X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask me anything

Everybody, wants to be active duty, well almost everyone.

I have a particular interest in church planting, revitalization, and academia, so I may not end up as an active duty chaplain.

I am very happy with one weekend a month. If I am able to become a National Guard chaplain, or Army Reserve chaplain I will be a happy camper, although I cannot entirely say I will not be applying for active duty. I will only apply when I feel most capable of accessioning as an active duty chaplain.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Re: Two most essential requirements

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Are you a chaplain's assistant? The E6s that are in my unit are awesome at our unit's retreat and one of former assistants were featured in last week's army times on the taste tests on the new MREs. She was the first female shown and is now stationed at the Pentagon.

The Catholic Chaplain I interacted with downrange was with the 82nd and his homilies were so enlightening. He is a Captain. The two in my unit have been a Major and a Lieutenant Colonel and they are married. I saw a Muslim chaplain and a Jewish one (through an article) with a beard.
      No I am not a CA. Some say I'm just annoying. jk jk....Peace, Love, Happiness.

The beard thing is totally up to the Commander. As a Chaplain, the Chaplain's task is to execute the Commander's Master Religious Plan, CMRP. The Chaplain works directly for the Commander, as special staff. The Commander calls all the shots on Religous Accomodations. Therefore, it was that Rabbi's Commander that Allowed for him to wear a beard. That's why often you will see some people allowed to have beards and others not, it's up to the indiviual Commander.

Comment

Re: Two most essential requirements

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        No I am not a CA. Some say I'm just annoying. jk jk....Peace, Love, Happiness.

The beard thing is totally up to the Commander. As a Chaplain, the Chaplain's task is to execute the Commander's Master Religious Plan, CMRP. The Chaplain works directly for the Commander, as special staff. The Commander calls all the shots on Religous Accomodations. Therefore, it was that Rabbi's Commander that Allowed for him to wear a beard. That's why often you will see some people allowed to have beards and others not, it's up to the indiviual Commander.
        Thank you for that prompt response.

Comment

Ok. What does the medical entail and what are the general physical requirements for the chaplaincy? Are chaplains required to go through Basic training? Is there any sense in pursuing this at age 40. Is there any real possiblility of putting in a full 20 years as a part-time chaplain?

Comment

Sorry it took me 4 months to answer this. The physical is the commissiong physical which is pretty much the same as a what they do at MEPS for enlistees. They do check people over 40 more thoroughly. Chaplains go through a 13 week course at FT Jackson. It is awesome.

If you have all of the requirements, I think it would be okay to pursue this. It really depends on the state you want to serve in and your religious tradition. If you are a low density faith group, then they'd probably pick you up. However, it depends more on vacancies over faith group.

But there were a lot of people over 40 at CHBOLC, (chaplain officer basic). If you think it's something God has potentially ordained for yourself, I say pursue it. Though, if you call a state and they are full and have no positions, I would check with the reserve.

Being a partime chaplain is demanding yet rewarding, you'd be suprised at the number that hang in as long as they can. I've enjoyed my time as a chaplain candidate.
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Chaplain4me,

Were you already in seminary when you initially joined up as a chaplain candidate?

I'm just starting seminary and was trying to determine if I should wait until I was further in my studies before pursuing the chaplain candidate option.

Thanks!

Comment

To become a Chaplain Candidate you must be accepted to seminary. So yes I became a Chaplain Candidate very early in seminary. Were you thinking about National Guard Chaplaincy or Army Reserve or another service?

I think the CC program is beneficial to the Chaplain. The sooner you get accepted, then you can attend CH-BOLC, plus it helps pay for seminary, which you can do in phases or one lump, I did mine in one lump, which if you are Guard, you must complete CH-BOLC prior to becoming a 1LT. Plus you get to train with a chaplain who ministers to a unit, who in turns do all types of amazing training.

Becoming a Chaplain Candidate is a long and thorough process and is in itself no easy task. The biggest thing you need is a faith group that will approve you to become a chaplain candidate, who then later will probably endorse you as a chaplain.

As a Chaplain Candidate you are an officer and must purchase all of your uniforms and accessories, which adds up to about 1,000, though they give you like 600 of it back during CH-BOLC.

