then finish it and the associated training before beginning law school. If you do not, you are setting yourself up for failure in both your military and academic career. Law school is very demanding and unforgiving. There are no "do overs" in law school.

Comment

Sir,

Apologies for not responding to your post sooner, I was attending BCT. I am currently drilling in FL, and AOCS is not an option here due to funding. I believe the best course of action is in line with yourself and Colonel Ritchie's advice, and that being to defer enrollment for a year so I can compete BOLC. As of now, I should commission next August, if I successfully complete OCS.

Comment

Congrats on completing BCT. You stated that Drilling and law school should not be that much of an issue. I concur. Our Armory's XO is doing it with no significant problems that he mentioned to me (we speak as he is going to the law school I went to). I would note that he got deployed during law school so that is an inherent risk you face. Good luck with School and OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                        Congrats on completing BCT. You stated that Drilling and law school should not be that much of an issue. I concur. Our Armory's XO is doing it with no significant problems that he mentioned to me (we speak as he is going to the law school I went to). I would note that he got deployed during law school so that is an inherent risk you face. Good luck with School and OCS.
                        BMAC,

That is great news, and very encouraging! Do you mind if I ask how the deployment affected his education ? How did he re-enter law school ?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the specifics of his deployment. I only know he is a semester behind.

Comment

Working...
                          X