Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask me anything

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    How much longer are you going to bleed out this Chaplain Candidacy thing anyway?
    You can be a candidate for 6 years. I have been a candidate for 4 years.

I have the >30 months as 1LT to be a CPT. I'm very close, accessioning has been a debacle from all angles even my own.

I REALLY want to be a Chaplain, so that's why I keep hanging around.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

i have an idea who my future boss will be (LTC) i actually have spokenm to him through the process and my potential S2 is a cw2, ..i did a face to face interview with an 06 and i understand thats part of the application process as he has to write a letter of recommendation ( which he gracefully did)

Comment

from the regs , i understand after a year in the guard you can opt to lateral into active duty, is this the same for chaplains?

Comment

No. It is not you would have to access into the Active Duty. what regulations are you talking about?

Comment

cant place a hand on it, also e recruiter told me it was possible if i wanted to cross over

Comment

wow i actually thought it was only 2 years as a cc, so can they "bump" you up after a certain time? or are there things you choose to learn before youre ready to commision?

Comment

Originally posted by cremeofthecrop View Post
                from the regs , i understand after a year in the guard you can opt to lateral into active duty, is this the same for chaplains?
                cant place a hand on it, also e recruiter told me it was possible if i wanted to cross over
                Just like you quote of a verse from the Bible, you need to know the point of reference. Same here.

Comment

wow i actually thought it was only 2 years as a cc, so can they "bump" you up after a certain time? or are there things you choose to learn before youre ready to commision?
                  Chaplain Candidates can enter the program with just a Bachelor's degree and ecclesiastical approval: Seminary is 3 years long (full-time), and many traditions require other requirements for ordination.

With many chaplain slots filled, candidates are now in a holding pattern; being forced to be double slotted or find a state or service with openings.

Comment

Kinda sort of.

If you are already a chaplain your state can releases you early....but then you get to pay back any FTA, STA, SLRP....that you have used.

You apply just like you have done.

Many folks do go straight from the Chaplain Candidate program into the active duty.....but they are usually from a low density faith or have something else going for them.

Most of the people going on active duty from my CHBOLC class were scoring in the 290+ on the APFT.

Active Duty takes very very few of the people that apply. It's kinda competitive. So they don't give out many waivers for anything.

You cannot cross over if you are a MAJ or have crossed the age cutoff.
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 17th, 2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      Kinda sort of.

If you are already a chaplain your state can releases you early....but then you get to pay back any FTA, STA, SLRP....that you have used.

You apply just like you have done.

Many folks do go straight from the Chaplain Candidate program into the active duty.....but they are usually from a low density faith or have something else going for them.

Most of the people going on active duty from my CHBOLC class were scoring in the 290+ on the APFT.

Active Duty takes very very few of the people that apply. It's kinda competitive. So they don't give out many waivers for anything.

You cannot cross over if you are a MAJ or have crossed the age cutoff.

if there were any ADOS slots or AGR slots, wouldnt it be overall better then AD since you get pretty much the same perks as AD but get to go home daily?

Comment

Sure but there is like ONE per state and it's for a MAJ or LTC.....competition is fierce in the Chaplain corps. It takes about 13 years to become a major and 20 to become a LTC.

Comment

Re: Two most essential requirements

i had one in the bag, now they say i have to go to the single federal endorser and not any affiliated branch. how much longer can this take since they technically dont know me. that is my only callout rt now

thank you

Comment

Getting endorsed is no easy task. There are endorsers that have easier processes, but those are usually the ones that it would be difficult to go active duty with. Really alll it takes is a memo, but they make you jump all the hoops to get that memo.

In my tradition it took a group consensus. But after you get endorsed there is more waiting for all the boards, and if you need a waiver just hold on tight cause they are in no hurry at any level. Haha some people think getting DC is an easy path....

Comment

how do you call the office of the chief of chaplains?

Comment

You pick up the telephone and dial! BUT if you do call know who you are trying to speak with....such as the Accessions Officer, or the Chaplain Candidate Manager. Good folks up there....if it's an endorser problem then they CANNOT help you out. Sounds to me like you have an endorser issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X