X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAG Approval Process

I am seeking information regarding the steps in the approval process to become a JAG. My packet is currently at NGB and I have been told that it is complete, but no further information has been received. Can anyone explain what happens at NGB? Also, what are the other steps in the life cycle and how long does each step typically take?

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: JAG Approval Process

I would imagine your OSM would have explained all of this to you.

Anyway, the JAG section at NGB verifies your qualifications, to ensure that you meet eligibility standards. Your OSM can follow the packet's process online and give you some insight.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2012 View Post
      I am seeking information regarding the steps in the approval process to become a JAG. My packet is currently at NGB and I have been told that it is complete, but no further information has been received. Can anyone explain what happens at NGB? Also, what are the other steps in the life cycle and how long does each step typically take?

Thank you for your assistance.

Have you seen the jagcnet.army.mil website? To add to what LTC Ritchie said, you might also find a lot of your questions answered using this site. The FY12 board results are even posted. Here's a direct link: https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/8525769...2?opendocument.

Also, refer to AR 135-100, Chapter 2-3 for the application process for Officers. It will specify when JAGC applications are handled differently.

Comment

LTC Ritchie, you put great faith in OSMs, sir. Mine told me there was a bonus (there wasn't), there was SLRP (there wasn't), and that I'd be O-3 in about six months (I'm not). Now, except for the O-3 thing, I was fully aware that he was wrong. And I wasn't too concerned about being promoted. My dad was a reservist and spent max time in grade as a 2LT, and then changed units and put on 1LT and CPT at successive drills. Maybe not the way that's supposed to work, but I understood that reserve component promotions were hinky. Most of my National Guard classmates at OBC had similar stories. OSMs just don't know enough about JAG.

RS2012, jagcnet is definitely the place to start looking. It's a long process, but once you've put in your packet it's pretty much out of your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan View Post
          there was SLRP (there wasn't)
          Why wasn't there SLRP? Did you ever find the answer?

Comment

If the OSM isn't doing his job, then you need to direct attention to that. Your State's chief JAG is also a resource and an advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              I'm interested in the answer to this. My recruiter called the other day and asked if I wanted the bonus or the SLRP.

Comment

I think the JAG application process is just a whole lot of hurry up and wait (and from the various posts in this forum typical of the army/guard). You submit the application, wait forever, then fix something at the last minute and then repeat as necessary. That said, I have to say that my OSM has been pretty good about the process. He was able to answer most of my questions and did so quickly, the questions he could not answer were answered on this forum. As it stands, I'm up for June Boards and find out in August or September if I have been accepted.

My understanding is that the 6 month quote for 0-3 for JAGs is for active duty army, in the Guard it is closer to 2 years. Never thought I could get SLRP, but would love to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                  I think the JAG application process is just a whole lot of hurry up and wait (and from the various posts in this forum typical of the army/guard). You submit the application, wait forever, then fix something at the last minute and then repeat as necessary. That said, I have to say that my OSM has been pretty good about the process. He was able to answer most of my questions and did so quickly, the questions he could not answer were answered on this forum. As it stands, I'm up for June Boards and find out in August or September if I have been accepted.

My understanding is that the 6 month quote for 0-3 for JAGs is for active duty army, in the Guard it is closer to 2 years. Never thought I could get SLRP, but would love to get it.
                  Could you explain this? I'm not exactly sure what the 6 month and 2 years are referring to. I hope you're not referring to the DC process.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    Could you explain this? I'm not exactly sure what the 6 month and 2 years are referring to. I hope you're not referring to the DC process.
                    In the Regular Army JAG officers enter as a 1LT and are promoted to CPT in 6 months. In the Guard/Reserves they enter as a 1LT but stay there for quite a bit longer. Usually it is because they need to get a slot into the Basic Course.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      In the Regular Army JAG officers enter as a 1LT and are promoted to CPT in 6 months. In the Guard/Reserves they enter as a 1LT but stay there for quite a bit longer. Usually it is because they need to get a slot into the Basic Course.
                      Roger. Thanks.

Comment

Active duty JAs take about 6 months to get promoted, which means you make captain about two months after you start your job (since the first 4 months are at the Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course and the Direct Commission Course). All the active duty folks promote together on a list at the same time (I think that also is true for major, but not everybody promotes to major). Basically, every working JA you see on the active duty side is a captain or above. If they're a lieutenant, it means they're FRESH out of school.

The Reserves promote all together on a list just like the active duty guys, but their list comes out a little later. I want to say my Reservist classmates promoted somewhere in the 9-12 month range instead of 6 months. I'm not sure why there's a delay for them, but there is.

