X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponderings of a Minor

I'm a high school junior now and what has been told to me is that I can enlist split op with the guard now as a MP, G.I. Bill my way to college after A.I.T., take ROTC, and come out 2LT active Duty. I'd then like to work my way up a little bit until I can transfer to JAG and go to law school. What I'm really trying to ask is is my plan feasible and if not where should I start?

Re: Ponderings of a Minor

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
    I'm a high school junior now and what has been told to me is that I can enlist split op with the guard now as a MP, G.I. Bill my way to college after A.I.T., take ROTC, and come out 2LT active Duty. I'd then like to work my way up a little bit until I can transfer to JAG and go to law school. What I'm really trying to ask is is my plan feasible and if not where should I start?
    No, your plan isn't feasible. First of all, your objective is unclear. I'm gathering you want to be active duty JAG? If that's the case, why are you even considering enlisting in the Guard? Your first course of action should be to look into ROTC at the college you want to attend. If they have a program, or are partnered with a program, you can try to get a scholarship to pay for your undergrad. At that point, you'll have to work your butt off to place high enough on the OML that you have a good chance of receiving an Ed Delay so you can go to law school. If that happens, and your JD is in hand, you can apply for JAG at that point. Keep in mind, none of this is guaranteed.

I'm not really sure where enlisting in the Guard and then going ROTC fits into your plan. In fact, it really serves no purpose other than to complicate what you're trying to do, if not make it impossible all together.

Comment

That makes since. The only reason I want to go guard is because I want to have worn stripes at one time, I don't want to be an officer who hasn't ever experienced what the men under me haven't. I want the experience to make me a more effective leader, I lose nothing really but gain some knowledge, or so I think. I could be wrong that is why I'm asking. I would like to be active duty JAG and I know that CNU has a good ROTC program that should hopefully work. If I come back out as an officer what is the OML? I understand the guard actually complicates my plan but I feel like its something I should do.

Comment

OML - Order of Merit List. It's how you rank against the other officers competing for the same spots as you.

Question for the knowledgeable: if you're in the Guard enlisted, could you ROTC for an active-duty slot? Or go to college and pay for it with the GI bill, and go back to law school later on ROTC scholarship?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan View Post
          Question for the knowledgeable: if you're in the Guard enlisted, could you ROTC for an active-duty slot? Or go to college and pay for it with the GI bill, and go back to law school later on ROTC scholarship?
          Yes to both. Read the posts in my signature block below for additional guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            Yes to both. Read the posts in my signature block below for additional guidance.
            So does that mean that my plan is somewhat feasible?

Comment

By the regs? Yes.

In real life? This strongly depends on your skillsets, drive, and determination, not to mention luck in who's handling your paperwork that day and what the "needs of the Army" happen to be at any particular moment.

Comment

Yeehaw. What if I wanted to stay MP rather than JAG? Would that help at all?

Comment

Yeehaw. What if I wanted to stay MP rather than JAG? Would that help at all?
                  Getting an enlisted MP slot if available in your state is one thing; branching MP is another (again based on needs and OML).

Comment

I don't want to be an officer who hasn't ever experienced what the men under me haven't. I want the experience to make me a more effective leader
                    As a former enlisted; nothing wrong with this train of thought but many successful officers have never served as enlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      As a former enlisted; nothing wrong with this train of thought but many successful officers have never served as enlisted.
                      Alright. Thanks yal have been more than helpful, glad theres some good guys on this forum

Comment

Working...
                      X