Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Chaplaincy

This is the message:

Hello! My name is **** *****. I saw one of your posts on the forum and saw you are a chaplain. I'm very interested in hearing more about life as a chaplain as I discern a calling into that.

I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman for 8 years (93-2001) and am now a ***** ***** pastor, awaiting ordination. If I join the NG I'd go in as a chaplain candidate until I am provisionally ordained next summer.

If you are open to answering some questions I might have I'd love to chat!

Thanks in advance,

Re: A question about Chaplaincy

Thank you for your message.

First, I must make clear that I am not a Chaplain. I am a Chaplain Candidate.

You may want to wait to directly access as a chaplain. I believe that there is a stipulation that you must be a candidate for a certain amount of time.

I take on all questions regarding Chaplaincy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
      I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman for 8 years (93-2001) and am now a ***** ***** pastor, awaiting ordination.
      WOW! I didn't know they had pastors for that! What is the world coming to?

Comment

Saw a news article the other day about a Pastafarian (a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) being disallowed to take his Driver's License photo with his religious headgear (colander) on. Wonder if the Army has any Chaplains from that faith?

Comment

No.................Private Palinathas they do not.

Comment

Curious, the military "recognizes" countless beliefs, to include Pastafarian, Jedi Knight and countless others by means of allowing Soldiers to claim these on their ID Tags. Would they allow such beliefs to be practiced?

Comment

I am positive they allow the belief to be practiced, as long as it doesn't intefere with duty (then again I don't actually know what their practices are). I just wondered if it was recognized enough to attract Chaplains.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                Curious, the military "recognizes" countless beliefs, to include Pastafarian, Jedi Knight and countless others by means of allowing Soldiers to claim these on their ID Tags. Would they allow such beliefs to be practiced?
                Everyone has the right in the Army to freely worship as long as it fits within DoD parameters....soldiers are guaranteed atleast one hour a week when available to worship as they choose fit.

Comment

I believe that there is a stipulation that you must be a candidate for a certain amount of time.

I hadn't heard that from my recruiter. I was told (so far) that I could come in as a candidate and then once I am ordained in 2014 I would become a chaplain.

Any idea on how difficult it is to go active duty once a chaplain in the NG?

Comment

Perhaps in the Guard, I'm 70% sure that in the reserve you must be a candidate for a certain amount of time. This is a question for the chaplain candidate manager at the NGB.

Statistically it might be more difficult to become an active duty chaplain than become a Green Beret. I've heard they take 5% of applicants. Therefore they may take 50 a year out of every 1000. Well, this is what I heard.

You really have to set yourself apart from the competition. Being a minority or a female helps, or a low density faith group, like being a priest, imam, or rabbi. I've heard they rank people according to three categories, ministry experience, education/training, and military experience. And they will take the top people....

Truthfully, I really don't know exactly how they decide. That's way above my pay-grade. But I know if you just meet the bare minimum requirements, that chances are slim. Unless you are a low density faith tradition. Perhaps it helps if you can access when a chaplain from your faith group is retiring. This is something you can talk about with your endorser, he/she will know the ins and outs.

90% of the chaplains in my chbolc class that were going on active duty also where doing 290+ on the PT test.

***I've been wrong a lot so don't take everything I say as gospel truth****
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Ordination is not the requisite feature for becomming a Chaplain Candidate, it is acceptance into and time limited progress towards completing an accredited M.Div with the minimum amount of required credits. If your demoninational ordination in 2014 is also contingent on your graduation with your M.Div or THd, ALONG with recognition from an approved religious organization (apparently the church of ***** **** ), then (meeting other criteria) can be assessed as a chaplain. The Candiate program is a strange tool used for some candidates during their graduate work. It's a good deal if you can get it. Non deployable status, O1 pay, job shadow opportunities.

Comment

Is it true that a chaplain candidate does not sign up for any service time obligation? When the candidacy time is over, does the candidate have the option of going active duty (if they are qualified), or even deciding this isn't for him or her?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          ***I've been wrong a lot so don't take everything I say as gospel truth****
                          Honest self-assessment but I will be reluctant to go to a Chaplain who is wrong a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by chaplainchad View Post
                            Is it true that a chaplain candidate does not sign up for any service time obligation? When the candidacy time is over, does the candidate have the option of going active duty (if they are qualified), or even deciding this isn't for him or her?
                            Yes, when Candidacy is over you can go on active duty. But you must have two years of post seminary ministry experience to go on active duty.

Yes, it is true a Chaplain Candidate has no service obligation. Therefore, he/she can quit anytime....unless you take money for your education then you have an obligation. But also the Army has no obligation to take you either, if positions are full or they don't want you....

When you are done with the chaplain candidate program you can assess into the reserves, Guard, or active duty.

You can only access for active duty three times.

Comment

Excellent news Chaplain Candidate

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/0...ously-031113w/

Comment

Working...
                              X