The National Guard is state- and unit-dependent. Some states promoted their JAs immediately when they'd reached minimum time in grade (including the back-dating for the time you spent in law school). For many Guardsmen, that ends up being somewhere in the neighborhood with their active duty and Reserve JAOBC classmates, since Guardsmen tend to drill for several months before going to JAOBC. For other states, like Alabama, they insist that JAs do not, in fact, get credit for the three years they spent in law school, and so we spend the normal amount of time as a first lieutenant that a line officer would spend. Also, you're somewhat at the mercy of the personnel shop at your unit. Since the Guard requires you to submit a normal promotion packet (rather than promoting on a list, like the AD and Reserves), that process can be painfully slow. Within the same state, some units get promotion packets moved down the line quickly, others do not. A JAOBC classmate of mine in another unit within Alabama will promote to captain approximately four months before me just because his unit got the packet pushed up to the powers-that-be in time for a particular Federal Recognition board, and mine didn't.

I should note that Alabama appears to be a worst case scenario. The Alabama Guardsmen from my JAOBC class are literally the very last ones to promote to captain, and it's only taken us two years. The guy who graduated two classes before me took about two and a half years. Line officers won't make captain in two years, so we're still ahead of the game. South Dakota, California, and Wisconsin also delayed their JA promotions for about a year and a half. There was such a flurry of promotions in the six months after graduation from DCC that I don't remember which states promoted quickly.

You're required to go to JAOBC within 2 years of joining the Guard, and you're required to have passed JAOBC to promote to captain as a Judge Advocate. I guess failure to get a timely slot could delay your promotion, but all of the Guardsmen I know got a slot within 9 months of becoming a Judge Advocate. Most got one within 6 months, meaning they may have been unable to get the first class cycle after they joined, but they caught the second one.
                        Last edited by SabreKhan; June 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan View Post
                          Active duty JAs take about 6 months to get promoted, which means you make captain about two months after you start your job (since the first 4 months are at the Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course and the Direct Commission Course). All the active duty folks promote together on a list at the same time (I think that also is true for major, but not everybody promotes to major). Basically, every working JA you see on the active duty side is a captain or above. If they're a lieutenant, it means they're FRESH out of school.

The Reserves promote all together on a list just like the active duty guys, but their list comes out a little later. I want to say my Reservist classmates promoted somewhere in the 9-12 month range instead of 6 months. I'm not sure why there's a delay for them, but there is.

The National Guard is state- and unit-dependent. Some states promoted their JAs immediately when they'd reached minimum time in grade (including the back-dating for the time you spent in law school). For many Guardsmen, that ends up being somewhere in the neighborhood with their active duty and Reserve JAOBC classmates, since Guardsmen tend to drill for several months before going to JAOBC. For other states, like Alabama, they insist that JAs do not, in fact, get credit for the three years they spent in law school, and so we spend the normal amount of time as a first lieutenant that a line officer would spend. Also, you're somewhat at the mercy of the personnel shop at your unit. Since the Guard requires you to submit a normal promotion packet (rather than promoting on a list, like the AD and Reserves), that process can be painfully slow. Within the same state, some units get promotion packets moved down the line quickly, others do not. A JAOBC classmate of mine in another unit within Alabama will promote to captain approximately four months before me just because his unit got the packet pushed up to the powers-that-be in time for a particular Federal Recognition board, and mine didn't.

I should note that Alabama appears to be a worst case scenario. The Alabama Guardsmen from my JAOBC class are literally the very last ones to promote to captain, and it's only taken us two years. The guy who graduated two classes before me took about two and a half years. Line officers won't make captain in two years, so we're still ahead of the game. South Dakota, California, and Wisconsin also delayed their JA promotions for about a year and a half. There was such a flurry of promotions in the six months after graduation from DCC that I don't remember which states promoted quickly.

You're required to go to JAOBC within 2 years of joining the Guard, and you're required to have passed JAOBC to promote to captain as a Judge Advocate. I guess failure to get a timely slot could delay your promotion, but all of the Guardsmen I know got a slot within 9 months of becoming a Judge Advocate. Most got one within 6 months, meaning they may have been unable to get the first class cycle after they joined, but they caught the second one.
                          Pretty sure I just said all of this in about three sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                            It just didn't exist for National Guard Judge Advocates when I joined up. We got no incentives whatsoever. The OSM gave us each a National Guard backpack after we swore in, and we all joke that it's a $10,000 backpack because we all got told there was a $10,000 bonus that didn't exist. Obviously, none of us was joining for the money, because we all signed the oath even after learning there was no bonus attached. We were also all aware that SLRP didn't apply to the Guard. If you were waffling between Guard/Reserve and Active Duty at the time I joined, it was a no-brainer. The Active Duty got about $70-80,000 worth of incentives to join (significantly more if they stayed on after their first commitment). And if you weren't sure you wanted to be a JA, it also paid more to simply enlist. Over the life of your first enlistment contract, with all the bonus money and benefits, you'd make way more money as an enlisted Soldier. Since I was planning to stay in for the long haul, the money eventually comes back around as an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                              Pretty sure I just said this in about one sentence or less.
                              You did, SSG. I just remember in the application phase, I was itching for every detail I could get, so I tend to be as detailed as possible on this particular forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X