The chaplain candidate program is kinda like a courtship, there is no automatic guarantee that when you finish seminary you will become a chaplain. If your state approves of you as a chaplain, they may approve you to become a chaplain. Though there are other options like going to the Reserve or another service.

It is challenging to do both seminary and the Guard both at the same time. There's a lot of paperwork to keep up with, and knowing that there is no guarantee that you will become a chaplain is stressful.

But look at it this way, if you are appointed as a Chaplain Candidate. And your State pays for you to go to CH-BOLC, helps pay for your education, pays you drill pay on top of that. Wouldn't you think that you becoming a chaplain is in the State's benefit after expending so much on your training? The program is designed to allow you sufficient time to complete seminary and obtain full endorsement.

My only advice is that if your state is full on chaplain candidates, try other states, the Army Reserve, or another service such as the Navy.

There's nothing like it brother, I have found great satisfaction in being a Chaplain Candidate. I say the sooner the better friend.

Comment

I just wrote a HUGE reply but it needs to be approved by a moderator. Hopefully it will be approved soon. If not, I think you should try to become a Chaplain Candidate.
                  Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I just wrote a HUGE reply but it needs to be approved by a moderator. Hopefully it will be approved soon. If not, I think you should try to become a Chaplain Candidate.
                    Lol, in that case I look forward to reading it!

Comment

If you become a Chaplain Candidate you will need approval from an endorser, which will probably be a separate process in itself. Are you connected to an Agency?

It's a long process to become a Chaplain Candidate, but worth it's well worth the endeavor.

****Will this thread get to 50,000 views like my original reentry code thread?
                      Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 17th, 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

If you become a Chaplain Candidate you will need approval from an endorser, which will probably be a separate process in itself. Are you connected to an Agency?

It's a long process to become a Chaplain Candidate, but worth it's well worth the endeavor.
                        I am connected with an agency capable of approving and eventually endorsing me, but there are a few hoops I will have to jump through first.

Thank you for the very thorough response, and if I think of any more questions I know where I can ask them now.

Comment

Do you have any statistics on Jewish Chaplain's in the military? I have been looking, and it seems there are very few.

Comment

Originally posted by chaircitymatt View Post
                            I am connected with an agency capable of approving and eventually endorsing me, but there are a few hoops I will have to jump through first.

Thank you for the very thorough response, and if I think of any more questions I know where I can ask them now.
                            Did you see the post that was approved, that you missed yesterday?

This would be a good first step, going through the process of obtaining an endorser, who will probably have their own application process. After of'course a call to your state's Chaplain recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by JKornfeld View Post
                              Do you have any statistics on Jewish Chaplain's in the military? I have been looking, and it seems there are very few.
                              1. You should check out the story of the four chaplains, in the motivators thread.

2. No, but my guess is that outside of Christian chaplains, that they represent the second largest faith group in the Chaplaincy, but that's just a guess. We had a few potential Rabbi's and Rabbi's in my CH-BOLC class, though it was overwhelmingly Christian which in itself means a great multitude of traditions.

3. If you want an accurate figure, I guess you could call the Chief of Chaplain's office. Or call one of the Judaic endorsers, if you are doing research.

4. A good job is done at keeping the pool of Chaplains as diverse as possible to meet the needs of the troops.

5. Some people say that there shouldn't be chaplains. But the chaplain's duty is to protect the freedom of all troops to worship as they desire. Down range, or even at a National Guard unit, soldiers still need the opportunity to worship. In fact soldiers, at least on active duty by USC law soldiers are allowed one hour a week to worship, if time allows. I know if I was fighting for this nation, I would be a salty dog if no one gave me the opportunity to worship. In fact the Chaplain branch is the second oldest branch of the Army, second only to the Infantry. And if you read Bergen's book, you will see that they have played an important role in military endeavors since Rome, she evens has much to say about the history of Jewish Chaplains.

Blessings to you my friend!

Comment

Did you see the post that was approved, that you missed yesterday?

This would be a good first step, going through the process of obtaining an endorser, who will probably have their own application process. After of'course a call to your state's Chaplain recruiter.
                                I did see the post, and thanks for the info. I'll certainly start with those two steps and see where that leads.

Comment

Working...
                                X