X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask me anything

The Chaplain could be a Major or higher. A battalion 1LT or CPT would not make those types of decisions.

Plus if you were a 56M, your chaplain may say that he needs you across the state at a different company, since you'd serve an entire battalion. The geographicl area you serve would be very large, which means lots of driving.

I would say your friends are E4 or below since very rarely are the NCO positions vacant.

Comment

I still think you're confused. What the heck are you talking about "Assessment and selection"??? People just enlist as 56m, there is no testing for it or special process.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        The Chaplain could be a Major or higher. A battalion 1LT or CPT would not make those types of decisions.

Plus if you were a 56M, your chaplain may say that he needs you across the state at a different company, since you'd serve an entire battalion. The geographicl area you serve would be very large, which means lots of driving.

I would say your friends are E4 or below since very rarely are the NCO positions vacant.
        Ones E5, the other is E4(P) which is why it confuses me as well...

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        I still think you're confused. What the heck are you talking about "Assessment and selection"??? People just enlist as 56m, there is no testing for it or special process.
        I am confused, the second part I put bold is why I'm confused....

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
          I am confused, the second part I put bold is why I'm confused....
          lol...ok well good, I think you're confused because someone is giving you bad information

Comment

So, last year I underwent a sort of revival of my faith and became close to God in ways I never imagined possible. I returned to my original game plan of pursuing my Masters in Marriage and Family therapy--which I've always wanted to specialize with military families. This got me started on a long roundabout way of doing things to get to where I am today.

I started to think that if I wanted to work specifically with that population, I should spend SOME time in the military myself. I didn't take myself seriously enough to be the Chaplain but to be honest, I've always wanted to be able to sport the cross on my uniform! I enlisted as an E-4 Chaplain's Assistant for the National Guard last July and left for Basic in Sept. By almost the end of January I had also completed AIT and graduated as a Chaplain Assistant. Once I got to my unit I became the lone Chaplain assistant with no Chaplain to assist! Spending time with my unit the past few months I have come to realize that maybe it's time I step it up and really go forth in this endeavor.

I'll admit, I've spent too much time trying to figure out where I fit in my unit since there's no Chaplain--I never felt like real leadership material, as far as teaching goes. But I keep finding myself in roles at church where I spend a whole lot of talking and have been asked to give "communion moments" and lead our Bible study on Sundays there. It's usually short enough notice that I don't have time to panic and try to back out of it. And I'm getting to the point now where it doesn't even phase me when I'm asked to step up because God's always shown up, even when I don't feel his presence as strongly going into speaking. I had a woman in my Bible study group that I was in charge of last weekend say she volunteered me to give the sermon some weekend (the service I currently go to is led by a couple of post-college (25 yr olds) who haven't gone to seminary but who are definitely led in ministry. The crazy thing is, I actually find myself hoping the opportunity comes.

I admit I am a little anxious to start this process with my unit. I wish I was a little braver at times, but the whole reason I joined the army in the first place is because I wanted to be able to serve those who serve and figured alongside them was the best way. We had a guy in our unit get killed in a domestic violence incident a week and a half ago. I feel like God is using this to really motivate me in bravery because our unit definitely needs the support right now. Especially with A.T. coming up soon. We had an E-7 who had taken on a sort of stand-in Chaplain role. Unfortunately he was only there one weekend that I had with my new unit and the next drill he was out processing. I think that means God is requiring me to go into this somewhat unknowingly of what to expect. lol

Anyway, I am putting the application together to get into seminary for a dual master's program in Divinity and Marriage and Family Therapy. I gather that I have to wait til I'm officially accepted into Seminary before I can really pursue figuring out what I have to do as far as the Army goes to become a Chaplain. Any thoughts as to what might ease this transition or how to go about it? Also, I'd like to see if I can find a Chaplain closer to where I live (I drill about 3 hours from my house... but I don't have a Chaplain right now either...) to see about talking to. Or just any useful suggestions in general?

