Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is my service obligation after OCS or ROTC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my service obligation after OCS or ROTC?

Ref:AR 135-91

Key points:
    • All initial military service obligations are eight total years. This is your statutory (i.e., coded in law) military service obligation (MSO).
    • Your grand total of years of service must be at least eight years, combined between drilling and IRR.
    • Upon commissioning, a new officer incurs a contractual (i.e., as a condition of a benefit) service obligation. This obligation is for a minimum of six years drilling, plus the balance of any remaining statutory MSO in the IRR, if any.
    • ROTC scholarship recipients incur an obligation of eight years drilling, regardless of number of years of prior service, number of years of ROTC scholarship award, or category of scholarship (e.g., campus-based, GRFD, or Dedicated ARNG).
    • Soldiers may choose to continue to drill rather than spend time on the IRR list.
    • Individuals may add to their obligations by accepting incentives, e.g., chaplain loan repayment, accession/affiliation bonus, tuition assistance (whether State or federal). These incentives all have their own contractual obligations, so determine how this affects your obligation prior to signing for the incentive.

Common cases:
    1. Individual with no prior military service participates in ROTC; no ROTC scholarship; no SMP service. Upon commissioning, this person has an eight year obligation: six drilling, two IRR.
    2. Individual with no prior military service participates in ROTC; earns a campus-based ROTC scholarship; no SMP service. Upon commissioning, this person has an eight year obligation: all eight drilling, no IRR.
    3. Individual enlists in the Guard with a 6+2 contract, and later contracts in ROTC; no ROTC scholarship; by the time of commissioning, he has completed four years of Guard service. Upon commissioning, this person has a six year obligation: six drilling.
    4. Individual participates in ROTC; no ROTC scholarship; enlists in the Guard as an SMP for his final year; by the time of commissioning, he has one year of Guard service. Upon commissioning, this person has a seven year obligation: six drilling, one IRR (not two, because he had already served one year prior to commissioning, which worked down his statutory MSO).
    5. Individual with no prior military service participates in ROTC; earns a Dedicated ARNG ROTC scholarship; completes three years of SMP service. Upon commissioning, this person has an eight year obligation: all eight drilling, no IRR.
    Last edited by matthew.ritchie; April 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM. Reason: Expanded with additional information and detail
Working...
X