Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Chaplain Questions?

Hey Everyone,

So I'm outlining my plans for the next 4 years (knowing things likely won't go as planned) but, I'm running into some speed bumps. I have signed a 6 year contract with the Guard and I am going to try doing SMP for the last 2 years of the contract. I go to basic training and AIT on September 9th and I will return late March. Upon completing SMP and being commissioned as an Officer in the National Guard I want to become a chaplain.

My current plan is to start school at ASU the Fall semester of 2014 where I will major in Business Management and minor in Religious Studies. However, I am not sure if a minor in Relgious Studies will be sufficient enough to become a Chaplain. Will a minor be sufficient, or would I have to major?

Re: Becoming a Chaplain Questions?

National Guard Chaplain requirements page:
    http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/chaplain

Comment

Appointment as a chaplain has several requirements, two of which are (1) a master's degree (traditional Master of Divinity), and (2) endorsement from a recognized religious agency (e.g., your denomenational board). Thus, your BA degree is a required step on the way to chaplaincy, but is not sufficient. Look closely at the link in the other message for additional background, and engage your denomenational authority for their requirements (which may exceed the Army's).

Comment

Alright that makes sense. In this case it seems it would make more sense for me to either major in Religious Studies so that I can be on the way to that Master's degree in a reasonable amount of time or look at other corps to serve in as an Officer such as Finance Corps.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stahlinski View Post
          Alright that makes sense. In this case it seems it would make more sense for me to either major in Religious Studies so that I can be on the way to that Master's degree in a reasonable amount of time or look at other corps to serve in as an Officer such as Finance Corps.
          I don't recommend that major. If you want to become a chaplain, you'll need an MDiv anyway. I recommend majoring in something that gives you some depth, as well as something you can use for a secular career if necessary.

Comment

To direct Commission as a Chaplain you need a Master's degree including 72 hours of real classroom hours this means no credit given for life experience or CHBOLC. I think they have recently changed it in the last few years from just having 36 hours of religion and 36 of anything, to having a 72 hr degree. But if you really want to catch the selection board's attention get a traditional M.Div of 90 or 90+ hours with languages. The M.Div is a three year degree of full time study.

To direct commission without being a chaplain candidate you also need two years of ministry experience. And as LTC has pointed out an endorser.

Traditionally the M.Div followed a degree such as science or the arts. The B.A. in Religion an academic degree, or Bible College is not prerequisite for the M.Div. I did a B.Div and the M.Div is essentially the same thing, thus very redundant.

If you want a career in teaching religion then get a B.A. in Religion. A lot of Master's degree programs, such as J.D. and M.D. do not require any specific degree, only courses. But as LTC has pointed out, its a tough path because you will get turned down a lot because of your education. I know, I have a two ministry degrees! If you do decide to study religion take it very seriously! Any serious academician should be looking for ways to get published and offer publication and peer-reviewed articles. There are several good academic societies for students of religion. Get involved and above all write constantly....get published and become the type of scholar that others take seriously. Do what you are passionate about. 80% of college graduates are not doing anything related to their undergraduate degree, and the Amy doesn't care what your degree is in most of the time. But becoming fluent in a needed foreign language would be a great value to the Army.

The world is wide open! Grab it by the anus.

The Chaplain Corps is the second oldest branch of the Army, second only to the infantry! Our color is black to reflect the traditional ministry color. Our Corps song is "Soldiers of God!" Our motto is For God and Country! We nurture the living, care for the wounded, and honor the dead! We are the UNITED STATES CHAPLAIN CORPS! Perform or Provide, HOOAH!
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; August 10th, 2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X