Chaplain4Me--I admit, I've seen your postings on here at various points over the past year since I got ready to enlist and I was hoping to pursue some input since I've seen you post so frequently, and useful info nonetheless. lol

Comment

Becoming a Chaplain Candidate will be one of the most life transforming things you could do. I appreciate your inspirational story and testimony. Once you get into seminary, you will need an endorser to approve you to be a Chaplain Candidate. Your ambitions while doable are very large, earning two master degrees is a task since the Master of Divinity is three years long, and a MMFT is another two years. I would start with the M.Div, knock it out become a chaplain then go back and get your family therapy degree. It's unfortunate you do not have a chaplain now. I would be in close communication with the brigade chaplain as to what you should be doing. I really think you will enjoy ministry in the National Guard. Blessings to you brother. Prepare yourself for a long process to become a chaplain.

Comment

Would I be able to drill as a chaplain candidate while I am in seminary? If so, how much of CH-BOLC would I have to complete before I was able to drill?

Comment

I been seeing the stress on our Chaplain's face on all the ramp ceremonies we been having the past month.

Comment

Originally posted by seminarystudent View Post
                    Would I be able to drill as a chaplain candidate while I am in seminary? If so, how much of CH-BOLC would I have to complete before I was able to drill?
                    1. You begin drilling as soon as you are commissioned as a Chaplain Candidate.

2. You can complete CH-CBOLC in one shot all 13 weeks (which is what I did), or you can complete it in three different phases.

3. No, you do not have to complete CHBOLC prior to drilling, though the drills are much more exciting after you complete CHBOLC. In most cases (the states I've been in) you would drill at the operations chaplain unit, until they attach you to a real unit after CHBOLC.

4. There are not many Chaplain Candidate spots left in the National Guard. Be sure to check the other branches before giving up on becoming a Chaplain Candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      I been seeing the stress on our Chaplain's face on all the ramp ceremonies we been having the past month.
                      I bet it's hard on the whole unit, including the commander. And especially the families back home.

Comment

I am not a chaplain candidate. However, I am being told by the recruiter that they are going to open up a slot for me as a chaplain. Know that I am non-prior and will be 43 when I go in...all this taken into account, what rank would you guesstimate that I will be given? And, how is your rank determined?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Comment

It depends on your civilian experience. O2 or possibly O3 with 8 or more years of ministry.

Comment

Quick question...I am not a chaplain cadidate...I am non-prior...There are also no chaplain slots open in my state. HOWEVER, I have been speaking with a recruiter who seemed impressed by me. He told me that he forwarded my resume to the Chaplain (Colonel) who is over all the chaplains in our state...said that he had been working with this particular chaplain for a long time. And, he recommended to this chaplain that they find a way to use me. In my last conversation with this recruiter, he told me that the chaplain wanted to either have a phone interview or a dinner meeting. However, so far I haven't heard anything. How should I interpret all of this? Does it sound positive?

Comment

You have many options. The Army Reserve, the Navy Reserve, other NG states, the Air National Guard, the Air Force Reserve. The Army National Guard is not your only option.

It sounds promising, they can go over-strength by a certain number of chaplains. But if you are double slotted, you cannot be promoted or attend schools such as the captains career course. Which you still can but they will move you into the slot temporarily.

The state chaplain is a O5 COL, and is accountable to the MG of the state, and has many responsibilities, especially if they do full-time ministry as well. I know some of the chaplains you'd be working with, good folks in the mighty state of TX.

You should give them another call if it's been too long.
                              Last edited by Chaplain4me; November 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Thank you...However, the Army Reserve is telling me their are no slots...Air National Guard is telling me I am too old (I will be 43 when I finish seminary next Summer). And the Air Force Reserve is also telling me I am too old...This is why I am hanging my hat on what the recruiter last told me. Being a chaplain in the military is all I think about...lately it is the first thing that is on my mind when I wake up in the morning...

Thanks for the reply Sir. I guess I will continue to pray and follow-up with the recruiter. If you have any other advice for me, please let me know.

Thanks again for the information!

Comment

Working...
                                X