Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have few questions about joining

Hi there
    Been reading a lot of topics for the last few months, I am 32 and always wanted to join US army, my spouse was active duty back in 2007.
    When wanted to join, we had a business I had to run, then in 2009 everything went south and we had to declare bankruptcy, waited for a year then started to go to recruiters, some of them said you cant join since you wont be able to get a secret clearance, so I researched a lot and found out that if you can justify and explain your financial issues in the past and be straight forward on the board, you should be fine. Not its been almost 2 years, and active duty ocs is closed for me because of the age limit.
    So my question is if I join the guard in my home state, and serve my time, what are the chances of transferring to active duty in the future?
    I just started a law school overseas ( since it is much cheaper) which would take at least 2 more years, I have BA in Economics, so if I wait until I get my law degree and get admitted to the bar in my home state I can join JAG, but want to go and serve without waiting.
    Any suggestions, or maybe you know who had similar situation would be greatly appreciated

Re: Have few questions about joining

Originally posted by .iT View Post
    Hi there
    Been reading a lot of topics for the last few months, I am 32 and always wanted to join US army, my spouse was active duty back in 2007.
    When wanted to join, we had a business I had to run, then in 2009 everything went south and we had to declare bankruptcy, waited for a year then started to go to recruiters, some of them said you cant join since you wont be able to get a secret clearance, so I researched a lot and found out that if you can justify and explain your financial issues in the past and be straight forward on the board, you should be fine. Not its been almost 2 years, and active duty ocs is closed for me because of the age limit.
    So my question is if I join the guard in my home state, and serve my time, what are the chances of transferring to active duty in the future?
    I just started a law school overseas ( since it is much cheaper) which would take at least 2 more years, I have BA in Economics, so if I wait until I get my law degree and get admitted to the bar in my home state I can join JAG, but want to go and serve without waiting.
    Any suggestions, or maybe you know who had similar situation would be greatly appreciated
    Well, for one, you could have joined before, you just would have needed to enlist in a job that didn't require a clearance. You can get a clearance after bankruptcy if you have mitigating circumstances that can justify your explanation. (gambling or drinking is a deal breaker).

Transfering to active duty in current times is next to impossible, mainly because the regular army does not take prior service anymore.

Most importantly, JAG will not accept someone without a degree from an ABA accredited school.

Comment

Re: Have few questions about joining

+1. If if is not ABA accredited it is a waste of money, regardless of wanting to do JAG.

Comment

Working...
      X