X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask me anything

Then you are trying to be a Chaplain Candidate and not a Chaplain because you have not completed seminary. You will need approval from an endorser, before you can become a candidate. My recommendation is that you begin that process now because you cannot become a candidate without approval from an endorser. You could wait to become a chaplain without being a candidate, but becoming a candidate has it's advantages. A state is probably going to take a candidate over a direct accession because they spent some serious money on their training.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; November 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

You would probably not go in as a Captain because your ministry experience was completed prior to completing seminary. In the Army's eyes only ministry post seminary counts....If you become a chaplain candidate you will be a 2LT, but it's only not long before you get 1LT.

Comment

Ask me something about Chaplaincy, or Chaplain Candidacy!!!

Comment

Chaplain4me - First, thank you for the tremendous insight on military chaplaincy. Your posts are very detailed and descriptive! Let me give you some background on myself and a few questions for you...

I am a teacher. I have a Master in Education degree and two Bachelor degrees. I have had a calling to serve the Lord since a child, and I am now ready to pursue that path. I am currently looking into Master of Divinity programs, and should have no difficulty in being accepted. With that said, I have always felt compelled to serve my country. I have been researching the Reserves for all military branches over the past year. I would love to be able to serve in the military during the summer months when I am off from school (obviously if I would join and was activated the time of year would be irrelevant).

Questions..
          1. Is the process of candidate school any different for a reserve candidate vs active duty?
          2. Do you have any idea on the demand for Chaplains in the Reserves (any branch)?

Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for the AWESOME question and desire to serve the nation! I will try to clearly answer your question.

1. No. Chaplain Officer Basic Leadership Course for the Army is absolutely the same Active and Reserves. Active duty train with reserves. There are four phases which can be completed at once or incrementally.

There ARE differences between the Navy, Air Force, and Army Chaplain Candidate programs and training regiments.

There ARE differences in continuing Chaplain training Active Army vs Reserve. Captain's career course (after CHBOLC, initial training) is 6 months for Active duty and is completed online and with a 2 week course for the reserve component. (I think this is unjust).

2. I will not publicly attest to strength numbers. But the most likely openings would probably be in the Army reserve, however there are openings in some Air/Army National Guard states. Navy is recruiting, Air force is very difficult to get into and the Air Guard is a hidden jewel infrequently discussed. Chaplains come and go so there is no firm answer to your question.

The advantage of serving in the Guard is you will not have to travel across the nation to perform a weekend drill. Though the Army reserve is more flexible on when training can take place. In the Guard you could support stateside missions as well as Federal missions.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
              Chaplain4me - First, thank you for the tremendous insight on military chaplaincy. Your posts are very detailed and descriptive! Let me give you some background on myself and a few questions for you...

I am a teacher. I have a Master in Education degree and two Bachelor degrees. I have had a calling to serve the Lord since a child, and I am now ready to pursue that path. I am currently looking into Master of Divinity programs, and should have no difficulty in being accepted. With that said, I have always felt compelled to serve my country. I have been researching the Reserves for all military branches over the past year. I would love to be able to serve in the military during the summer months when I am off from school (obviously if I would join and was activated the time of year would be irrelevant).

Questions..
              1. Is the process of candidate school any different for a reserve candidate vs active duty?
              2. Do you have any idea on the demand for Chaplains in the Reserves (any branch)?

Thank you!
              1. R. There are no "Active duty chaplain candidates" Candidates are only in the reserve. You apply for active duty once you have completed all requirements.

Comment

Re: Two most essential requirements

i have 5 years prior service, got your in 00 from 101st now in the guard

i am currently a slotted 09s, in the NY NG. i completed my packet for DC as a chaplain because i have a masters in theology with a concentration in divinity, i will graduate (degree in hand) next month.

is there any way to prep for the board? all my callouts have been adressed and as far as i am aware my packet has been sent in? i am 35

thank you much
                Last edited by cremeofthecrop; July 15th, 2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

pls assist with my question below. thank you, chief kemosabe feel free to chime in as well

Comment

Congrats.

1. The Chief of Chaplains office makes the selections for accession.

2. The Board is more of a very serious formality. If the Chief of Chaplains board selects you, passing the board is more of a formality. The board will question your sincerity and ability for chaplaincy, and will find you fit to commission or not. As long as you are ready for chaplaincy, (which the Chief of Chaplains office already has, cough cough) you are good to go. The board can ask you ANYTHING! So I would brush up on everything! The Board will be composed of ANY officer 03 or above.

3. You could swear in immediately after the board, or you could have a more robust ceremony. Becoming a Chaplain is a big deal, so I would make sure everyone you want is there and the person who offers the oath is who you want.

4. Buy yourself a silver dollar or two. I think two because you can give one to an NCO who has helped develop you, and then give another to the first soldier to salute you.

5. You're in for an incredible ride, you'll love the training and what Chaplains do.

6. I hope I'm not far behind you in accessing....

7. CHBOLC is so much fun I would do it every year if they'd let me.
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 15th, 2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

thankx, i had been to an nco board in my former military life and was an E5p , will the board be anything close to that? and also, i hear you can be comissioned as an 02, how true is this?

Comment

getting an ecclesistical endorsement was definitely a task and a half but when i recieved it i felt more like that guy winning the last ticket at the willy wonka factory

Comment

Some endorsers are more difficult to attain endorsement than others. Congrats....mine was kinda middle of the road.

I have never been to a NCO board. There will be three officers in a room, you will go in by proper protocol. They will ask you a few questions probably about chaplaincy and your preparedness, such as why do you want to be a chaplain. Then they will ask you to leave, and decide. Then call you back into the room. Once they approve you, you can sign your officer's oath. But if I were you I'd have an official ceremony, with VIP's such as your spouse, endorser, unit commander your going to, state chaplain, politicians and such and friends.
                          Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 16th, 2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Yes, you will be commissioned as an O-2...1LT. It is 30 months to CPT. Unless you have about 8 years of ministry experience.

Getting promoted is becoming increasingly competitive, therefore, if you fly up through the ranks you may not have the experience necessary to compete with someone who's done their time at the Company level.

I know a CH CPT that got passed over twice and is now being retired.

Plus once you hit Major you CANNOT apply for active duty. Of'course you may get some active duty orders but you cannot access into active duty as a MAJOR.

As a 1LT you will be in a Battalion level position.

Therefore, everyone who you work with will give you some slack because you are just a LT and you cannot spell LOST with/o LT. Your fellow staff members will be CPT's/ O3. Your boss will be a LTC/O5, but you will probably be working a lot with the XO a MAJ and S1 probably another MAJ or senior CPT.

As an Officer you get two chances to promote at each rank and if you get passed over twice you are forced to resign. Usually, everyone gets passed over once, but on the second time you are DUN....done.

Chaplains are accountable to their commanders but they also have a chaplain chain, in each state there is one O6, COL (the old man) that has a big bird on his/her chest. There are a couple of Chaplain one stars at the NGB and then there is the Chief of Chaplains who is a MG, two star.

Hopefully, one day they will make the Chief of Chaplains of the Army a three star LTG.
                            Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

You have a steep learning curve, since you are DC w/o CC program. Consider buying and reading the Officer's guide (which is required at CHBOLC anyway) and the Chaplain AR and FM (free online).

Comment

How much longer are you going to bleed out this Chaplain Candidacy thing anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X